Toddlers: 24 Months+

3 day Pting- just 2 or 2.5 and up??

whats your vote?

is the 3 day method really working for you if your child is 2?

are more parents finding success waiting until 2 1/2 -3 yrs.?

I know its when THEY are ready, but it seems everyone is giving it a trial week and then feeling guilty going back to diapers.... just trying to get a consensous.

Thanks!

MY PLAN?? - going for the three day plan in June when Im done with work for the school year. Giving it a week to see if shes ready or not. If its more me than her, then I will be enjoying my summer of DIAPERS!!! :D

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Mrs. Fitzsimons on 4/21/07.

Re: 3 day Pting- just 2 or 2.5 and up??

• The author claims 22 months and up.  We just failed and DS is just 2 yo.  I plan to wait at least 6 months to try again. 

I felt guilty going back to diapers after 4 days, but I would have lost my mind if I didn't.  And now 2 days with diapers again, and I don't feel guilty anymore.

And like you said "If its more me than her, then I will be enjoying my summer of DIAPERS!!! :D"     This was us exactly.  We were the ones trained to his cues, he didn't learn anything.  Good luck if you try it.  I am hoping I am a success story next go around.  It seems when the kids are ready it happens in a day or two.

• We are on day 4 and my DS still wets his pants sometimes and has yet to go #2 with this program.  DS1 is 2 and I also have an 8 month old at home with me.  I was thinking it wasn't working so fast with DS because I couldnt follow him around all day with DS2 needing me as well.

DS will tell me if he has to pee and will go to the bathroom.  It seems like he only pees a little then stops so 2 min. latter we are back in the bathroom to pee again!  So far no accidents today untill we went to a friends and he wet his pants in the car.  When we came home he went to the bathroom all by himself!  So, it's getting better!!

As of right now I am going to keep at it.  Lets just say this hasn't been a very fun 3 day weekend!  I don't want to put him back in diapers and get him all confused.  He understand that he needs to go to the bathroom to pee but is struggling with the #2 concept!  Maybe I should have waited another month or 2 when he would be 26-27 months old.  It's really hard to say.

• Loading the player...
  • I'm a SAHM. So it was a little easier for me vs. mom who works.

I didn't give up. I potty train him at 25 months.It only took 1 week. Of course there was time he pee on the floor or himself. He didn't like the feeling at all. Then at night he will pee on himself. I wonder to myself why?! It was because  i will give him something to drink right before bed. That was a big no no. So i stop and two hours before bed he will have his last drink & i made sure he used the bathroom before he went to sleep.

So its okay if they don't get it now. As long as there potty train before preschool is fine. Remember all kids are different.

• I tried for this 3 day weekend. She learned how to pull her underwear down but dd would pee then run to the potty to finish lol She's only 22 months. She did poop in the potty though. I kept her in her underwear during her 2 hour nap and she woke up dry. That's a start. I am a teacher and will also give it a try this summer
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • jen5-03jen5-03 member

I did it at 22mo with DD.

Disclamier: I didn't follow the plan exactly because a)I was too cheap to buy it so I just read about it here and elsewhere on the internet; and b) I didn't think she was ready for no diapers at night; oh, and c) she was already pooping on the potty and had not pooped in a diaper since 18mo.

So day 1 she had about 10 accidents and I was taking her to the potty every hour (I have tile floors so this wasn't a huge deal). Day 2 I let her run naked and she dislike the feel of pee running down her leg, total accidents: 2. Days 3-13, total accidents per day: 2. Day 14 accident free. After day 2 we did not stay home, she peed on public toilets and/or on a potty chair in our car.

She wore diapers at naptime for almost another year. She still wears diapers at bedtime.

- Jena
  • My DD is 26 months and she was very successful with the 3 Day.  I probably could have done it as soon as 25 months.  I don't think she would have been as successful any sooner.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS was almost 25 months old when we did it and it was a success.  I think it has nothing to do with the child's age, but more to do with their readiness cues.

Either way, good luck.

• This is our 4th day of hell.  She still wets her underpants every.single.time.  I followed this book to the letter and my DD was showing readiness signs when I started.  Now I'm trying to figure out whether I should continue during the week or go back to pull-ups.  The thing that kills is that she went pee-pee on the potty a couple of times day one, then only once day 2, and no times day 3 and 4.  She didn't wet the bed day 1, but wet it multiple times day 2 and 3.  WTF?  It's like the training is making her worse as the days go by.
  • From the very little time I've spent on this board it seems to me that a lot of ladies are WAY overstressed about potty-training.  From what I've read, *most* girls are trained by 2.5 and *most* boys by 3.  All kids are different.  I don't get going through a week of what multiple posters (even in this thread!) have called "hell" to try to force my kid to get there before he is ready.  PTing in my house will be a gradual process than happens on his schedule, not mine.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    DS1 born June 2008 | m/c at 9w March 2011 | DS2 born April 2012
  • I've made a valiant effort with DS who is 2.5, and he wants nothing to do with it right now. Nothing has worked in coaxing him to the "big boy" toilet. I figure I'll be patient, and keep working with him during the evenings and weekends.

I know it will "click" when he's ready. Smile

• imagevanillacourage:
    I don't get going through a week of what multiple posters (even in this thread!) have called "hell" to try to force my kid to get there before he is ready. 

Well, to be fair, I didn't expect hell.  After reading the book, I was pumped and thought that it would be a weekend that DD and I would spend extra one-on-one time together.  I bought a few puzzles for us to play together and checked out some board books from the library.  I brought down a toddler game that I had been saving in the closet.  I was looking forward to reading with her, playing puzzles, playing games, playing with her toy cars, ie, just being together.

I was actually *really* excited about having an extra-filled DD weekend.  I know how silly that sounds.  I suppose I will start planning those in with no potty-time pressures involved.

• *LrCg**LrCg* member
    We didn't do the 3 day PT (I hadn't read it at the time but now reading it we did something pretty close) but PT DS when he was 18 months.  He was ready- for months he'd tell us when he pooped and then started telling us before he pooped (we also used CD).  He picked it up very fast and easily and had no issues telling us.  However, we recently have a setback since he's back in daycare full time and he doesn't want to tell them when he has to go (however he was telling them for weeks when he had to when he was just there parttime).  So I think he just has to get use to being back full time.  The way I look at it is anyone I know over the age of 50 had their kids PT by age 2 and say its easier because you don't have to deal with control or stubborn issues.
  • image*LrCg*:
    We didn't do the 3 day PT (I hadn't read it at the time but now reading it we did something pretty close) but PT DS when he was 18 months.  He was ready- for months he'd tell us when he pooped and then started telling us before he pooped (we also used CD).  He picked it up very fast and easily and had no issues telling us.  However, we recently have a setback since he's back in daycare full time and he doesn't want to tell them when he has to go (however he was telling them for weeks when he had to when he was just there parttime).  So I think he just has to get use to being back full time.  The way I look at it is anyone I know over the age of 50 had their kids PT by age 2 and say its easier because you don't have to deal with control or stubborn issues.

My DD had the same set back when she went from PT to FT. However, when she went back to PT she has been accident free again. I think the FT days were just too long for her.

• imageMrsGeek:

imagevanillacourage:
    I don't get going through a week of what multiple posters (even in this thread!) have called "hell" to try to force my kid to get there before he is ready. 

Well, to be fair, I didn't expect hell.  After reading the book, I was pumped and thought that it would be a weekend that DD and I would spend extra one-on-one time together.  I bought a few puzzles for us to play together and checked out some board books from the library.  I brought down a toddler game that I had been saving in the closet.  I was looking forward to reading with her, playing puzzles, playing games, playing with her toy cars, ie, just being together.

I was actually *really* excited about having an extra-filled DD weekend.  I know how silly that sounds.  I suppose I will start planning those in with no potty-time pressures involved.

Same here : )
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I appreciate the success AND the struggle stories. BOTH are helpful to me.

Current update on my little DD. She has been waking up with a dry diaper from naps every day for weeks. The last week (when Im home not working) Ive been having her sit on the potty right after she wakes up to go pee. While shes sitting there, I go to the kitchen and get her snack. I tell her " I getting your snack and a drink, you sit and go peeps on the potty". Each time I get back into the bathroom, shes already peed and says " I did it" or "All done".  I give her toilet paper to wipe and she does it her self and throws it into the little potty, I then praise her, dump the pee in the big potty and she flushes the toilet and says" bye peeps!" Its so cute and Im proud of her.

I think my approach may be a little more slow moving then a 3 day weekend. Although the ideas are good and I will be applying them to the training process. I just dont see her ready for night training yet. and all day could be super challenging.

Good luck to all of us in PT land!! :D

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Mrs. Fitzsimons on 4/21/07.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"