Natural Birth

Waterbirth and Enema

Is ayone doing a waterbirth and told they have the option of an enema...or just going to give themselves one before heading to the birth center/hospital? 

Re: Waterbirth and Enema

• Just assuming, but if that's what you have been told by your birth center/hospital I'm assuming it's because they don't want to be skimming out any feces that may occur.  If you have the choice I'd recommend doing it yourself as it would likely be more gentle than they will do.
  • well they recommend we bring a fish net to scoop poop...but I think I might just get a fleet enema and do it at home before we leave if at all. 
  • Loading the player...
  • My hospital gives an enema if you have a water birth. It was really NO big deal. And they gave me the option of doing it myself, or them doing it, I let the nurse do it & it was fine.

I'll do it the same way this time.

• Im not going to do an enema, my midwife never even suggested it, she just brought a little fish net over for if we need it.
  • We were told at our third trimester class at the midwifery center that if we plan on getting in the tub to administer a Fleet enema before coming in.  They said that if we have a bowel movement in the tub, we have to get out.

I need to ask at my next apt at what point I'm supposed to administer it.

Bunny 05.2008//mc 9.2009//Bubba 07.2010//mc 10.2011//
    Bloggin' It
  • I had a waterbirth at home and didn't have an enema. My midwife never mentioned it. I don't believe I poo'ed in the tub. If so, my midwife took care of it before I even noticed.
  • Here's what I've heard: 

Water birth in hospital - they need to give you the enema because they re-use those tubs all of the time.  Even though they obviously disinfect prior to each use, they want to avoid any chance of contamination (especially in those jets).   

Water birth at home - the tubs are used much less so the risk of infection is minimal.  They don't need to be as picky about your poop floating around!  Plus, there aren't those jets for yuckiness to get caught in!

• I think having to have an enema before being allowed to do waterbirth goes against the whole premise of low-/no-intervention birth, frankly - pooping is the way the body preps before the baby comes out.

And having an enema at any time - much less during labor - is the absolute last thing I would ever ever want to do. I say bring on the fish nets!

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• I had three water births and never had an enema. Your body naturally gets rid of that stuff on it's own before labor.
    Mom to six awesome kids - Levi is 12, Landen is 8, Gabrielle is 6, Lucas is 3, and Oliver and Samuel are 2 years old. Love my crew. Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagenosoup4u:

I think having to have an enema before being allowed to do waterbirth goes against the whole premise of low-/no-intervention birth, frankly - pooping is the way the body preps before the baby comes out.

And having an enema at any time - much less during labor - is the absolute last thing I would ever ever want to do. I say bring on the fish nets!

I agree with this. As for the sanitary issue, what about a child who passes their meconium in the water? Or the blood? It should all be cleaned and sanitized completely. The idea of an enema for a natural birth is bizarre. 

• This is funny b/c my mom still raves about how good it felt to get her enemas before having myself and my brother.

I, on the other hand, generally don't like things going into my butt, so I will just let nature take its course on this one! 

• imageMelBolt:
    I had a waterbirth at home and didn't have an enema. My midwife never mentioned it. I don't believe I poo'ed in the tub. If so, my midwife took care of it before I even noticed.

Ditto but sub out birth center for home birth.  I can't imagine getting an enema while in labor. 

• This never came up while I was signing the waterbirth papers.... I didn't end up being able to have a WB but an enema was not part of the plan.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"