Two Under 2

Am I crazy to attempt this solo trip?

I'm going to be bringing the girls home to the US this summer without DH, who has to stay here for work a bit longer than us.  The flight would be 15 hours, stopover, then another 2 hours.  We'd leave around noon, so I would have a good 8 hours before even attempting to get them to sleep.  I'm pretty comfortable on my own with them, but DD1 can be a real pill and has thrown some pretty exceptional tantrums.  I would of course be prepared with all manner of entertainment and snacks, but you still just.never.know how they'll behave.

My other option is to fly out a family member to travel back with me, but that'll cost me $1,200, and they'd have to return in a different cabin than us anyway (we'll be flying business).

I really want to just bite the bullet and go it alone, but am worried I will regret it 1 hour into our journey. :)  WWYD?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Am I crazy to attempt this solo trip?

• I'm sure you'll be fine. I guess I don't see it as a choice, really, since a family member can't sit with you anyway. What about someone meeting you at your stopover?

• Is there any way for you to wait and come back with your DH?

imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the responses, guys. 

Re: the stopover, I could, but it doesn't really gain me anything.  It's the 15 hours that I'm worried about, not the final 2...

Re: waiting for DH, this is really my only option to be able to spend any considerable time with my family, who I haven't seen in nearly 2 years.  He just can't get that much time off work.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would say craziness is relative Wink If I hadn't seen my family (& wanted to) in 2 yrs, I would take a big breath mulitple times through the trip and remember why I was doing it. I think it would be stressful (my #2 is still inside, so take this w/ a grain of salt), but it would be worth it to me. If they melt down on the plane, you won't be the first parent to have a melty baby/toddler. Go for it and have fun!
  • imageechildre:
    I would say craziness is relative Wink If I hadn't seen my family (& wanted to) in 2 yrs, I would take a big breath mulitple times through the trip and remember why I was doing it. I think it would be stressful (my #2 is still inside, so take this w/ a grain of salt), but it would be worth it to me. If they melt down on the plane, you won't be the first parent to have a melty baby/toddler. Go for it and have fun!

This is kind of what I think as well!  And get a nice flight attendant on your side at the beginning of the 15 hr leg :)

• I say go for it. People tend to help out a lot when they see you're by yourself with two little ones. The kids will be easily entertained in the airports by just walking around and looking at the planes and people. I think the hardest part will be for you to get all your gear on and off the plane. Good luck and have fun.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • There's no way in hell I'd do that.  I made a flight from TX to CA and back with my 2u2 and it was pretty awful.  And my kids are pretty chill most the time.  I'm not sure I'd survive 15 hours.  No way.
    the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"