Military Families

slightly p.o.ed.

Ok, more then slightly. I really hate when people say that there is an epidemic going on in the military, all the wives are having babies! They sit at home bored and alone all day long and have nothing better to do then to pop out kids. Really?! I know its probably just my hormones that are making me blow this out of proportion. But, I'm offended by it. Yes, I may be at home all day, but its by choice. I am choosing to stay home and raise this baby, thankfully the military made this an option for us. What makes me even more angry...the girl that just said this is married to a Marine and is stationed here with us! The nerve of some poeple...

Re: slightly p.o.ed.

• I'm kinda new but I haven't heard anyone say this yet. Boy they are just gonna love me! Plus-A large percentage of the military are in their baby-having years and the AF at least seems very supportive of families and like you said, I also have the opportunity to SAH and it is not very feasible for me to have a career in my field when we are moving every 2-4 years. It's silly if people don't acknowledge these things. No body is having babies just out of boredom (that I'm aware of). That is crazy talk. Don't let it get to you. You want a family. That's a great reason to have kids.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Well, some military wives do work and we still pop out babies Stick out tongue

If anything military babies do come in waves...but it has been this way throughout our history. The whole "baby boomer" generation was following the end of war when the men came home. With how fast our troops deploy these days it is no surprise that we military wives pop kids out whenever we get the chance.

She sounds jealous...ignore her.

• Loading the player...
  • I'm all for working too! don't get me wrong! Yea, this girl is deff jealous..and very immature. She went as far as to delete me off her facebook? Whatever, I don't need her. I just find it very annoying that someone would actually say something like that. And I agree, it does come in waves..we just went the a major homecoming time here about 2 weeks ago so in about 2-6 weeks I'm sure the percentage will go up even more!

She then told me "I can't wait until my husbands EAS in 2013, we'll finally be back in a normal society." I told her just as many people in the civilian world and making and having babies too!

• I agree with everyone else.

However, try and just ignore it. She might be suffering with infertility, her DH doesn't want kids.. or a number of other issues that might make her say something like that.

She is probably just letting off some steam..

• DH and I are constantly getting the "you don't have kids yet!"  people expect military to begin popping out kids right away.  We are one of the few exceptions, in our late 20's been married for 6 years and are just now expecting our first kid.
  • imageRoseTor:
    DH and I are constantly getting the "you don't have kids yet!"  people expect military to begin popping out kids right away.  We are one of the few exceptions, in our late 20's been married for 6 years and are just now expecting our first kid.
    We got this A LOT. DH and I are both just about mid 30s and have been married 12 years. I can not tell you how often people were like oh no kids?  We had our little girl just a couple months shy of our 12 year anniversary which is just scandelous in some units haha. I worked all through our marriage until I had her and right now I stay home. I plan on returning part time in the next 6 months or so.  I ditto PP's, it sounds like she is jealous or having difficulty. We struggled through IF for most of our marriage, we just never discussed that with people in his unit.
  • imageRoseTor:
    DH and I are constantly getting the "you don't have kids yet!"  people expect military to begin popping out kids right away.  We are one of the few exceptions, in our late 20's been married for 6 years and are just now expecting our first kid.

I don't think this is just the military mindset...My 10 year high school reunion is this year and 1 of my old friends found me on FB and sent me a message asking me about IF treatments. I was so confused and when I wrote her back to tell her I didn't have IF she said "oh, I thought you just had your baby last year and most of our friends have 2 or 3 by now so I assumed you were in the same boat as me." WOW. Indifferent

• Sometimes I've found the best thing to do is just ignore :)
  • Playing devil's advocate, you're a 22 year old housewife.  You've chosen (by your own words) to stay home and make that your priority.  Maybe you're not having kids out of boredom, but you're not doing anything else from the sounds of it. 

To say maybe she said that because she's infertile is beyond stupid. 

Twin boys due 7/25/12
  • I never said she was infertile. I don't think saying it "you're not doing anything else by the sounds of it" is a little harsh. I've graduated from college and worked with my degree for 2 years...I've done what I wanted to do in that area for now.

Turns out the reason she said all this was because she, in fact, wants to start a family now but her husband told her he doesn't want kids so she has to work for now. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"