Indiana Babies

Ashlyn Elizabeth Birth Story/Update **LONG**

Hi girls - Better late than never, right?!  Well, the induction went picture perfect on Friday!  After breaking my water at 8:50, I immediately went into a great contraction pattern, contracting every 2 minutes (and very strong contractions at that!).  I ended up getting the epi not too much later.  At that point, I was 5cm and 80% effaced.  After the epi, I was started on the lowest dose of pit.  Thank goodness I got the epi because my contractions were topping out on the monitor.  Little princess tolerated everything quite well.  My pit was upped only 2 or 3 times.  At about 12:45, I was 8 cm and had just a lip left to thin out.  At this point, I was feeling quite a bit of pressure with each contraction.  Not enough to hurt, but enough to know I was really close to being ready to push.  At 1:30, it was time, but my OB was on her way over, so we did a quick practice push and she was close to crowning.  Three pushes later, I had a baby girl.  Ashlyn is almost 1.5 lbs bigger than Haley and over an inch longer.  Her shoulders did get caught, but the nurse was able to help me push them out ok.

I felt like she was going to be bigger and she definitely is!  She was 8 lbs 5 oz and 21.25 inches long.  She has blond hair!!!!  Totally wasn't expecting that! :)

Recovery has been a little rough.  The contractions when I nurse are sometimes excruciating.  Worse than labor I think (but I never went through it without pain meds). :)  Seriously though, they're really painful and everyone that came in would tell me that the 2nd is worse than the first and so on.  So - watch out.  Not fun.  I'm healing up great though!  Very minor first degree tear with I think 3 or 5 stitches.  Swelling has gone down A LOT and I'm much more comfortable today. 

Breastfeeding is completely different this time.  She latched on immediately and has been doing really well.  We sometimes have a bit of a latch issue and she pinches more, but I can't complain.  My milk started coming in today though, so I'm more full and sore tonight than I have been.  I'm sure I'll have lots of questions about this since I never got this far with Haley.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed though that I can keep it up!

Life with 2 is HARD.  We came home this afternoon and Haley has had a rough time.  The jealousy issues are not fun and I feel so bad for her.  I want to be there as much as I was before, but it's hard to explain to her that I need to feed the baby when all she thinks is that I'm choosing Ashlyn over her.  I've been in tears more than once over it today (although I'm sure that's partially the hormones). :)

All in all, we're doing well.  I hope our first night at home goes alright.  Wish us luck.  I'll try to check in when I can! :)

Re: Ashlyn Elizabeth Birth Story/Update **LONG**

• Congrats!! love the name!
  • Congratulations!

• Loading the player...
  • Congrats! :)

Sara

Proud Mommy to Elliott 7.24.07 & Oliver 9.1.09 Our Blog Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • amstepamstep member

Congrats!  So happy it went so well!  Best of luck with the BF and with figuring out how to manage Haley's feelings.  I'm sure you will figure it out.  She will, too!  Then you can give me advice once mine gets here!!!  I'm scared of the same thing.

Her name is awesome.  Love it!

• Congrats mama!  Best of luck figuring out life with two little ones!
  • IU_babyIU_baby member
    Congratulations on your new baby girl!  Can't wait to see pics :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Congrats! Love her name!!

I have a recommendation that worked pretty well with DS - make up a nursing basket and fill it with things for her to do while you feed the baby. Books to read, coloring supplies, small quiet toys (hotwheels. Things she only gets to play with while you nurse.  I also ended up adding small snacks like granola bars (for both of us!) since that was also my supply basket.   When Kaylee has PT he does stickers. I just bought a cheap binder, filled it with paper and he puts all his stickers in.

It will get easier. I promise. 

• CONGRATULATIONS Mama! Thinking of you as your family makes the transition to two!

Can't wait to see pics!

Pregnancy Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Congrats--what a beautiful name!  I'm sure it's a big shock for her--hopefully she'll adjust quickly! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Congrats!  Glad that Ashlyn's doing well.  Praying for Haley to adjust quickly and you to heal fully. 
  • imageindybride4.8.06:

Hi girls - Better late than never, right?!  Well, the induction went picture perfect on Friday!  After breaking my water at 8:50, I immediately went into a great contraction pattern, contracting every 2 minutes (and very strong contractions at that!).  I ended up getting the epi not too much later.  At that point, I was 5cm and 80% effaced.  After the epi, I was started on the lowest dose of pit.  Thank goodness I got the epi because my contractions were topping out on the monitor.  Little princess tolerated everything quite well.  My pit was upped only 2 or 3 times.  At about 12:45, I was 8 cm and had just a lip left to thin out.  At this point, I was feeling quite a bit of pressure with each contraction.  Not enough to hurt, but enough to know I was really close to being ready to push.  At 1:30, it was time, but my OB was on her way over, so we did a quick practice push and she was close to crowning.  Three pushes later, I had a baby girl.  Ashlyn is almost 1.5 lbs bigger than Haley and over an inch longer.  Her shoulders did get caught, but the nurse was able to help me push them out ok.

I felt like she was going to be bigger and she definitely is!  She was 8 lbs 5 oz and 21.25 inches long.  She has blond hair!!!!  Totally wasn't expecting that! :)

Recovery has been a little rough.  The contractions when I nurse are sometimes excruciating.  Worse than labor I think (but I never went through it without pain meds). :)  Seriously though, they're really painful and everyone that came in would tell me that the 2nd is worse than the first and so on.  So - watch out.  Not fun.  I'm healing up great though!  Very minor first degree tear with I think 3 or 5 stitches.  Swelling has gone down A LOT and I'm much more comfortable today. 

Breastfeeding is completely different this time.  She latched on immediately and has been doing really well.  We sometimes have a bit of a latch issue and she pinches more, but I can't complain.  My milk started coming in today though, so I'm more full and sore tonight than I have been.  I'm sure I'll have lots of questions about this since I never got this far with Haley.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed though that I can keep it up!

Life with 2 is HARD.  We came home this afternoon and Haley has had a rough time.  The jealousy issues are not fun and I feel so bad for her.  I want to be there as much as I was before, but it's hard to explain to her that I need to feed the baby when all she thinks is that I'm choosing Ashlyn over her.  I've been in tears more than once over it today (although I'm sure that's partially the hormones). :)

All in all, we're doing well.  I hope our first night at home goes alright.  Wish us luck.  I'll try to check in when I can! :)

It'll get easier--promise! Just makes sure to spend a little one-on-one time with Haley.  Include her in some of the baby things (diaper changes, etc.) and she'll get used to her sister in no time!

Congrats on the sweet baby girl!

• lemen99lemen99 member
    Congrats!!! I hope the adjustment to having 2 children goes well - I can't imagine how hard it must be!
  • Congrats!! Hope that things are going as good as they can now that you are home!
  • Congratulations!  I love her name!
  • Oh my gosh - congratulations!! I've been totally out of the Bump loop lately and can NOT believe you've already delivered! So glad things went so well. Best wishes - can't wait to see pictures! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Congratulations on your new little girl!  I hope everything gets a little easier as the week goes on with having two.  I can imagine that it is really difficult.
  • Congrats!!!  Can't wait to see pics.  Thanks for being so honest with how you feel about having 2.  Ellie is going to be almost the same age as Haley is when we bring this baby home and I know it's going to be hard on all of us.  I hope it gets better for you all soon and Haley adjusts quickly!
  • I know I'm late...but congratulations! What a beautiful name. Good luck with the transition to being a family of four!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"