Eco-Friendly Family

IMPORTANT BF HELP NEEDED

Someone help me?  I've been bfing all day- seriously feel like it's been a round the clock thing since the overnight last night. He's constantly looking for breasts it seems. I offer, he sucks for a few minutes than goes to sleep. I've tried the undressing, changing diapers, skin to skin, blah blah blah.

My breasts are hard and uncomfortable, leading me to believe my milk must be in, right??  So I've been trying to get him to nurse, but I think he's just using me as a pacifier, instead.  I gave in and set up my pump, tried to pump--- nothing. Then I start thinking, maybe my milk isn't in and I'm just an idiot. I went and laid down with ds1 for bed and my chest HURT to lay in bed with him.

I come out and dh is saying he's fussy, maybe we should supplement, maybe he's not getting enough, blah blah blah. I don't want to screw things up with my bfing. I actually thought things were going well, until now.

What's wrong with me? What do I do now?  Someone give advice?!!!

Sincerely,
Desparate to BF

Lovin' Life: M+D 7/06, T 1/08, B 5/10
Getting back to it- my diet and exercise blog
Losing it...Without Losing it

Re: IMPORTANT BF HELP NEEDED

• luvlieKluvlieK member

I would always feed C in just a diaper and stroke his cheek if he got sleepy. 

*hugs* I hope it gets easier soon. 

47 months &
    11 months
  • PoonicoPoonico member

I wouldn't supplement.  At about that age my breasts were so swollen, omgosh OUCH.  Baby nursed, but nothing seemed to do the trick.  Keep nursing, it will go away and then you'll be rocking and rolling!

Check out The Eco-Friendly Family, a
    Green Living Blog
    for eco-information and fun giveaways!

• Loading the player...
  • It sounds like you're engorged.  If you can't get the pump to work, take a hot shower first then try it again.  Pump just enough to help them soften a little.  Then try to get baby to nurse again.  This is what I did, and I found that baby could get a better latch if they weren't so darn hard.

DS was a constant sucker, and I let him have the paci in between feedings from a very early age.  I would try to avoid it though if you're having trouble with his latch.  I'm not sure that they're really recommended when you're trying to establish BFing.

I would try to avoid supplementing at all costs.  Just keep offering the breast.  It will get easier.  Hang in there!!! (((hugs)))

Big E (6) & Little E (2.5)
  • Hang in there! It was honestly weeks before my breasts weren't hard, even after a feeding they barely softened. Little bitty babies just don't eat much at one sitting. They eat soooo often though! It will all get better...not to worry!

Can you hand express a little milk at the beginning of a feeding just to get things going for the little one? Having some right on the nipple is encouraging to them...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ditto to previous posters - sounds like your milk is in, now you just need to get it flowing into LO.

I'd take a hot shower and do some breast massage while in there, then see if you can hand express a little or try pumping then while doing breast massage (or make DH do it, that's what I did initially). 

Then if you can soften them up a little or at least get a little flow then latch LO on - he might need some squeezed into his mouth to help him figure out what he's supposed to be doing. Again, you may need to do some massage/compression while he's getting the hang of it - get DH to help if you need to. We joked that C liked 5 star service those first couple weeks - she practically wanted it dripped/squeezed into her mouth. 

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
  • njh514njh514 member
    Everyone has already said everything that I was going to say, but I agree. Don't supplement. Keep going. Keep trying. You're both learning. This is the hard part. It gets easier after this. Don't give up. You're doing great! I promise!!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I agree definitely keep doing what you're doing. It sounds like you are doing everything right.

Keeping them awake is REALLY hard, or it was for me. My little man was very jaundiced and I didnt know it. It was SO SO SO frustrating trying to feed him in those first three weeks because he just didnt want to wake up and eat. Some things I did that woke him up, strip him down, change his diaper, wet washcloth to stroke him with when he fell asleep at the boob, cold water bottle when he was especially sleepy (yeah I am that mean, but he HAD to eat to get rid of the jaundice), tickle his feet, burp him. 

If he is extremely sleepy then just keep an eye out for jaundice. I dont want to scare you and he is probably fine. But mine was very jaundiced and we didnt know it. So I wish someone had told me to look for it, it may have changed a lot of things. 

Also if you dont want to shower you can get a few towels wet and warn them up. Then set them over your breasts before a feeding to soften them a bit. You can do this before pumping along w/ massaging them.

Good luck mama!

ETA: Oh and something that has helped me beyond measure is a group at the hospital I delivered at. The group is led by two lactation consultants and you can go for free each week and ask questions. They will also sit with you for however long it takes and help you with latch problems and other issues. DS's latch was horrendous at first but after working with me for like 4 days straight it improved significantly. 

My advice is to check at the hospitals local to you and see what they offer. I know that two of the three local hospitals around me offer this type of service free of charge. But even if this isnt available see if you can find a lactation consultant local to you. If not for the help of the lactation consultants I would probably have given up in the first three weeks. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagensees:

It sounds like you're engorged.  If you can't get the pump to work, take a hot shower first then try it again.  Pump just enough to help them soften a little.  Then try to get baby to nurse again.  This is what I did, and I found that baby could get a better latch if they weren't so darn hard.

Ditto this!

As far as keeping him awake - have you tried wiping him with a wet washcloth?  That always seemed to help S.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I have nothing to add since everyone has already given the advice I would so I just want to say good luck!  Those early weeks are so hard, but just keep going and it truly will get better.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • i have no help to offer, just wanted to commiserate - i have the hardest time keeping dd awake during a feeding.  especially at night.  she haaaaates being naked though and i'm scared about getting her cold so haven't been stripping her, just trying to jiggle or bounce or tickle her cheek/chin to remind her that we're feeding.  works better during the day than at night.

good luck and hang in there!  this really is freakin HARD!  

my cool cat - er, bunny!

Photobucket Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    my bfp chart!
    our hippy baby blog

• I don't have any other tips and tricks, but in regards to what your dh was saying about not having enough milk/supplementing - just wanted to remind you and/or him about how wonderful mother nature is.  Your body is making just what your baby needs.  It's so hard as a parent of a newborn (or of a 7 month old... or of a 12 year old for that matter, though obviously when they talk it gets somewhat easier).  The point being, there are always doubts about "are we doing it right" or "what if we did this or that."  Just trust your instincts and persevere.  Hang in there!  You'll get through it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"