Military Families
Options

Really wanting to get...

one of the retired war dogs. But, I've heard that it can take a really long time to get matched with one and be able to get it. I wish that I could have gone to Lackland AFB while DH was at Ft. Sam Houston. I would have loved to see the hospital for the dogs. They're such brave dogs and I would love to make one that can't go back to war part of our family. I was reading about one family who adopted one...it was a bomb sniffing dog and one day UPS came to drop off a package so the dog jumped in the back of the truck and sniffed all the boxes. Too cute. Those dogs are heroes, Has anyone heard anything about being able to get one?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Really wanting to get...

• Options

This is all the very little info that I have, sorry it's not much!

I have a friend that is currently in school cross training to be a K9 SF. He briefly told me one day that when the dog's retire, they first are asked to stay with their partner, if the partner doesn't want them, then they reach out to previous dog handlers, and then on to families. So like you said, I'm sure the process is long. He also told me that they usually reach out to families that have no experience with K9 dogs till last resort. Because they wouldn't want them to attack children etc due to training they had.

I hope that makes sense. Sorry again I am not that informative. If you can't seem to get any answers, I can ask my friend more specific questions and let you know! Good luck!  

image ~~~Jan 31st, 2010. Back together again.~~~
  • Options

My grandparents had a retired working dog many moons ago.  He was an awesome companion and watchdog for them.  

Sorry, I don't really have any info. about adopting one now.  I really just wanted to post this picture DH sent me.  They put goggles on him to protect his eyes from a helicopter landing.  Too cute.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Have you seen this yet? https://www.militaryworkingdogadoptions.com/  It may be able to give you some direction.
  • Options

Thanks for the info everyone!

Bootsie that is the most adorable picture! I love it :o)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagebootsie08:

My grandparents had a retired working dog many moons ago.  He was an awesome companion and watchdog for them.  

Sorry, I don't really have any info. about adopting one now.  I really just wanted to post this picture DH sent me.  They put goggles on him to protect his eyes from a helicopter landing.  Too cute.

Awe... he's like a doggie bad assz

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"