Northern California Babies
Options

Cloth Diapering questions..lots of them.

I have NO clue where to start. Let me say that one of the only reason's we are considering it is because the cost of diapers for TWO seems a bit insane. So we are thinking (mainly me trying to get DH on board) that we would cloth diapers at home and most days to save money. We would use disposables when we are out and about. I know though most days they will be home.

I am trying to figure out how many I would need, they seem pretty expensive. I am keeping and eye out on CL and Ebay. I read you need 24-36 diapers to start with? For two that is A LOT of diapers. I am mainly interested in the AIO's.

So if you could tell me :

How many did you have to start first 3 months? 

After three months? 

How often do you wash them? 

Where did you purchase them from?

Are you glad you did it?

Re: Cloth Diapering questions..lots of them.

• Options
    imageI<3MYHUSBAND:

I can't help you with the AIOs, since we use prefolds/thirsties wrap covers, but I'll write down what our experience is :)

So if you could tell me :

How many did you have to start first 3 months?   24 pre-folds and 3 covers.  We accidentally ruined a cover already (and by "we" I mean DH..haha).  I feel like we need 2 more.  We hand-wash the covers by the end of each day so they air-dry overnight and are ready to go.

After three months? n/a

How often do you wash them? We have a load ready every other day.  I would estimate that we could get away with 18 pre-folds and still do the wash every other day.

Where did you purchase them from? Nikki's Diapers (online)

Are you glad you did it? SO GLAD.  We're doing like you: cloth for at home, disposables for out and about.  Cost-wise it's paid for itself already, and it's really not much more labor-intensive than disposables.  Also, DS seems to have far fewer blow-outs with the thirsties wrap than he does when he happens to be in a disposable.  

• Options
    Oh, and I think it's crazy how hard cloth diapers are.  There are so many choices, which is nice...but at the same time it makes it so hard to figure out what you need!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

This blog has tons of great info and may answer all your questions.

https://www.theecofriendlyfamily.com/

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
  • Options
    We use prefolds (a service) and covers.  6 covers has been pretty good.  We do laundry every 2-3 days.  With AIO's you'll need more I think because they have to be washed after each use.  Our covers (1st pro-wraps, now super whisper) only need to be washed when they get poop on them.  We don't use any disposables.  I use cloth when out and about just like home I just put the dirty in a wet bag (I took 18 prefolds and 4 covers on vacation and ended up washing every day but that was really just because I didn't have a big enough wet bag for all of them and didn't want poopy ones sitting around).
  • Options

How many did you have to start first 3 months? We started once Lilly was 4 months (I wish we would have started sooner but I was totally hesitant).

After three months? At 4 months Lilly was going through 8-10 diapers a day...at 7 months old she goes through 6-9 diapers a day.  We have 29 diapers (24 bumgenius 3.0 pocket diapers and 5 fuzzibunz one size)

How often do you wash them?  Every other day.

Where did you purchase them from? Abbyslane.com  (LOVE this site!  Free shipping on all US orders AND no tax which is HUGE when you are just starting your stash and buying a bunch at a time.... and you can usually find a coupon code)

Are you glad you did it? SO SO glad...it is not hard at all and they are super cute!  DH doesn't mind it at all and is totally on board....Oh and since using cloth we have had zero blowouts and with disposables we had quite a few. 

Lilly is in cloth full time...even out and about and it isn't hard...we just bring a little wet bag and put the messy diaper in there...you can't smell anything and when we get home, we add it to our large wet bag and wash on wash day.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

So excited for you!!!!

How many did you have to start first 3 months? I just started at 16 months!!!

After three months? See above.

How often do you wash them?  For a singleton I wash every other day and that is because I am paranoid about running out. 

Where did you purchase them from? I am using Baby Kawaii, which are similar to Bum Genius and half the price.  They are working excelent for our use. 

Are you glad you did it? Yes!

Also, for outings we are using flushable, biodegradable inserts.  They look similar to dryer sheets.  I have been happy with those, however, have yet to try other styles.

I recommend you visit diaperswappers.  They have a thread for parents of mulitples, of which I am sure you would get a lot of advice from.  Two more great resources, All About Cloth Diapers and The Cloth Diaper Whisperer.

I will fwd you anthing I come across for multiples and my favorite CD sites.

• Options

How many did you have to start first 3 months? We have had the same amount since week 7 (24 BumGenuis 3.0 OneSize)

After three months? 

How often do you wash them?  I wash them every other day to every two days.

Where did you purchase them from? I bought them from Banana Peels Diapers

Are you glad you did it? I'm so glad we did it! I love the cloth diapers and feel like they have been a great investment for our LO

GL!!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

How many did you have to start first 3 months? 

We are using prefolds w/ thirsties covers. i have 24 prefolds and 6 covers. 

After three months? 

dont know yet

How often do you wash them? 

every other day  or every 2 days. she isnt much of a pooper, so 1 cover lasts a long time.

Where did you purchase them from?

prefolds: nurture center.

covers:  online, i dont remember which site but you can find them on most diaper sites

Are you glad you did it?

totally!

And if you decide to do prefolds, you can have our newborn  sized prefolds. i'll show you how easy they are next time i see you.

Greyson Ray ~ July 31 2006 | WinterRose Elizabeth ~ April 28th 2010 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    The Blog | BirthbyKellyM
  • Options
    imageKellyMRocks:

And if you decide to do prefolds, you can have our newborn  sized prefolds. i'll show you how easy they are next time i see you.

That would be so awesome! I think we will go prefold route (I did not know what the difference was) because the cost is so much cheaper that way. AIO seem like a great option for going out and about but at this point I am not sure we will be doing that.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"