Military Families

Navy A School info

So DH is graduating boot camp Friday (YAY!!!)  I was looking for information on what A School is like.  What kinds of freedoms he will have, info about liberty, and just general information.  I know where he will be going and he will be there about 6 months.  Well last I talked to him he hadn't gotten his official orders, since he had just passed basic, so I guess it could change. 

I just wanted to research how much we will be able to talk, and skype, and if he can take leave for holidays, etc.  Maybe I'm jumping the gun researching now, and maybe it varies depending on the base and other stuff, but it gives me something to occupy my time.

Thanks!

Re: Navy A School info

• It's going to depend A LOT on his A School AND how he performs in that school.
  • Not sure about the Navy, but I can tell you a little about Army. LoL.

For the first couple of weeks it was a little stricter, but we still got to talk and text on a daily basis. He had his laptop so we talked on there too. After those first couple of weeks they were allowed weekends and evenings off after classes. They could go out and enjoy San Antonio (Ft. Sam) as long as they were back by like 9 on weeknights and 11 on weekends. There was a bar on post that was walking distance from their barracks and I know a lot of time was spent there. I even flew out and spent a weekend with him. Granted he couldn't stay with me, but we spent Friday evening and all day Saturday and Sunday together. It was nice.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageMeanMommyLady:
    It's going to depend A LOT on his A School AND how he performs in that school.

This is what I figured, and probably why I couldn't find anything googling it, but thanks for confirming it.  

• imageJoBieger05:

Not sure about the Navy, but I can tell you a little about Army. LoL.

For the first couple of weeks it was a little stricter, but we still got to talk and text on a daily basis. He had his laptop so we talked on there too. After those first couple of weeks they were allowed weekends and evenings off after classes. They could go out and enjoy San Antonio (Ft. Sam) as long as they were back by like 9 on weeknights and 11 on weekends. There was a bar on post that was walking distance from their barracks and I know a lot of time was spent there. I even flew out and spent a weekend with him. Granted he couldn't stay with me, but we spent Friday evening and all day Saturday and Sunday together. It was nice.

Thanks for the info!  That sounds like heaven after basic!!  I can't wait until I can go visit him. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what it is like instead of reading about it.

And I hope they have a bar on base for him.  He has been complaining about wanting a beer - although he doesn't get much sympathy from his pregnant wife!!

Thanks for the info ladies, I appreciate it!

• What is his rate? For DH during A-school he had 3 phases he went through. During phase 1 he had to wear a uniform everywhere he went and was not permitted off base liberty. Phase 2 off base liberty in uniform, but had a curfew (can't remember the time, but it changed on weekends/weekdays). Phase 3 he was able to go off base in civillian clothing. Different people got different phases at different times. Some people were stuck at phase 1 the entire time and others got to phase 3 rather quickly. It all depends.
  • hi!! I met my husband while he was going through Navy A school!! He went into submarines in groton, ct, so i don't know if it's different other places.  It seemed to me, like he was basically going to college.  In the beginning, he didn't have "duty" days because they weren't qualified enough yet, so they went to school for 6 hours and were then free to study (which they have to do ALOT) or go out into town.  He lived in a barracks room, which no one but people in A school can even get into the building.  If he didn't do well on exams, they he had to go to like study nights for 2 hrs a night.  Then every 5 weeks or so, the times of his classes would change, so first they were 5-noon, then noon-6, and even 6-midnight!! I think because of their instructors, they had to rotate.  He called me and we hung out all the time! I believe he had internet setup in his room, he may have had to pay for it though, like through comcast, and he was given "stand-down" for the holidays.  Which means either a week including christmas, or a week including new years, he got off and got to go home.  I don't think he got any other holidays off like thanksgiving.  If you want more info lemme know!!
  • imageJoBieger05:
    Not sure about the Navy, but I can tell you a little about Army. LoL.

Thanks for that info, I was wondering what AIT was like. H wants me to buy a second laptop and send our current one to him for AIT. I kind of gave him the side eye considering he will be there less than 2 months. Though, he could bring it on deployments as well. Hmmm.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"