Minnesota Babies

Was anyone induced? any advice?

HI all,

I am now 2 days past my due date ):

The doctor scheduled an induction for next Wed. I am concerned as I think that going natural will yield a better outcome on the body versus forcing it to go.  

Was anyone else induced? any complications? any advice for me?

Thanks!!

Re: Was anyone induced? any advice?

• I was induced at 41w4d.  I had a normal delivery with no complications.  I worried a lot about it beforehand, but it turned out fine. 

If you are concerned about it, you could ask your doctor about giving you a few more days past 41 weeks to decide. My doctor wouldn't even discuss scheduling an induction until I was 41 weeks, which I think is standard for a first pregnancy. You may have a non stress test and a biophysical profile ultrasound to make sure everything is still ok with baby, and if so, they may let you go to 42 weeks before intervening.

• I was induced a little early due to my B.P. It took 2 1/2 days for my body to finally respond to the meds, once it did it was fine if I could choose to be induced again I would.
  • Loading the player...
  • I was induced at 40wks5days b/c my fluids were getting low.  I was able to do deliver with no pain meds. We had no complications and had a healthy 8lb 3oz little boy. 

I would express my concerns to my doctor to see why he/she feels it is necessary to induce that soon.  Good luck! 

• I was induced at 41w with my first. I had Cervadil overnight then Pitocin the next morning and they broke my water after a few hours on Pitocin. I pushed for 3 hours, but her head kept coning so they used a vacuum to assist and she was out in 3 pushes. They also realized after delivery that her shoulder was stuck in my pelvis.

My second was a little acrobat and would not stay head down. She was breech at 37 weeks so they scheduled a version. The next day at the version she was head down. At my 38 week appt, she was breech again so they did the version and tried to induce. The induction didn't work so they sent me home. At 39 weeks she was transverse so they scheduled me for another version and an aggressive induction. Finally that time she stayed head down and the induction took some time, but was a successful vaginal birth with no further complications.

They induced #2 early both due to her acrobatics and the difficulty delivering my first at 41 weeks. My doctor thought inducing early would mean she'd be smaller and get stuck in my pelvis, but my early bird was born the exact same weight as my overdone one :)

imageimage
  • I was induced at 40w5d because I starting having mild pre-eclampsia at my 40 week appt. My midwife would have let me go to 42 weeks if it weren't for the pre-eclampsia. I had the cervidil inserted at 8:30pm and by 1am I was in labor. They ended up removing the cervidil at 3am because it was making things progress so quickly. I never had to have pitocin and was able to have a normal delivery.

Photo taken at 16 months old
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was induced at 41w1d.  I didn't need cervedil, I was already dilated to 3 I just wasn't having contractions.  They started pitocin at 9:30am and I delivered at 11:22pm.  I had to push for 3.5 hours.  DD dropped and her face was facing my hip instead of down so it took alot of pushing and manual rotation to get her out.  If he had been facing the right direction it would have taken no time at all.  I was happy with my induction, it went very smooth.  I got an epidural (part of my plan) and basically I relaxed and watched tv with DH all day.

photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Anniversary
  • I wasn't fully induced as my water broke, but I had no contracts so they started me on pitocin I was still able to have the natural labor that I planned/wanted.

Good luck.

• hbach83hbach83 member
    I was induced with DS1. His due date was 7.12.04, I was in severe pain from sciatica and agreed to be induced if he didn't come in the following 4 days. So I was induced on the evening of 7.16. I was hooked up to the monitors and after an exam, the midwife said my cervix wasn't very ready to go and hadn't thinned or dilated practically at all. So they gave me the cervidil capsule (internally) and said I'd just stay overnight to let my cervix open and then I'd start on pitocin in the morning (which I was NOT thrilled with - I hated the thought of using Pit). Within an hour of placing the capsule, I was actually contracting regularly and so no other intervention was needed and I was very glad. I had 9 hours of labor and 30 min of pushing and gave birth in the wee hours of the 7.17. Everything went really well and I love that the cervidil was the only medicine I used during my L&D. This all happened at FV Riverside. Great hospital.
    Mom to Jace (7/2004), Cade (2/2009) and baby girl (5/2019)

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I was induced at 41w.  We had a feeling that my baby was going to be big.  Dr was estimating over 9.5 lbs.  I also had a lot of amniotic fluid. 

I didn't need cervadil, so I was given pitocin around 7:30 AM.  They broke my water around noon.  In all, I was in labor for 17+ hours and got to the pushing phase, but after 1.5 hours of pushing the dr told me that the largest part of the baby was no where near the narrowest part of my pelvis yet.  She recommended a c-section.  DS ended up being only 8 lb 4 oz! 

Even though I had a c-section, I don't blame the induction.  We had an inkling it would end up that way.  DS's head was in the 90th percentile!

GL!

• SeaMamaSeaMama member

I was induced at 14 days past my due date.  I too hoped for a natural delivery - went to a midwife, etc. 

I was in labor for 34 hours and then had a C/S due to baby's failure to descend fully into the pelvis (I pushed for 2+ hours).  Anyway, not to scare you - AT ALL - but my real advice would be this:  PLAN for a C-Section!  As a backup, but just in case.  I did not read a single thing about them, I was so sure I wouldn't have one and I really regretted it, and I think it made it more scary. 

In the end, I don't regret anything, me, my husband and my midwife did everything we could to go natural and in the end when the time came, we made the only decision there was to make and so I don't have any labor trauma or anything. 

But when I got home, I didn't know what I was in for, and DH hadn't planned for extra time off work, etc. due to extra days in the hospital.  I didn't have any help for myself since he had to go back to work 3 days after we got home and I couldn't do anything. 

Seriously - have a backup plan just in case!  And GOOD LUCK.... stay calm, and hopefully you go into labor before next week!  It's SO hard to be overdue!  You're almost there, mama!  And once you meet your little one - it's really true - none of this will matter.

Hugs and cheers!

• With DS, I went into labor on the day I was scheduled to be induced. I was 9 days overdue. It actually worked out great-they couldn't take me that morning because they were so busy, so they said to come in at 3pm. Contractions started at 7am, I labored at home, went in at my induction time, and contractions were 5 minutes apart.

With DD I had my 40 week appointment and her heart rate was high so the doctor sent us over to the hospital. The doctor I normally see was working on the floor, so she decided to start an induction-I was over 40 weeks, heart rate was a bit high, my cervix was favorable, and I was dilated to a 3. She broke my water to get labor going and then I just waited after that (no further induction steps were taken-she wanted to wait and see if breaking my water would help me because I was already starting on my own). They checked me awhile later and I was a 6. That's when the nurse could feel a squishy butt rather than a head :( Baby girl had gone breech, so I ended up with a c-section. I don't think it was because I had my water broken; I think it was just bad luck.

You still have a few days, so you still may go into labor before your induction date. That happens a lot!

• I was induced at 41 weeks.  I had prostaglandin gels instead of cervadil.  I had them ordered for three days.  On day two the contractions started.  I had pitocin that night.

Pitocin contractions are about a million times worse than natural contractions.  Seriously, really terrible.  So if you are planning for a med-free birth (which I was), plan ahead for that extra pain.  Also, babies don't agree with pitocin as much.  When the pitocin was up, my son's heart rate would go down with the contractions.  We'd turn the pit off, and the heart rate would go back up.

I had a very long labor and didn't go past 1 cm dilated.  I ended up with a c-section.

My c-section was truly awful (epidural was faulty and I felt the surgery).  I wish I would have done more studying on c-sections so I could have advocated for myself better.  But I was planning for a natural, med-free birth and completely ignored anything about c-sections.

I agree that if you are having an induction, you should learn about c-sections.  It is very likely you will end up with one.  Of course, you might have a very easy vaginal birth.  But inductions always increase the likelihood of a c-section, and it's so much better to be prepared for that.

Good luck and I hope everything goes smoothly!

Mama to Elliot (11.09.08) and Jude (09.01.11)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I was induced on my due date becuase of PUPPPS. I got two meds to try and soften my cervix (the first one during the day at four hour incriments) and the cervadil at night when the midwife was going to go home to try and sleep -- and me sleep, too! I got the cervadel around 8pm and at 4:30am my water broke on its own. My contractions started on their own shortly after and my labor progressed on its own. However, I believe because I was induced earlier than what my body wanted, I had back labor. It was horrible and after getting stuck at 6cm and contractions lasting over 5 min each with less than 30 sec between them, I got an epidural, pitocin, and after an hour and fifteen minutes of pushing, had Aubriana at 10:13pm that night!

I don't regret anything and if it had to go that way, I'd totally do it again! We wanted to go drug free, but I kept an open mind to the possibility of maybe having an epidural -- and I'm glad I did! I believe if I didn't get one when I did, the way things were going, I'd had to have gotten a c-section!

So like people are saying, just be prepared for things not to go the way you "want them to" when being induced. No matter how the baby comes, just do your best to make it safe! :-) Good luck!

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"