Baby Showers

baby shower for 100 people

Yeah, I can't believe it myself!  it's probably going to be a little bit over 100.  I decided to rent a place, and yes we're doing this ourselves since it's been 12 years since I had my last child, and my first true baby shower.  This is his first and my third! Everyone is so happy for us.  But I do need some help on the menu (since were going to do the cooking ourselves with help of course). And, if anyone has ideas on games since this is going to be a couples shower with children included.  And the prizes, the hostess gifts.... UUgh... I'm tired just thinking about it!!  lol!

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Re: baby shower for 100 people

•  

imageboriquababy09:

I decided to rent a place, and yes we're doing this ourselves 

And the prizes, the hostess gifts.... UUgh... I'm tired just thinking about it!!  lol!

MUD...hosting it yourself but need ideas on hostess gifts? Riiight? Just ask yourself what you would like as a gift for throwing your own shower. Why are all the crazies from Jersey?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Food Allergies to Eggs, Milk, Peanuts, Tree Nuts & Beef
    Challenged Soy and tolerated it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Well, unfortunately for me, my family lives far away and everyone is old. This is going to be a big baby celebration for us, and a family get together!
  • Wow! great replies! If you have nothing nice to say, dont say anything at all! 

Obiously, I'm having alot of help from alot of people, I just had to rent a place.  Invites are out and Im getting alot of responses!!!   Which is great! I just want some replies from people who are not judgemental, and closed minded.

And I'm From NYC.  And yes I could get real crazy! lol!

• cadencaden member

imageboriquababy09:
    Well, unfortunately for me, my family lives far away and everyone is old. This is going to be a big baby celebration for us, and a family get together!

Everyone is old? What does that matter? If this shower is a big "family get-together," then obviously your family living far away doesn't matter.

• It dosent matter that my family is old, there is no way possible that my family that lives far away was going to throw a baby shower for me because of thier age. Do you understand now???  I love having family gatherings but, this is my first for this amount of people.  I want to throw a large party for both of our families, and this is the best excuse to get the family together!! Bringing in a new life is the best feeling in the world!! And, as a mother of 2, that are high honor roll students is another blessing! I was just asking for advise about large parties, cause this is my first baby shower, and we are just looking to cut some corners on the party that's all!

So for my family is 50 people and his is 50 also! Im buying everything needed for the party, (Which is almost done) I picked the theme, I bought some prizes and I have some ideas for the menu.  Just wanted to know if anyone have any ideas on large parties.

So please, if anyone has any ideas (for large parties) on the food, giveaways, games, and a couple of inexpensive gifts for the 2 people ( the hosteses) that will be helping me from begining to the end that would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

• I went to a baby shower where they made dishes of enchiladas that were easy to make and delicious. Quesadilla or burritos? You could have stuff laid out so people can pick what they want on there's. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • ctanactana member

I am doing my best to respond to your original post in the nicest, non-judgemental way possible: 

It just seems odd to be throwing that large of a gift-giving party for yourself.

This is why it often helps that someone throws it for you. So you, as an expectant mom, does not have to cater her own shower.

That said, and your situation being what it is, if your party is daytime, I would suggest deli trays as lunch is typically what is expected. That way you do not have to worry about things getting cold.  Pair it with some side salads of some kind, and you have a luncheon menu.

You say nothing of your budget or what you'd like to feed your guests.  Do you have anyone helping you the day of your shower that you can talk to about options ahead of time?

Throwing a shower for someone is kind of a big ordeal.  Throwing your own for 100 people is madness.  Good Luck.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ctanactana member

I am doing my best to respond to your original post in the nicest, non-judgemental way possible: 

It just seems odd to be throwing that large of a gift-giving party for yourself.

This is why it often helps that someone throws it for you. So you, as an expectant mom, do not have to cater your own shower.

That said, and your situation being what it is, if your party is daytime, I would suggest deli trays as lunch is typically what is expected. That way you do not have to worry about things getting cold.  Pair it with some side salads of some kind, and you have a luncheon menu.

You say nothing of your budget or what you'd like to feed your guests.  Do you have anyone helping you the day of your shower that you can talk to about options ahead of time?

Throwing a shower for someone is kind of a big ordeal.  Throwing your own for 100 people is madness.  Good Luck.

• it's like a wedding.  for a baby.  it's dumb.  don't do it.
  • When I threw a baby shower for my bestie, she had about 100 people at her shower (she's a popular girl) so the easiest thing for us to do was a bunch of smaller bite sized appetizers. Like deli meat and cheeses, fruit and veggie platters, rolls, pastries. You don't want to try and really feed 100 people, just give them stuff to nosh on. I think that may be your best bet. Or maybe a bbq, its easy to feed people hot dogs, hamburgers and chicken. Don't get yourself overwhelmed and good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • I agree with PP I would say keep it simple. Meatballs, finger sandwiches etc. For that amount of people the simpler the food the better.
  • I'm not going to touch the whole you are throwing a shower for yourself b/c I agree with pp

With that said - 2 different cuisines feed a crowd well.  

Italian (lasagna, breadsticks, caesar salad, caprese apps)

Mexican (make your own tacos, salad, chips, beans, etc)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • No comment other than this...you might want to find your self some hostesses.

• Well, thank you for your comments! enchiladas, I like very much!  Having our families together is our idea, and yeah, it's like a wedding party, but alot less expensive!  The hours are from 2- 6pm so I guess dinner will be served. I cant help it if I come from a large family and everyone wants to help and chip in a lil bit! I think it's a great thing! So, Yes I do have alot of people helping, my job is already done! lol! All I did was rent a nice place that was really cheap, and buy the decorations and main things for the party.

Suggestions for a dinner party, or the party prizes???

Here are some things I wanted like, ravioli and meat sauce, a green salad, a cold pasta salad, chicken stew, rice with red beans, and some other stuff.

• Oh ,and my hostesess dont want me to see how they are setting it all up, Which is pretty cool!  So I'm still going to be surprised! And yeah, you could say I am very popular and as real as it gets!  I have alot of support from my family, and I'm not really doing anything!   (YES!!) I wish I could do a BBQ but its going to be indoors.  :(  .

So buffet style, italian food sounds good, I was going to get chicken fingers and stuff like that.  I want to make it very simple cause Im not the one thats going to be stressed, just excited to see my family that is flying in from all over!

One of the hostesses is going to buy the cake, shes also making cupcakes, and lolipops! I also bought a foundue machine ( for $40 ) I figured it would look so cool surrounded by strawberries and cookies and other fruits.

The games I have in mind are:

the poopy diaper game         guess how many safety pins in a jar

mold a baby with clay           diaper a baby blindfolded

drinking bottle game             baby word scrambler

Well how many games are you supposed to play??? Are these games enough??

HELP!!

• imageEastCoastBride:
    1st post, throwing your own shower,....  eh, I'm calling MUD.

And it's her third child.

• ctanactana member

Good luck with everything.  Despite offers of help, I still think an Italian style, dinner-party Baby Shower for 100 people in which you will do the cooking yourselves will be far more work than you realize.  But by all means be sure to report back to us how the shower goes...and good luck.

I think you may be ahead of yourselves with the games. If you are doing all of the cooking for your own shower, how on earth do you think you'll coordinate games too?  You won't be playing games anyway, your guests will. You will be making sure you have sterno and the food is OK. But you say you have helpers so who knows.  If you do have helpers, let your helpers coordinate the games.

• I have some people that came forth and offered thier services to me.

like 3 people for the food      2 people for the games

1 person for the garbage/making sure everything there is plenty out and is neat

I have a DJ                  1 person for annoucements

My kids and thier friends will give out crayons and coloring books to the smaller kids

This is a couples shower, so any suggestions for other fun games??? 

Did I forget anything else???

• ctanactana member
    imageboriquababy09:

I have some people that came forth and offered thier services to me.

like 3 people for the food      2 people for the games

1 person for the garbage/making sure everything there is plenty out and is neat

I have a DJ                  1 person for annoucements

My kids and thier friends will give out crayons and coloring books to the smaller kids

This is a couples shower, so any suggestions for other fun games??? 

Did I forget anything else???

Are your 3 people for food doing the actual cooking? What about serving of the food? What about replenishing and manning the food station?

The 2 game people should come up with and run the games, not you. That's what you have them for.

No mention of favors.

Who will man and setup your fodue bar?

Who will cut and serve the cake. This for 100 people.

No mention of who will be coordinating the opening of the presents/helping you do that.

And last but not least, DJ?  What are you announcing?  Will there be dancing too? If so, don't forget the chicken dance and the electric slide. Seriously this all sounds like a wedding.

• I am not doing the cooking , the setting up, the decorating, nothing.  Everyone is doing all the work for me.  I will walk in when guests arrive and when everything is done!

I will definently report back to everyone, i want everyone to know how well the party went!

Yes, this is my third child, and??? They are 13 and 12 yrs old..

• ctanactana member
    imageboriquababy09:

Yeah, I can't believe it myself!  it's probably going to be a little bit over 100.  I decided to rent a place, and yes we're doing this ourselves since it's been 12 years since I had my last child, and my first true baby shower.  This is his first and my third! Everyone is so happy for us.  But I do need some help on the menu (since were going to do the cooking ourselves with help of course). And, if anyone has ideas on games since this is going to be a couples shower with children included.  And the prizes, the hostess gifts.... UUgh... I'm tired just thinking about it!!  lol!

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Perhaps I read your original post wrong, where you clearly say you were going to do the cooking yourselves.

Yeah I'm going with the others on this one. MUD.

• imagectana:
    imageboriquababy09:

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Perhaps I read your original post wrong, where you clearly say you were going to do the cooking yourselves.

I never said me personally. My family will be doing some of the cooking, and some will be bought. I really didnt get into details of who is making the food, in the opening post. Im just open to some ideas on menus, that have had experience with a large crowd.

Sounds like some haters here. lol!

• My DD and her DH just had a barbeque/welcome baby party for their 2nd baby boy.  There were 70 people there (including 12 kids).  It was crazy.  They grilled hamburgers and hotdogs (actually MY DH did all of that).  I made most of the food...potato salad, pasta salad, baked beans, mac and cheese and 2 jellos.  My DD got all the condiments and 3-4 different kind of chips plus a cake and some cookies for dessert.  Drinks were beer, wine, pop (different varieties), iced tea, juice boxes for the kids and bottles of water.  I wouldn't worry too much about games, especially for the adults.  Just try to keep in mind the ages of the kids and have things for them to do.  She had riding toys and big balls and some lawn games.  Obviously if you are renting a space you might not be able to do that.  4 hours is a long time to keep kids entertained.  I wouldn't worry about entertaining the adults...they will talk and talk and talk and hopefully keep an eye on their own kids.  You reallly shouldn't be calling it a shower if it is for yourself though...that is tacky since it is requesting people bring you presents.  As for my DD's party...I'd say half of the people brought a gift for baby...which was great because the only thing she needed was clothes (kids were born in different seasons) and diapers and that is what she got!
  • Thank you Hopefulmom!

Well there is a long story behind this, and it's a very touching one. If I was to explain then everyone will understand why we are doing this. Everyone in our family knows and understands, and is very happy for us and would never think it was tacky. This baby is very special to us and to our family, that is why we are calling it a baby celebration!  :)

I did get some things to keep the kids busy and I also figuered I will have a couple of games for the kids too!

My DH has so many friends that he doesn't have to do a thing either!

Again ty for all the comments!

• LMAO!!!  Great picture!!

Are your 3 people for food doing the actual cooking? What about serving of the food? What about replenishing and manning the food station?

The 3 people will be helping eachother with the setting up and prepping the food, some will bring trays of food and some will buy the food, and 1 of them will man the food station.

The 2 game people should come up with and run the games, not you. That's what you have them for.

I actually got the ideas from them, I was trying to get some more ideas, thats all. Just keeping my mind open.

No mention of favors.

Beautiful glass baby bottles that have a pink candle in it that smells really good!

I have a person for that, its very simple to set-up.

I have a couple of people that will back eachother up on this!

No mention of who will be coordinating the opening of the presents/helping you do that.

My cousin is the coordinator/announcer that will be introducing the people that will be doing the games, and us the mommy and daddy.

And last but not least, DJ? 

I figured it would be cool to play some baby tunes while playing games.

What are you announcing?  see above

Will there be dancing too? Who knows! It would be nice to have some cool music in the backround.

If so, don't forget the chicken dance and the electric slide. Seriously this all sounds like a wedding.

You dont know the circumstances, so dont judge. Its a baby celebration!!!  If you dont like, dont answer, so be it!!

Thank you again

• ctanactana member
    imageboriquababy09:
    imagectana:
    imageboriquababy09:

PLEASE HELP!!!!

I never said me personally. My family will be doing some of the cooking, and some will be bought. I really didnt get into details of who is making the food, in the opening post. Im just open to some ideas on menus, that have had experience with a large crowd.

Sounds like some haters here. lol!

So clearly at this point it's a matter of symantics.

Where I come from, when you say "since were going to do the cooking ourselves with help of course" that means you yourself is participating in the preparing of the food.  If you really meant to say 'so and so' then you really wouldn't say 'we'. 

And maybe it's a Jersey thing, but I don't get the shower with a DJ and announcer thing.

But seriously have fun at your shower!

• imagectana:
    [

And maybe it's a Jersey thing, but I don't get the shower with a DJ and announcer thing.

If you'll scroll a few posts up, you'll see that this baby is more special than other babies.  She said so.
  • ctanactana member
    imageboriquababy09:

LMAO!!!  Great picture!!

The 3 people will be helping eachother with the setting up and prepping the food, some will bring trays of food and some will buy the food, and 1 of them will man the food station.

I actually got the ideas from them, I was trying to get some more ideas, thats all. Just keeping my mind open.

No mention of favors.

Beautiful glass baby bottles that have a pink candle in it that smells really good!

I have a person for that, its very simple to set-up.

I have a couple of people that will back eachother up on this!

My cousin is the coordinator/announcer that will be introducing the people that will be doing the games, and us the mommy and daddy.

And last but not least, DJ? 

I figured it would be cool to play some baby tunes while playing games.

What are you announcing?  see above

Will there be dancing too? Who knows! It would be nice to have some cool music in the backround.

If so, don't forget the chicken dance and the electric slide. Seriously this all sounds like a wedding.

You dont know the circumstances, so dont judge. Its a baby celebration!!!  If you dont like, dont answer, so be it!!

Thank you again

I don't need to know the particular details to know this sounds like the best. shower. ever!

• ctanactana member
    imageRoxyLynn:
    imagectana:
    [

If you'll scroll a few posts up, you'll see that this baby is more special than other babies.  She said so.

Of course. Just like this is no ordinary baby shower.

•  

So clearly at this point it's a matter of symantics.

Where I come from, when you say "since were going to do the cooking ourselves with help of course" that means you yourself is participating in the preparing of the food.  If you really meant to say 'so and so' then you really wouldn't say 'we'. 

But seriously have fun at your shower!

That because your are being very closed minded, but thats ok!  You dont have to get anything I say. I just asked for some suggestions thats all! Not someone to critizise my wording. Wow! I guess you have nothing else to do.

Im going to have a blast at my shower!! lol!!

Have a great day critizing everyones posts and dont forget to check thier spelling too it must be a Maryland thing!! lol!!

IM FROM BROOKLYN, NYC!

• ctanactana member

Dear OP,

How can I make this simplier for you to understand? Symantics is not the same as spelling.  I was saying 'symantics' due to your wording choice - you said "we're doing the cooking ourselves" - it implies you are actually cooking the food. Then in subsequent posts you completely back-peddaled and said that you never said you were doing the cooking, other people were, and that all you had to to do was show up.  But I digress. Whatever your original post was meant to say, and what your day ends up being, really doesn't matter. Do what you like, and have fun.  

And your ID says New Jersey not New York, hence my wondering if inclusion of a DJ and announcements is a Jersey thing. I have never seen it done here in Maryland nor am I familiar with it being done at Baby Showers.

Honestly, I could care less about spelling. It's just that over the course of this entire thread your query took on a whole entirely different meaning because of your symantics (again, that means choice of words not spelling).  But I'm splitting hairs. Have a blast at your blow out!!  

• ctanactana member

imagevincourmiranda:

Totally agree. This is one of the better crazy baby shower posts.

• *** EXCLAMATION POINNNNTTTSSSSSS ***
  • Wow.  Just wow.  I think the pps have summed it up nicely.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"