Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

WWYD RE: feeling like the 3rd wheel?

I feel so pathetic even writing this lol, but i have recently become friends with two other mom's from  my dd's preschool. We all became "friends" at the same time so it's notlike the other two ladies have known each other longer or anything, anyways these two have alot in common and they even look almost identical. They've never necessarily done anything to make me feel like the 3rd wheel but just given the fact that they have so much in common i always feel out of place when we all hang out (which by the way is ALL THE TIME b/c they are constantly planning playdates/dinners/get togethers etc). Anyways now i've noticed on facebook that they have started to do things together by themselves without inviting me, we're all supposed to enroll our girls in the same dance class this fall and all that so i'm wondering should i just start backing out of the friendship and maybe even find a different dance class for my daughter this fall  or am i being a baby and making stuff up in my head and just continue with this friendship? anyone ever felt like the 3rd wheel?

thanks for even reading this far :)

Re: WWYD RE: feeling like the 3rd wheel?

• Options

Its hard to feel like that and see other people doing stuff without you, but if your DD's are all friends, I probably wouldn't back out of the friendship all together.  I think that might be a little bit of an overreaction.

Also, just a thought - you mention that THEY are constantly planning playdates, etc.  Do you ever plan things?  Do you think they could be getting the feeling that you don't want to do as much since they are being more enthusiastic about the planning piece?

Either way, I would keep doing stuff with them for my dd and then add in events with other friends as well.

Don't worry so much about it Smile

• Options
    imagej&jp:

Its hard to feel like that and see other people doing stuff without you, but if your DD's are all friends, I probably wouldn't back out of the friendship all together.  I think that might be a little bit of an overreaction.

Also, just a thought - you mention that THEY are constantly planning playdates, etc.  Do you ever plan things?  Do you think they could be getting the feeling that you don't want to do as much since they are being more enthusiastic about the planning piece?

Either way, I would keep doing stuff with them for my dd and then add in events with other friends as well.

Don't worry so much about it Smile

This. 

Photobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    wow you know to be honest i  never thought of it like that and you're right. I don't ever plan anything, i think i've been so self-consicous (sp?) about being the third wheel that maybe i'm sorta making myself become the third wheel!! i will def. have to try initiating a playdate or something! and yeah our daughter's are really good friends so i think it would be better to suck it up for my daughter's sake. Thanks!
  • Options

You're not being a baby- this kind of stuff happens to us our whole lives and we just associate that feeling with childhood b/c that's where we first felt it. It's normal to feel left out. 

As far as changing things- like dance class, No. I would not change. Just realize that those two have more in common and might want to do things without you. It sucks. It hurts. But i wouldn't back out of the frienship. Keep trying. Keep planning things with them.  Maybe you can plan something with just one of the girls and you can talk about it one on one.  Or mention it to the two of them when you get together next.  It might be just that you seem busy and they don't want to bother you. Or they're doing things they think you might not like. But i wouldn't start semi-avoiding just because they appear to prefer each other's company to yours.  Keep trying, hon :)  And if you really need to, you can find more friends. But don't give up the ones you have just yet!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

to DEBBIE33CASEY, thank you so much for your sweet response! i thought for sure everyone would just tell me to grow up and get a life lol, i really appreciate your very nice advice. I will definitley continue making plans with them. Thanks again!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"