Hawaii Babies

GD testing this week, nervous!

It's time to get tested for GD (week 27 this week, already!).  I'm becoming more nervous about it as it approaches.  I was going to go to the lab today but after the weekend I had (SIL's wedding, lots of eating out/festivities/etc.) I think I will wait until Wednesday as I have an OB check-up after work tomorrow.  My Dr's office said to eat more protein than carbs prior to the appt. and not too much sugar, is that correct?  Any other advice or vibes is appreciated :)
I love Hawaii!

Tara & Ian . 4/24/2008 . The Kahala Planning . Married

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: GD testing this week, nervous!

• Good luck Tara...whatever happens, you and the little will be fine, promise!

As for what to do prior...all I was told was to fast from 10 p.m. until the test (mine was at 8 a.m.).  It would make sense to eat as normally as possible...you really don't want to try and "trick" the test.

• imageMarried2MrWright:

Good luck Tara...whatever happens, you and the little will be fine, promise!

As for what to do prior...all I was told was to fast from 10 p.m. until the test (mine was at 8 a.m.).  It would make sense to eat as normally as possible...you really don't want to try and "trick" the test.

Thanks for the encouragement Lori.

I was told not to fast, hmm.... Tongue Tied

I love Hawaii!

• Loading the player...
  • inamrainamra member
    I was not told to fast for the first test (but to fast for the 2nd one), but given that I didn't eat anything after dinner (8pm) and until I had my test at 9am except for the glucose drink an hour prior to the test, I ended up fasting anyway...and I ended up failing the first test =/ But I passed the 2nd one so I was happier although the 2nd one was grueling (esp since I was still nauseous). I was nervous too (so much so that I procrastinated the test until the last possible day to do it) but in hindsight, there was really no need to worry...try to eat how you would for the duration of your pg because like Lori mentioned, you don't want to "trick" the test. Good luck
    Sept 2008 Wedding | May 2010 & Mar 2012 Babies
  • imageinamra:
    I was not told to fast for the first test (but to fast for the 2nd one), but given that I didn't eat anything after dinner (8pm) and until I had my test at 9am except for the glucose drink an hour prior to the test, I ended up fasting anyway...and I ended up failing the first test =/ But I passed the 2nd one so I was happier although the 2nd one was grueling (esp since I was still nauseous). I was nervous too (so much so that I procrastinated the test until the last possible day to do it) but in hindsight, there was really no need to worry...try to eat how you would for the duration of your pg because like Lori mentioned, you don't want to "trick" the test. Good luck

Good advice :)

I did call my Dr's office and they said no fasting but yes to the second test (if need be).  She also mentioned "no donuts or sugary foods" the day of... well she said "no donuts for breakfast".  Umm, no :)  I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I love Hawaii!

• lelekaylelekay member
    I was told not to fast as well.  The only thing she said was to not eat a ton of sugar that morning (i.e. no sugary cereal or pancakes w/syrup for breakfast).  I ate my normal breakfast of fiber one cereal, but just skipped the orange juice that day.  I was sooooo nervous, too (diabetes runs in my family), but it ended up being fine.  :)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Good luck! I was told to eat normally, with the exception of not loading up on tons and tons of sugary food (not to avoid sugar altogether, but just no cake and ice cream for breakfast lol). Don't be too nervous - odds are that you'll be fine, and if you do end up with GD, it's really not *that* bad, I promise!
  • imagelelekay:
    I was told not to fast as well.  The only thing she said was to not eat a ton of sugar that morning (i.e. no sugary cereal or pancakes w/syrup for breakfast).

this was the case w/me too.  GL, don't stress (since stress causes elevations in blood sugar too) and even if fail the 1 hr you can go on to pass the 3 hr...and even if you have GD as Lori and Lisa can tell you, it's not the end of the world!

• Good luck!

I'm embarrassed to admit that when you said "no donuts for breakfast," I immediately wanted to eat a donut... :(

• Good Luck, Tara!  Whatever the results are, you'll get through it.  It's comforting to know that GD is manageable and not the end of the world.  Smile  I'm not looking forward to having this test in the next several weeks.  Tongue Tied
  • imagevanceandlori:

Good luck!

I'm embarrassed to admit that when you said "no donuts for breakfast," I immediately wanted to eat a donut... :(

You're not alone... Stick out tongue

• I know how you feel - I was all worked up about mine too!  My main concern (how silly this seems now!) was that if I tested positive, that I'd have to give up pizza! 

Just try to relax.  Honestly, there's nothing you can do.  Either your body is processing things ok, or it's not.  If it's not, there are ways to help it.  I think I was only allowed to eat protein the morning of the appt and nothing else.  I was like, um, ok, do I just grab a hunk of steak or what?  So I just didn't eat anything. 

I did read something though about afterwards - if you are fasting prior to the test, bring a juicebox and maybe a PB&J sandwich in the car for after the appt.  I know I was starving and that definitely helped!

• Just wanted to say, thanks everyone! Smile  I am going to the lab tomorrow, fingers crossed.
    I love Hawaii!

• imageMrsNJSwimmer:

Just try to relax.  Honestly, there's nothing you can do.  Either your body is processing things ok, or it's not.  If it's not, there are ways to help it.

Well said Smile

I love Hawaii!

• good luck.

I wasn't told to fast (and mine was in the afternoon so I had 2 normal meals that day).  I ate normal foods because I didn't want to trick the test (if that is really possible) because I would rather treat it from the start rather than not get properly diagnosed.

that said - after I birthed a 9lb1oz baby without an IV during labor (I guess that can cause infant weight gain during labor plus the glucose can interfere with the blood sugar tests on the baby or something??) he was subjected to a litany of invasive tests to rule out blood sugar issues just because of weight after birth. argh!  he was just fine but they didn't want to believe it, you know?

• Good luck!  I hope you pass the test.  I know that I was really nervous about mine!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"