Orange County Babies
Options

***Kirkette***

I remember that you were a rockstar with your running throughout your pregnancy and I was wondering if you'd mind if I ask you some questions. Thanks!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: ***Kirkette***

• Options

Sure, ask away! 

• Options

Thanks! I'm probably all over the place here so sorry in advance :)

I know everybody's different but I'm trying to figure out what's reasonable to do. I run about 10 miles a week total with the longest run being 4-5 miles. I signed up for the Disney half (my first) in Sept and I'm wondering if I can still try to do it. 

How many miles were you running before you got pregnant? Did you increase your mileage at all after you found out? Were you able to run your first trimester? When did you have to stop?  

• Loading the player...
  • Options

***Warning, long responses below***

How many miles were you running before you got pregnant?

Well Leila was a complete surprise. I was running between 30 and 40 miles a week  in preparation for the Long Beach Marathon. I  had just done the Disneyland 1/2 a few weeks before. On the weekend that we suspected something was up, I had gone for a 20 mile run on Saturday and ran Race for the Cure at Fashion Island on Sunday morning. I felt oddly lethargic Sunday evening, had a slight fever, and AF was a few days late.  I thought the lateness was due to long  hard workouts ( I really wanted to PR at Long Beach) and stress. I took a random pregnancy test on Monday. It instantly turned positive. Turns out, I was between 6-7 weeks along.  

Did you increase your mileage at all after you found out?

No, 40 miles is my mileage max before my knees start to hate me. I decrease mileage a bit to 25- 30 miles a week during 1st tri  because of reduced energy and morning sickness. During the LB Marathon, I switched from the full to the 1/2 mid-race because I was bored by the course, and didn't want to push myself. 

Were you able to run your first trimester? When did you have to stop?

Yes, I ran during the 1st tri.  I took advantage of the fact that I was still my normal size. Of the 11 races I did when I was pregnant , many of the longer races , including  3  half marathons,were in the 1st tri. I could easily run 10 miles without stopping for a bathroom or walking then. 

I stopped running around 26 weeks, the day after I ran the Surf City 5k. Baby and I were both healthy and comfortable. We had done the race in 35 minutes.  However,  my OB wanted me to switch to a lower impact sport. She said I could still walk in races, so I power walked  instead or running. My last 5k as a pregnant person was at 33 weeks.We finished in 45 minutes.

After that, DH was nervous about me giving birth at an event, so I told him I stop doing races. I still worked out my normal 5-6 times a week, with 3 days of strength training, right until Leila was born  via induction at 39 weeks.  

I really feel that exercising throughout my pregnancy  was one of the reasons I was able to push for 4 hours without pain or discomfort during delivery. The endurance came from somewhere. 

Also, it is less than  2 weeks postpartum. The swelling has gone down dramatically, I've lost 14.5 of the 27 lbs I gained during pregnancy (not including the baby's or the placentas weight), and my body looks very close to it's pre-pregnancy shape. I'm even comfortable enough to wear a bikini again. I just have to get used to my  gigantic G boobs.  

My advice is to take everything one day at a time, try to stick to a pregnancy exercise routine, and enjoy the process.  Know that your pace will change as you get further along. Stay hydrated, use the breath test instead of heart rate, and make sure not to over heat.  

Best of luck!

:)  

• Options
    Thanks for the detailed response, all of it helped so much. I remember seeing you on SP during your pregnancy and you've always been an inspiration. I'm so glad that you were able to keep running and that it's helped dramatically in your delivery and recovery. I definitely want to stay active as much as possible so it's nice to hear about your success. Thanks again, your little girl is so cute!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"