Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Was anyone "against" paci's and then ended up using one?

I tried using a paci with ds1 but at 3 months old, he switched to his thumb. I don't remember him taking it too much for sleeping, just during the day to calm him at times.

For ds2, he seems to need it quite a bit at the beginning of a nap or at bedtime (he spits it out in a matter of a few minutes when he falls asleep and go in and take it out. He doesn't seem to need it after his nightime wakings though). I'm having nightmares of him being 6 months old or so and crying in the middle of the night because he can't find that darn thing.

At least the thumb was attached...lol.

Re: Was anyone "against" paci's and then ended up using one?

• BFab11BFab11 member
    I prefer a paci over thumb because when LO is older and I'm trying to wean, it'll be easier to take away a paci than a thumb.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DD liked the paci, but would let it fall out after falling asleep and wasn't bothered by it. I think if she had been really dependent on it, I would have taken it away. She was pretty much done with it by the time she was 9 months old.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I was against but DD had colic so we tried one out of desperation since we were trying everything- she wouldn't take it.  By the time we had DS, reports were out that pacis might reduce the risk of SIDS. He wanted one all the time, plus he found his thumb.  DH sucked his thumb and had dental problems and DS takes after DH with everything.  So we went ahead and pushed the paci use.

This one is in the middle.  She uses one when she is fussy and right after most feedings, but spits it out when she is done.  

I find the glow in the dark mams to be helpful (I think they only come in 6 mo plus.)

• imageBFab11:
    I prefer a paci over thumb because when LO is older and I'm trying to wean, it'll be easier to take away a paci than a thumb.

I hear ya, trust me. I have a 3.5 year old thumb sucker. UGH! I guess there is good and bad about both. """sigh''''

• I wasn't against them in general, but I wasn't planning to introduce it so early. The nurses at the hospital gave him one on the second day, without even asking me first. I was LIVID. What made it worse is that LO's bassinett had one of those 'Breast Only' labels on it, but the nurse ignored it because "He was really fussy in between feedings".
  • We did! We "caved" and used one at only a few days old for DD. She was so cranky as a newborn, we felt we had to try. She never really loved it but it did help get me thru several grocery shopping trips etc so, worth it. And she gave it up all on her own around 3mos so we never had to worry about weaning her.

This time around it seems (so far, he's only 2wks old......but DD was a crankypants from day 1 so.....) DS is a MUCH easier-to-soothe baby so I am thinking we may not use one at all.

• I didn't want to use a paci with DD1, or at least not until like four weeks -- until she got here, desperately wanted to suck on something ALL the time, and my nips were so sore and bleeding from BFing. We tried a paci within the first few days! But she wouldn't take it -- hated every kind we tried. She was a very anti-paci baby. 

On our pedi's advice, we helped her find her hands and she sucked on fingers/thumbs. She gave that up on her own after a few months.

We tried a paci within the first few days with DD2 as well. She'll take a paci sometimes (usually from DH), but is very meh about it. She seems to like her thumbs, when she can find them. 

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
  • I'm not against pacis (I was a long-term paci user, myself LOL).  My DD absolutely refused one and found her thumb at about 12 weeks (I basically nursed/comfort nursed her all the time up until then).  When she cut her first teeth, she bit her thumb, drew blood, and never sucked her thumb again (and she seriously never had her thumb out of her mouth between 12 weeks and 8 months).  It took a few weeks for her to learn to soothe herself without her thumb, but we lucked out, in general, because she weaned herself from it.

I really pushed the pacifier on DS because I knew I'd need some soothing method beside the boob because of having to deal with DD and he really took to it (the Soothie anyway).  He's been rooting for his hands a lot lately, so maybe he'll suck his thumb anyway.

imageimage Ashley Sawtelle Photography
  • I thought I wasn't going to use one b/c I didn't want it to interfere w/ BFing.  We did end up using a Soothie in the hospital though & she is BFing fine & it calms her.  

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"