1st Trimester

Feeling Sick 24/7-Help?!

I'm new to these boards, so I apologize if this is a post that is over done in here, but I'm looking for words of widsom. I know I should be grateful since it likely is a positive sign, but the day I hit 6 weeks I went from some previous morning nausea to feeling sick all day and night. For the last week and a half I've been fighting off the feeling I need to puke all day--it's been horrible at work because I teach and it's not like I can just put my head down or take a break--I'm on and in front of students all day long. This long weekend has been a relief in that sense, but I still feel miserable, now it's just in the comfort of my own home. My poor husband, I didn't want to do anything this weekend. I didn't want to be touched, I just wanted to sit and try not to be sick. I know for most people this ends at the end of the first trimester, but I know for others it lasts throughout the pregnancy. I can't imagine feeling this way for 9 months. Does anyone have any insights or tips? I've tried sea-bands, and lemon in my water--I guess they help, but nothing has changed. I'm feeling really depressed about all this rather than excited for this next step in our lives.

Re: Feeling Sick 24/7-Help?!

• I'm just nauseous all day long as well. I bring water with me everywhere, and I usually have crackers. It kind of ruins some days though. Like today, I was shopping at Michaels, which I love but I had to leave because I just felt too nauseous.

Hopefully, it will get better soon.

• I'm in the same boat with you!  I am thinking about calling my doctor and asking about the Zofran too. I really didn't want to have to take it, but man I just cannot function.  I work with kids too, so I know what you mean about not being able to rest or relax at work!  It stinks so bad!  I am so dreading going back tomorrow, but at least I only have two more weeks!

With my ds, it definitely was bad week 7 if I remember correctly. I didn't really start feeling better until about week 10/11...I felt "normal" by week 13, so there is light at the end of the tunnel..

• Loading the player...
  • Zofran did wonders for me during both pregnancies.
    photo 203b9128-895f-464c-a378-ff73eaf8c1ce_zps4de57ab1.jpg
    Xander, Hayden & Lily 5 1/2 and Jericho 3 My Blog!
  • I had severe MS with baby number 1 until week 32 and have all day sickness with this baby as well. I cannot function without Zofran and constant snacks. I am not big on taking medication, but I don't have a choice when I have a toddler to take care of. 

I hope you feel better soon!  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • First of all, don't stress out about it lasting 9 months, because it usually doesn't.  It should be pretty much gone by the end of 1st trimester.  Second, I know how you feel!  With baby #1, my morning sickness was just in the morning.  I'd wake up, get sick, and then be fine the rest of the day.  With this pregnancy, starting at week 6, I am nauseous around the clock.  That first week, especially, I couldn't keep ANYTHING down.  I was eating pretty much only toast and ginger snaps and I still threw up several times a day.  Since that week, though, I haven't actually thrown up often, but I fight the feeling.  The only things that have worked for me are:

-don't let yourself get too hungry.  If you start to feel hungry eat at least a little bit.

-ginger snaps and ginger ale seem to help a little.  They don't get rid of nausea but when I feel like I'm gonna puke, they can take the edge off.

-I think getting rest makes it better.  When I take nap or even just lay down and watch TV or read, I feel better.  When I'm up walking around and moving, I get sick.

If  nothing helps, there are some medications and things.  My OB coordinator recommended something called B Natal.  I think they're lozenges or lollipops or something.  She said any pharmacy either carries them or can order them. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks everyone! I really appreciate everyone's advice--even if it was only to say you're in the same boat--it at least makes me feel more normal. ;) I have my first U/S on Thursday. I will ask my OB about Zofran--even if it's just to get me through these final weeks of school--and in the meantime, I'll try some of the other tips.
  • Sorry, I'm late to this post.  I'm in the same boat too.  I was fine from weeks 1 through 5, and then when 6 hit, I started feeling sick all day long.  Luckily I haven't puked yet at all, but sometimes I wish I could!  I'm really nauseous first thing in the morning until about 10 am and then I get nauseous in the late afternoon and through the evening until around 9.  I feel so bad for my hubby because the sight and smell of food makes it so much worse.  We couldn't even go out to dinner on our anniversary, because I can't stomach the thought of food.  It's definitely been a challenge.  I try to keep dry cereal, crackers, gold fish, rice cakes, water and ginger ale next to me all day at work; but finding something to eat at lunch is a challenge.  My office cafeteria just wants to make me hurl!!  And riding the train and bus home at night has been tough too.

You are definitely not alone in feeling sick 24/7!!  I just wish I had the summer off to look forward to.  You lucky duck!! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"