Success after IF

Moms - When did you take DC out?

At DS first ped appointment, the Dr. said that he would rather me not take the baby out for 12 weeks.  SERIOUSLY?  I thought that that was a bit extreme considering some moms go back to work at about 6-8 weeks and have to send their DC to daycare. 

Well, it has been almost 4 weeks and I have cabin fever!  I need to get out of this house.  The Dr. did approve walks outside (and we've done that plenty of times), but said no to all public places. 

How long did you wait before taking DC out?
~Olivia~

Re: Moms - When did you take DC out?

• Good grief - for 12 weeks!!??? that seems extreme to me.. But I'm not there yet either...
  • That seems WAY extreme to me. We had her out at the grocery store at one week old. I could never stay in that long. I would get out if I were you, at least go to the park or walk around the mall or something. It's not like people will come up and touch the baby or anything - I haven't had any problems with that - and if someone gets too close, tell 'em to back off. I've also heard people suggest carrying baby in a sling so that others can't even tell you have a baby with you.
  • Loading the player...
  • I think at 2 weeks we took her to church with us
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • oh man...your doc would hate me!  i think i was taking Hannah out at 2 weeks.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    "If you do not hope, you will not find what is beyond your hopes."
    -St. Clement of Alexandra
  • 12 weeks is a bit much.  I mean obviously no one wants to drag their little baby around if they don't have too.. but lots of women are back to work by then.  I will be.. I have to be.  I'll be back after 6 weeks if there aren't any complications.  Hopefully, DH can watch him at home for a while before he gets to daycare but I'm not even sure about that yet.  

• 12 weeks????  That is crazy talk!!  We took him out for the 1st time at 1 week old - just a quick trip to Target.  I can understand if you doctor doesn't want him to be places where he will likely be held or touched by a bunch of germy people, but grocery stores, target, etc should be fine!!  Get out there girl before you go insane!!
  • that is seriously nutty advice! we were told we could go out when virginia was just a few weeks old. we were advised not to let people/strangers touch her though. our dr suggested we use a sling instead of a stroller -- which only encourages people trying to handle the baby.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

2 infertiles' journey to 2 pink lines (and a baby girl)
    "our IF story"
  • Umm, 3 days old.  We had to stop at Walgreens on the way home from the hospital.  We went to lunch and the doctor the next day.  He leaves the house almost everyday.  My ped is cool with it and just said to have people wash their hands before touching him.  He did end up with a fever one night but it never amounted to anything.  He starts daycare tomorrow at 7.5 weeks.
  • Wow.  I went to the mall when Haylie was 1 week.  I would have gone crazy staying home.
  • Old School...we took DS out the first week. I did not ask for permission. I had been on bedrest for 3.5 months...I was not sitting in my house. He was in his carseat the entire time and no one touched him. We took purel for our own hands. Sometimes docs say this in the winter b/c of all the colds and viruses that are floating around, but if you take the proper precautions then you should be fine. Common Sense Prevails
  • 2 weeks.  I could stand it any longer.  We started errands and everything at about 3 weeks.  My doctor said that was perfect.

•  we went to target when E was 6 days old, and haven't stopped going out.

As long as no one touches him, I was fine with it. (and I was a high risk pregnancy!)
    2vc9jsg.jpg

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • trying the post thing for myself
  • imagedejavu:
    trying the post thing for myself
  • imagedejavu:
  • imagedejavu:
  • imagedejavu:
    imagedejavu:
  • imagedejavu:
    imagedejavu:
  • imagedejavu:
    imagedejavu:
    imagedejavu:
  • imagedejavu:
    imagedejavu:
    imagedejavu:
  • imagedejavu:
    imagedejavu:
    imagedejavu:
    imagedejavu:
  • imagedejavu:
    imagedejavu:
    imagedejavu:
    imagedejavu:
    imagedejavu:
    imagedejavu:
    imagedejavu:
    imagedejavu:
    imagedejavu:
    imagedejavu:
  • imagedejavu:
    imagedejavu:
    imagedejavu:
    imagedejavu:
    imagedejavu:
    imagedejavu:
    imagedejavu:
    imagedejavu:
    imagedejavu:
    imagedejavu:
    imagedejavu:
  • I took Ella out at 4 days old, they have to build immune systems somehow.....12 weeks seem very extreme.
    Ella- 8/22/08, Jules and Tuck- 12/15/10
  • We took Ben to church with us when he was 6 weeks old.  It was a long time before we took him out in public.  We would go outside and stroll around the house and stuff like that. 

I really do think Ben has not been sick very much and it's because we are so careful with him.  I read that babies have 8-12 colds a year and Ben is 16 months old, and he has had 2 ear infections, 3 colds, and a stomach virus.  He got over all of them quickly so I think he's immune system is pretty good.  Sure, he might get more germs when he's older, but at least he didn't get sick much when he was a tiny baby.

• right away. we took them to first dr appt day after we got back from hospital. we took them for walks outside everyday. took them to a picnic a week after they were born. my dr never put any restrictions on us.?
  • I think we had our first check up at 3 days old.  But we were out at the grocery store the next day.  I had her in my sling and it was December.  I was terrified she'd fall out or something, but I'm glad I did it.  It was good preparation.

I have no idea how in the name of everything holy you're able to stay indoors with a newborn for all this time.  I'd be going stark raving mad!!  Your pediatrician sounds a little ... conservative.

• When DS was a week old I took him to Kohl's because I needed to go Christmas shopping =)
  • Sadie was 9 days old when we took her out for the first time. We've not stopped since! She isn't 12 weeks old yet and I cannot imagine never have taken her out by now. I think it's unhealthy and extreme.
  • I took my daughter to the mall when she was 4 days old, it was in the middle of summer so I wasn't really worried about her getting a cold.
  • My doc said 2 months...we took him to his first public place at about 7/8 weeks, but we brought him outside on walks alot and to the in laws house.  i think as long as DC is in the stroller and not out in the open where a bunch of strangers could touch them or he could get germs from something I say it is fine ...
    Severe MFI resulting in IVF/ICSI #1 in Nov 2007. BFP!!
    Our beautiful son was born July 2008.
    2010: 2 IVF's,1 FET = 2 BFN's, 1 c/p :(
    Feb 2011-Unmedicated FET= BFP!! DS #2 born Oct 2011!!.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageMrs.OL:
    At DS first ped appointment, the Dr. said that he would rather me not take the baby out for 12 weeks.  SERIOUSLY?  I thought that that was a bit extreme considering some moms go back to work at about 6-8 weeks and have to send their DC to daycare. 

Well, it has been almost 4 weeks and I have cabin fever!  I need to get out of this house.  The Dr. did approve walks outside (and we've done that plenty of times), but said no to all public places. 

2vc9jsg.jpg

• imageMrs.OL:

2vc9jsg.jpg

• imageMrs.OL:

2vc9jsg.jpg

• imageMrs.OL:

2vc9jsg.jpg

• imageMrs.OL:

2vc9jsg.jpg

• imageMrs.OL:

2vc9jsg.jpg

• imageMrs.OL:

2vc9jsg.jpg

• imageMrs.OL:

2vc9jsg.jpg

• imageMrs.OL:

2vc9jsg.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"