2nd Trimester

Hmmm...should I tell?

So I've been working with this sweet girl who's having a housewarming party today, and I'm completely excited to go. The problem is, I'm a contractor for her company, and I found out yesterday some of the other people from this client will be there too. I'm not sure if it'd be appropriate/professional to tell everyone at the party or wait until I have a formal meeting with them in the office.

The deal is, I only meet with these people face-to-face about once or twice a month, and I haven't said anything yet b/c I wasn't really showing until this week. It's kind of hard to hide it now, though. Thoughts?

He's growing up, but he'll always be my baby!

Nathan--11/4/10

...big brother to...???? Due March 2014!

Re: Hmmm...should I tell?

• I am also a freelance contractor who sees my colleagues only every few months. I told the people I was working with directly that I was pregnant as soon as I passed into the viability/2nd tri stage and once it became clear we were going to have to work out dates due to the birth and "Maternity leave" (I'm freelance so the term doesn't really apply.) But there was no formal kind of "attention everyone, I'm pregnant!" announcement. It was just something that would come up in conversation when I did see them face to face.

I'd play it by ear. Maybe try to get the host alone at some point and tell her first, but don't talk about it unless it comes up, which it's more likely and appropriate to do in a social situation than in a formal office meeting. For instance, I was at a cocktail party with some colleagues a few weeks ago and one was discussing her child and strollers and I was very interested and asked for recommendations because I was expecting.  

• Nice to hear from another freelancer...I was renegotiating my contract with this group as I passed into 2nd tri, so I kept quiet then b/c wasn't sure if that would affect anything, but I do want them to know I have a plan and understand that I don't get paid leave! The others are bringing their small children so that may be a really good way to bring this up. Thanks!

He's growing up, but he'll always be my baby!

Nathan--11/4/10

...big brother to...???? Due March 2014!

• Loading the player...
  • I think the simple fact that it's someone's house warming party should be an indicator that it's not your announcing party.  Don't steal their thunder of having a new home.  Wait until you see these people at another time, whether it be in a professional or non professional setting.
  • imagegemrae1225:
    I think the simple fact that it's someone's house warming party should be an indicator that it's not your announcing party.  Don't steal their thunder of having a new home.  Wait until you see these people at another time, whether it be in a professional or non professional setting.

Agreed.

• imagemamafoxX2:

imagegemrae1225:
    I think the simple fact that it's someone's house warming party should be an indicator that it's not your announcing party.  Don't steal their thunder of having a new home.  Wait until you see these people at another time, whether it be in a professional or non professional setting.

Agreed.

Yep. Definitely not the time.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • InvBKInvBK member

Even though it's not your party, if you're showing there's really not much you can do.  What are you going to do - lie when they ask if you are expecting??  The fact that you're pregnant can just easily come up in conversation. 

I wouldn't make a big huge announcement (that may take away from the host's party), but I also wouldn't hesitate to tell people.  It's not as if you plan on having an "announcing party."  And to be honest, if the host became upset because you told someone you were pregnant at her party, then that doesn't say much about her, does it?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"