Breastfeeding

Breastfeeding + Teething = (fill in the blank)

Just curious how teething affected your feedings, if at all.  I've heard that sucking can be painful for little ones when they teethe. How did your baby act when teething and BFing?  I know part of what I'm seeing is just typical 4 month old fun, and not necessarily teething, but I'm starting to wonder if she's getting a tooth.  Her hands are just constantly in her mouth - to the point where she's in the middle of eating and trying to get her fingers in there... or sucking on her pacifier and trying to cram fingers in there, too. When she's eating, she's popping on and off quite a bit and rubbing her face a lot, too.  

What behaviors did you see at feeding time when your baby was teething? How long did they last before the tooth appeared?

Thanks! =)

Re: Breastfeeding + Teething = (fill in the blank)

• Novem06Novem06 member

DS's bottom teeth broke thru at 4 mo so he was in pain from it during his third month.  He didn't act any different while nursing until near the end (when the teeth were pretty much thru).  Then he bit me a few times. 

However, while teething and not nursing his hands were always in his mouth, he got colds, often had a bit of a fever, wanted to bite everything and would cry in pain.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageNovem06:

DS's bottom teeth broke thru at 4 mo so he was in pain from it during his third month.  He didn't act any different while nursing until near the end (when the teeth were pretty much thru).  Then he bit me a few times. 

this.  Drew bit me once when his bottom two teeth came through (they came at the same time), and once when his top two came (again, same time).

Otherwise, teething had no effect on nursing whatsoever!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • We have one tooth all the way down. another broke through and 2 more about to break through. My nipples are purple because she is biting me to try to sooth. DD would pull off and scream a lot as well almost like she had gas but didn't. Oragel helps an incredible amount so does tylenol if you are dealing with multiple teeth coming in at once.  
  • We allow DS to nurse for comfort when it is really bothering him. I would say that there was NO difference while teething for me. His 1st tooth broke thru on the 22 and he has nipped a few times but I wouldn't call it a full on bite. This Sat his second tooth cut which seems to be bothering him more then his first (or could be just the pain from 2 at nearly the same time) so he's again nursing for comfort. My advice learn LO's cues and when you see he's starting to get done/ tired break the latch. LO has only nipped once he was sleeping or done and not off the boob.
    Our Halloween Treat! Self-weaned at 23months Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"