Who has taken Hypnobrithing classes? — The Bump
Natural Birth

Who has taken Hypnobrithing classes?

I had my first class this weekend.  I'm doing a condensed version (3 saturdays), and our instructor is very new (she's only taught the program twice before).

I'm just wondering what experiences you had with your classes, especially the first two or three. I'm assuming that if the instructor's name is certified with the Hypnobirthing website, that all instructors need to teach the course the same way.

I really had to look past her style of teaching (I don't think she explained things very well....but I've read the book a couple of times already, so I new what she was referring to), and she spent the better part of the time, talking, and very little time demonstrating. We did go over a couple of relaxation techniques, which I thought were fantastic (one 10 minute script was amazing, when she brought us out of it, I felt as refreshed as though I had taken an hour nap!)

I was a little disappointed in the quality of the videos we were shown (like 80s homevideos of women giving birth using Hypnobirthing), but the message was clear....that for some women, this method is effective, and birth doesn't have to involve screaming like a banshee....

Anyway, I'm starting to ramble.  I just want to compare my experiences with the course to others.

Bunny Love: 6 months old already! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Who has taken Hypnobrithing classes?

• I took them. We had five two-hour sessions, and I was a little disappointed in them, but I sort of feel like you get out of hypnobirthing what YOU put into it (ie, practicing the breathing techniques, doing the scripts, etc). Our first class was the history of hypnibirthing, the second was pregnancy and preparing for labor, the third was labor, the fourth was fear release and breastfeeding, and the fifth session was newborn stuff and wrapping up anything people had questions about.

We watched some weird videos as well (one was Russian women giving birth in the Black Sea with dolphins swimming around them...yeahhhh...) My instructor was also a bit "hippie," she spent a lot of time drawing creative pictures on a big board while she was talking and sort of rambling through random stories about births she attended. 

The most useful thing about the classes, I think, was DH learning the birth process and some massage techniques. I liked the videos of actual people using the techniques, because you can see how it can work, too. Also, the instructor was really, really good at getting us all relaxed with the hypno techniques and scripts...she would do at least 15 minutes at the beginning and again at the end of the class.

Anyway, I haven't given birth yet, but I've been practicing since 20 weeks, some of the breathing techniques have been useful for when I can't sleep, too. I am interested to see how it all works out and hopefully we get the birth we want! Good luck with your classes.

• i've been watching some videos from youtube, that might be helpful for you.
  • Loading the player...
  • I loved the class! The videos were a little dated, but I think newer videos would pretty much show the same thing, so it didn't matter to me.

I can tell you that it was hugely empowering and attitude-changing. I went into the class hoping to find a method that would help me avoid an epi, and left feeling so excited for my baby's birth. I know it will be an amazing experience and I really can say I have no fear whatsoever--I can't wait!

• I loved the class! The videos were a little dated, but I think newer videos would pretty much show the same thing, so it didn't matter to me.

I can tell you that it was hugely empowering and attitude-changing. I went into the class hoping to find a method that would help me avoid an epi, and left feeling so excited for my baby's birth. I know it will be an amazing experience and I really can say I have no fear whatsoever--I can't wait!

• We took a five-week class. I was a little annoyed by our instructor- she talked a lot about herself and her births, and the other couples in our class were very different from us so I felt a little out of place. I wasn't convinced until the class where we practiced the 20 minute script and after we were done the teacher asked us how long we thought the script was- I thought it was 5 minutes! It showed me that maybe this would work.

I delved in, read the book, practiced the visualizations at night with DH, downloaded Marie Monaghan's scripts onto my iPod and listened to them every night and during my daily bath, and practiced my deep relaxation daily. And you know what, it WORKED! It was very easy for me to get into deep relaxation during labor, I was calm throughout, I visualized the depthometer during my entire eight hour labor (it's just where my mind went), arrived at the hospital at 9cm after only four hours of labor, and had a wonderful natural birth. After my son was born, I had over 15 hospital staff, including my OB, in my room asking me how I delivered this baby, my first, so calmly and quickly with no meds. No one could believe it. I highly recommend hypnobirthing, but it is what YOU do with it that matters. Good luck! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards