Success after IF
Options

For those who have had their babies,

Do you use birth control?  After struggling with IF for so many years, I can't imagine using birth control.  However, you hear of so many people who suffered with IF, and then had a suprise pregnancy after the 1st delivery. 

What do you use, if anything?

Clomid x 2 cycles ..... BFN. 6/08 Gonal F with TI- BFN. 7/08 Gonal F #2 - IUI 7/11, BFN. 9/22/08 IUI #2 and Accupuncture - Chemical Pregnancy. 11/08 IUI #3 with accupuncture - BFN. 12/08 IUI #4 BFN. 5/09 IVF #1 ER 7/6/09, ET 7/9/09 - BFN. FET 12/18/09 - BFN IVF #2 -ER 3/6, ET 3/9, OMG - BFP!!! Beta #1 3/22 -332, Beta #2 3/24 - 701, Beta #3 - 14,889 - 1st u/s - TWINS!! SAIF ALWAYS WELCOME!!! ***Why can't 88 million sperm and 3 eggs find each other in an organ the size of a pear??*** Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins--not through strength but by perseverance. - H. Jackson Brown

Re: For those who have had their babies,

• Options
    epphdepphd member
     Not using anything.  I would be deliriously happy with a surprise pg, but probably would faint from shock!

I am a runner, knitter, scientist, DE-IVF veteran, and stage III colon cancer survivor.
  • Options
    Over 2 years since my daughter was born, and we havent used birth control since
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We used condoms until we decided we could handle having another baby.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    we never did. Ours odds are so small, it doesnt make sense. We would have been thrilled with a surprise, though
    2vc9jsg.jpg

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    dana316dana316 member

We've been using condoms, but we are getting closer and closer to TTC #2, so we'll be stopping that in the next few months.

I will never go back on hormonal birth control...ever...

• Options
    Didn't use anything. We actively tried with OPKs until we just decided to go back to the RE. We wanted more kids since we were in the OR having Paige : )
    DX: PCOS * Success with IVF

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I did use bc after DD, and am also one of the surprise pregnancies you reference.  Best laid plans and all :)
  • Options
    I did not go back on anything after DD was born, even though my ob urged me to consider it.  I honestly just never thought we would get pregnant without IVF, after all, we never did for the 4 years leading up to our IVF, especially since my hubby has severe MFI.   Well, I am pregnant with #2, a total surprise, we weren't even trying.  Although we were always hopeful we would have more kids someday :)
  • Options
    We use condoms. I am not quite ready to get pg again but if BC fails us and we magicly get pg I would be thrilled and so would DH.
  • Options
    We didn't use any form of bc and I did get a surprise BFP.  When we're done having kids I don't know what we'll use...I think DH will get a vasectomy.  I don't want to go on BCP (of any form) and I hate everything about condoms.

Clomid M/C 8 weeks 2/08 *IVF #1-DD born 3/09
    *Surprise BFP-T18 baby lost at 13w 1/10 *FET #1-DS born 2/11
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    qtpa2tqtpa2t member

imageepphd:
     Not using anything.  I would be deliriously happy with a surprise pg, but probably would faint from shock!

epphd couldn't have said it better. 

• Options
    We did not because our chances of getting pg were <5%. I wanted a second and we were planning on doing IVF for #2 this summer. We figured if we got pg it would be like winning the lottery for us. If you do not want to get pg then I definitely would use BC because we are an example of what can happen!
  • Options
    Even before the twins were born we knew we weren't going to have any more kids (I'm AMA), so we did our research and decided to go with Paraguard (sp.).  It's a non-hormonal IUD.  I've had enough hormones in my body from the pill, to clomid to gonal f, to pregnancy to bf and now I finally feel like I'm getting back to myself, so we decided to go with a non-hormonal bc. 
  • Options
    imageepphd:
    haven't had my baby, but I know what we're going to do already and the answer is this. Nothing would make me happier than a surprise BFP and to not have to do more IVF to get #2.
    Dx: MFI, DOR, 9 Fibroids and homozygous MTHFR

"Smudge's Story - How to Grow a Dandelion" will return soon!
    The Dandelion Archive
    "If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn."

We're Finally Three Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Nothing.

And we've had 3 unmedicated BFP's since then.  We were told we had about a 10% chance with IVF and less than 4-5% without IVF of EVER conceiving again.

I think you're wise to plan on using something if you're 100% sure you wouldn't welcome a surprise. 

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • Options
    I used mirena. The chances of me getting pregnant were slim, but I didn't want to take that chance. Pregnancy was hard on me and I had dd 6 weeks early. I also had ppd/anxiety. I'm pretty sure a surprise pregnancy would have sent me over the edge at that point! When we are done having kids, I will probably go with the mirena again.
  • Options
    imagedana316:

We've been using condoms, but we are getting closer and closer to TTC #2, so we'll be stopping that in the next few months.

I will never go back on hormonal birth control...ever...

This. I will not be using hormonal bc ever. We use condoms too. There's very little chance we could get pregnant, but since we're not quite ready for #2, we're using it just in case. 

After 20 months, 3 Clomid cycles and 4 IUI cycles, IVF #1 with ICSI = BFP!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    We haven't started using anything yet, but plan to use the sponge for at least a few months (once we actually start having sex again).  We are unexplained, so there is a possibility of a surprise pregnancy, but I'd be pretty shocked.  Of course, when I told the doctor I didn't want any birth control she told me she's seen several people come back pregnant after IVF because they didn't think they could get pregnant.  I figure we'd welcome the surprise once our son is around 6 months old, so we'll probably use the sponge until then.  I think we are going to actually ttc once he is around a year old and head back to the RE when he's around 18 months.
    It took 3 1/2 long years, but we finally got our little miracle!
    IVF #1 - BFP (6dt)
    Unassisted Pregnancy #2 - lost at 15w6d due to T21, severe heart defects, and fetal hydrops

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    Not using BC: If we were to miraculously get pregnant I wouldn't be looking a gift horse in the mouth. We had to use a sperm donor to have DD.
    Wife. MoM {1G + BBG triplets}. DIY'er. Quilter. 

• Options

Nada. 

Though sheer exhaustion is a decent birth control method.

With that said, I would love a freebie.

• Options

We didn't use anything after Maya was born. I did have a wonderful surprise pregnancy and have another beautiful baby girl, Bella, to show for it!!

With that said, I started talking about birth control at my very first OB appointment with Bella. I ended up getting a Mirena IUD. It's working great, but so is all the lack of exposure ;)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

we didn't use anything.  When you combine the odds of us conceiving with our own with the fact that I BF'd and didn't get AF until 11 mo PP, we weren't counting on a miracle, though it would've been welcome.  

If I didn't want another one I would've absolutely used BC.  Murphy's Law.

• Options
    I'm on the mini pill.  Our odds of getting pregnant on our own are really slim, but I don't want any suprises right now. 
  • Options
    We didn't use anything and I ended up pg when DD was around 4.5 months.  Using IUD after this pregnancy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"