Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

NBR: Kidney Infections...

When is a kidney infection serious enough to go to Urgentcare? My sister is at a wedding in another state and she just called me freaked out because she has all the symptoms of a kidney infection, including blood in her pee. She was diagnosed with a UTI a few weeks ago but she doesn't think it cleared up.

Maybe I'm jumpy because I'm overprotective, but I think that sounds serious. If you have experience with this, tell me about it. WWYD for a kidney infection? When is it time to go to an Urgentcare or call the doctor? Thanks! 

Re: NBR: Kidney Infections...

• Options
    Liss_37Liss_37 member

I've had blood in my urine before when i had a UTI that got pretty bad. it wasn't as serious as I thought it would be though, and some strong antibiotics cleared me right up

I don't think it really requires urgent care unless we're talking a lot of blood, but she should call her doctor as soon as the office opens

Me: 37
    DH: 36
    Married: 08-25-07
    DS: 11-20-09

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Name change alert: Formerly Lisswastaken

• Options
    Thanks for the input. I told her I would go in if I were here because I'd rather be safe than sorry, but I don't really know anything about what to do in this situation. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Liss_37Liss_37 member

yeah, i forgot you mentioned that she's out of state at a wedding. if i were in that situation i'd probably go to urgent care just to get the meds. obivously the longer she goes without medical attention the worse it will get

i hope she feels better soon, UTI's are a real pain in the butt

Me: 37
    DH: 36
    Married: 08-25-07
    DS: 11-20-09

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Name change alert: Formerly Lisswastaken

• Options
    I've had a ton of UTIs, but I think I've only had one kidney infection or so in my whole life. I don't even remember it that well! Having a UTI bites, so I can't imagine the pain of a kidney infection. She says that her lower back is killing her and she has had a headache for several days. I think the blood is a recent development. It just figures this kind of thing would happen when she's out of state! :P Thanks for the help! 
  • Options

i have IC (interstitial cystitis)..it's basically UTI exact symtoms but when u go to the doctors they DO NOT find bateria in your urine (which they do when you have a UTI) also, when you get a UTI they give you an antibiotic, which does not work when you have IC. I've never had IC, & I got it after Evan was born..

FYI: UTI's go away with antiboitics.. if your sis took anitbiotics & her pain did not clear up  it could likely be IC ..

• Options

First time I had a kidney infection, I didn't know what it was. I didn't get issues with urinating though, I just thought I'd pulled my back - it was like bad muscle pain or cramps. It kept getting worse, then I started getting other symptoms (felt like I had to go all the time but couldn't, etc.). By the time I went to the doc, it had developed into blood poisoning and that triggered other complications (all my muscles were spasming all the time, I could hardly move, I had the worst migraine, etc.). It was the worst pain I've experienced (aside from birth) and it took a long time to get over.

So I'd go to urgent care, get antibiotics and then not have to worry about it anymore! Hope she listens to you & gets better soon.

• Options
    Thank you all SO MUCH for sharing this with me. She doesn't want to "ruin the wedding" so she doesn't want to go, but I really believe she needs to. I'll let her know what the consensus is. :)
  • Options

imageAugustAnn:
    Thank you all SO MUCH for sharing this with me. She doesn't want to "ruin the wedding" so she doesn't want to go, but I really believe she needs to. I'll let her know what the consensus is. :)

well its better to be safe then sorry. U dont want it to get worse Tongue Tied hopefully she gets better without any meds or doctors involved.

• Options

I got my first UTI in college and stupidly thought it would clear up on it's own.  I waited it out for 3-4 days and then doubled over in pain.  I went to urgent care and found out I was on the brink of a Kidney infection.  I would personally tell her to get to a Dr.  I had to be on Cipro (antibiotic) for 2 weeks after that.

The antibiotic made me feel better within a day or two, but you must keep taking the meds for 2 weeks which sucked because you can't have anything with calcium (no dairy or Tums)

• Options

I think the sooner you talk to a doctor the better. She may be at the point right now where a simple prescription call-in would be all she would need.

I had a kidney infection last year where the initial symptoms were fever/chills and back pain. I thought the back pain was from my work/pregnancy and dismissed it. It went away. The fever/chills stayed and again I dismissed them as a bad flu because they were the only symptom. I went so long dismissing this stuff that I was hospitalized for 3 days for not only the kidney infection, but dehydration and exhaustion.

Now any time I have so much as a sniffle, DH is warning me that he won't let it go too far again. LOL.

But yeah. I would say talk to a Dr. while the symptoms are still manageable, because being hospitalized would ruin a wedding much worse. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"