Working Moms

What if I quit? Do I still get CA SDI & PFL?

I was recently recruited for a pretty great job that will begin several weeks after my daughter is born.

I am only a few weeks from maternity leave and need to submit my SDI paperwork now - but I'm not so sure I want to quit my present position in the middle of receiving state benefits. I would much rather give notice to my company and, instead of simply going on leave with their expectation of my return, give them notice.

Will I miss out on state short term disability benefits if I quit my job and am unemployed for the three months before starting my new job?

(similarly, if I quit, my husband has to quit, can he take 6 weeks of PFL if he is unemployed for those 1.5 - 3 months, too?)

Re: What if I quit? Do I still get CA SDI & PFL?

• I'm pretty sure if you quit you get nothing, both of you. That's how it works in NJ.  We have a whole Eligibility FAQ section on our state's website.

You should definitely give notice now if you don't plan on returning to your current job. Aside from it being the right thing to do, you can be forced to pay back any benefits you've collected if you quit in the middle of your leave. Yeah, you won't be able to collect benefits, but its not fair to your current employer to hold the job either.  It will follow you in your career.  Think about having your references checked in the future, "Yeah, she left in the middle of her leave".  Not cool.

Curious, why would your DH have to quit too?

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• We're storage property managers that has a retail store. Unfortunately, the prerequisite for the job is 1) mandatory living on-site, 2) BOTH members of the couple work for the company and no one else, & 3) BOTH members work full-time.

Kind of a difficult situation to move out of, unfortunately. I can't quit without automatically terminating his position and vice versa. We saw this coming so when I got the job proposition (which is working from home) he applied for a masters program and got in!

Still a happy ending, but boy, it sounds like its gonna be an expensive transition! 

• Loading the player...
  • just wanted to say.. wow I've never found anyone else with the same job as me! (although my hub is in corrections and does not work here but we do live on site) lol Hope your transition is smooth :)

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • herohero member

Call SDI. Their hours are limited but I have been able to speak to real person several times that was able to answer my question.

<Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers>
  • SDI maybe. PFL, I'm pretty sure not - your paid family leave depends on your current salary & the state does verify employment when determining your benefits.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"