Northern California Babies
Options

Hole at base of spine/top of butt crack

Okay so sorry for the really weird title, but at Addi's 2 month check up today the Pedi found a hole at the top of her butt crack/base of spine.  I'm suprised that they didn't catch it in the hospital or at teh 2 week check but the Pedi said it's common to not see it cause they don't man handle the babies as much until the 2 month appt.

Anyhow, I have to take her to Oakland for an MRI (I'm waiting for Oakland to contact me).  So I wanted to know if anyone had any experience with this? 

Re: Hole at base of spine/top of butt crack

• Options
    Reminds me to ask next week at our 4 month check.  Q has one.  I believe it's called a sacral dimple https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sacral-dimple/ds00753
  • Options
    DD has one as well, and we noticed it the first time we changed her.  I've asked at the hospital as well as my pedi, and another pedi, and they have all told me that it's normal, that it will fill out as she grows, and because it's shallow and you can see the bottom, there is nothing to worry about.  They also said that when you cannot see the bottom of the "dimple" they will do imaging tests to determine if it is spinal related.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

E had one and we discovered it when she was about 2 weeks old. My mom was staying with us at the time and I showed her and she said "oh yeah, I have one too. It's nothing to worry about." (DH was standing there with us and I think he puked in his mouth. Who wants to know that about his MIL?)

So b/c of that interaction with my mom, I didn't think twice about it. But now I'm wondering if I should ask my pedi about it...

• Options
    imageMrsJulieT:

imageMrs.BoomBoom:
    Reminds me to ask next week at our 4 month check.  Q has one.  I believe it's called a sacral dimple https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sacral-dimple/ds00753

Interesting...we were told that it would always be there and not fill in. 

I think it can vary. DH has one that is not filled in as do all the males in his family but DS looks like his might fill in. Time will tell I guess.

• Options
    imageMrsJulieT:
    imageSeasonalCook:

E had one and we discovered it when she was about 2 weeks old. My mom was staying with us at the time and I showed her and she said "oh yeah, I have one too. It's nothing to worry about." (DH was standing there with us and I think he puked in his mouth. Who wants to know that about his MIL?)

So b/c of that interaction with my mom, I didn't think twice about it. But now I'm wondering if I should ask my pedi about it...

I would check to see if you can see the bottom of it. If you can it's probably not a big deal if you can't I would talk to them.

Yeah, it was pretty shallow.

• Options

Jake has two actually and a crooked butt crack. I saw them at the hospital, they all missed them.

My daughter had an imperforate anus so I checked him ALL out once I could after he was born. They gave him an ultrasound and said he was fine.

They check them out to make sure it isn't attached to their spine. But if the baby is moving their lower parts fine I wouldn't worry too much, but hey I am not a doctor.

Try not to stress. 

• Options

My DD has a very large and dark birthmark in that spot.  No one seemed to care about it until her 2 month appt when we saw a different pediatrician.  He sent us for a spinal ultrasound (which was totally normal).  The fear with that kind of mark or a dimple is that the spinal cord might be tethered.  It is a variation of spina bifida and basically means that the cord is tethered by a ligament and didn't fully develop.  It is correctable with surgery.

If that is what they suspect I would definitely recommend you ask for an ultrasound, not an MRI (the latter would be WAY more traumatic for both you and baby and the ultrasound can give definitive results).  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

From what I am reading in this article https://bjr.birjournals.org/cgi/content/full/75/892/384

The spinal ultrasound is the preferred diagnostic test up until 3-4 months of age. So if you can get it done soon (and I can't imagine why you couldn't), that would be way way easier than doing an MRI and equally sensitive.

It is very unlikely that anything is wrong, but it is good to check it out if you can't see the bottom of the dimple. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageTatdmommy:

They check them out to make sure it isn't attached to their spine. But if the baby is moving their lower parts fine I wouldn't worry too much, but hey I am not a doctor.

My son and my sister's son have this too. My LO had an ultrasound done on it just to make sure, and it was fine. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    imageamyfelice:

From what I am reading in this article https://bjr.birjournals.org/cgi/content/full/75/892/384

The spinal ultrasound is the preferred diagnostic test up until 3-4 months of age. So if you can get it done soon (and I can't imagine why you couldn't), that would be way way easier than doing an MRI and equally sensitive.

It is very unlikely that anything is wrong, but it is good to check it out if you can't see the bottom of the dimple. 

That is GREAT that they can do an u/s instead of an MRI!!  When Caden was that young, there wasn't as much research about this, so when his Pedi discovered his crooked butt crack (which is similar I believe) we had to go the MRI route. (Scary, but everything turned out fine!) I can give you more info on this if you like (feel free to email me thru FB- or look at my Notes in FB, as I wrote about the MRI experience last June or July). 

Anyway- our Pedi said about 1 out of every 10 kids has a sacral dimple or crooked butt crack, so it is VERY common, but not as common to be an actual issue.  But if they can catch it now- if there IS an issue, that is a HUGE advantage! 

Best wishes!!!!!!  I hope it turns out to be nothing of concern!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"