Multiples

If your babies were born @ 36 wks. did they have any NICU time?

I am still nervous about this and really hope the boys will not need any NICU time. My Dr. assures me that 36 weekers do very well and she doesn't expect they will need any interventions. I will be set for an induction around June 16 which is my 36 wk. mark due to having large babies and GD. She originally wanted me to make it to 38 wks. but recently told me she thought it would be better @ 36-37 wks. and last wk. told me she won't let me go past 36 wks. We are expecting the babies to be around 7 1/2 lbs. by 36 wks. a piece. @ 31 wks. they were est. to weigh 4 and 4 1/2 lbs. I will have one more growth scan @ 35 wks. My Dr. says it will be amazing if I make it to 36 wks. and have about 16 lbs. of baby in me. I already measured 49 wks. pregnant @ 33 wks.!!!!! I fully agree with and trust her opinion. What was your experience if you had 36 wkers.??? Thanks:)
Caroline Faith 1.10.06, Audrey Alexis 11.1.07, Noah James & Ethan Alexander 6.17.10

Re: If your babies were born @ 36 wks. did they have any NICU time?

• my boys were born at 36 weeks exactly and did not need any NICU time. good luck and congratulations for making it this far. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • my singleton was born at 36w and had no NICU time. He did need 2 extra days under the lights b/c of jaundice - but i also needed 2 extra days because of kidney stone surgery - so we were discharged on the same day.  he was born at 7lb 4oz.

36w is usually the cut off for not needing NICU in general - though even full term babies sometimes need the NICU - so nothing is a sure bet- but I wouln't stress about 36w esp since you have GD - safer to deliver then.

• Loading the player...
  • Nope!  No NICU for us.  Sounds like your babies are big and healthy and will be ready like your dr. says!
  • My babies are almost the same sizes and my scheduled induction is at 38w1d if they don't come sooner.  At 30.5 weeks they were 4lb and 4lb 2oz.  At 34.5 weeks they were 5lb 14oz and 6lb 2oz.  My doctor said he delivered twins earlier this year that were both over 8lbs.   Is there a risk with having 8 lb babies? I honestly don't know the answer. 
    IVF #3 10/09 BFP! 12dp3dt Beta #1 = 319 14dp3dt Beta #2 = 565 21dp3dt Beta #3 = 10,475! u/s showed twins!! IVF 12/12 BFP! image Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • No NICU time for us.  I had steroid shots at 33 weeks and was on terbutaline pills and bedrest from 33 to 36 weeks.  My girls were 6 lbs and 6 lbs, 10 oz.
  • Mine were 36 4 days and no nicu time.  Almost 6lbs each and I had the steroid shots at 24 weeks...  they did have pretty bad jaundice and were under the lights for the two days we were there and then had to go to the pedi every other day for the first week.
  • Mine were born at 36 weeks 2 days, no NICU time.  They were born at 5 lbs 12 oz and 7 lbs 2 oz.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • 36w2d here and no NICU time!  Good luck!

After 2 rounds of IVF & 2 rounds of FET, we were blessed with identical twin girls!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Mine were born 2 weeks ago at 36 weeks, 2 days and they did not need any NICU time.  They weighed 5'3 and 6'4. 
  • Mine were born at 35 weeks and 5 days. Henry stayed in the NICU overnight for observation, and Joey was in the NICU for 12 days.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Mine were born at 35w2d and DD came home with us while DS stayed 26 days in NICU, although his case was a rare thing.
    Our Blog TTC since 10/2004 Follistim+Ovidril+Metformin=BFP on 12/8/08 2 heartbeats-12/30/08 Betas- 10DPO-104 12DPO-274 Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • mine were born at 34 w, 5 days and only had 1 day of NICU
  • 36 weeks 1 day: A-6lbs 13oz B-7lbs 3oz. No NICU time. 

Doctor was going to push me to 38-39 weeks (went into PTL at 29 weeks but he still had this goal) only delivered bc BP was so high. Big babies but no GD. measuring 54 weeks when I delivered EEK!  

Good Luck Momma!  

<3 Mommy to Markhas Aiden 10-4-06 Born at 29 weeks & Spontaneous Twins, Mackayla Grace and Braylon Deion 3-12-10 Born at 36 weeks 1 day <3 <a href="http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e78/sejabernathy/?action=view&current=Untitled.jpg" target="_blank">PhotobucketMY B.L.O.G. Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersa> Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • ardillaardilla member

W & G were born at 36w0d and had no NICU time.  They spent about 6 hours after they were born in the "transition nursery" while they were being evaluated to see if they were going to the NICU or regular nursery.  W had low blood sugar at first and they were on the smaller side (G was 4 lbs 2 oz, W was 4 lbs 9 oz) that they wanted to see what would happen with their temps.  They were required to stay in the regular nursery overnight after a visit with us for more observation, but after that, they were allowed to stay in my room as much as I wanted.  I did have the steroid shots at 24 weeks due to PTL.

Best of luck!

After 20 months TTC with PCOS, we were blessed with twins!
    They arrived at 36 weeks after PTL and bedrest for 14 weeks. Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    imageimage
  • 35w2d and no NICU time except for a night of "observation" for my IUGR baby.  I did have the steroid shots around 27 weeks, though.
  • Thanks ladies! You have rested my worries and I am going to be one ready mommy in 17 days!!!!!
    Caroline Faith 1.10.06, Audrey Alexis 11.1.07, Noah James & Ethan Alexander 6.17.10
  • my wtare broke at 36 weeks/3days...no NICU (I also didn't receive any shots in preparation for them being earlier).

Good luck!!!! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My triplets were born at 35 weeks, 6 days.  They weighed 5.3, 4.13 and 4.13.  Allie and Em did not need any NICU time at all.  They spend 2 days in the Special Care Nursery and then roomed with me.  Anna has spina bifida and needed surgery right after her birth.  She had no preemie issues though and we were told that she wouldn't have been in the NICU otherwise.

Good luck! 

• My boys were born at 36w2d.  Kaden spent 24 hours in the NICU for observation due to his weight.  He was 4lbs 6oz.  Nolan who was 5lbs 9oz came straight to our room.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • 36 weeks to the day & no NICU time. DD did have a little trouble breathign at first & went to the special care nursery for about 2 hours until she was stable. 
  • RobynKRobynK member
    35w5d -- 4 hours in the NICU for observation since they were before 36 weeks (hospital policy).  We did get steroid shots Wed/Thur and they arrived on Saturday.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"