Parenting

Does blonde hair grow in slower?

DS2 has strawberry blonde hair (no idea where he gets this)..lol. In a lot of pictures he looks bald, even though he isn't. Does it take longer to notice the blonde hair filling in as opposed to darker hair?

Re: Does blonde hair grow in slower?

• I don't know why, but it seems like that is the case. My whole family has thick, dark hair except for my sister. She is the only blond one and she was almost completely bald until she was two. Fortunately she has hair now. ;-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Both my kids have blonde hair.  DD had way more hair at 14 months than DS does.  I don't think it has anything to do with hair color.  My cousin has brown hair and didn't really get much until she was 3.  She is 18 now and has great hair.
  • Loading the player...
  • 4Speedy4Speedy member

I just saw this on Dr. Oz this week.  Each strand of dark hair is about 3 times as thick as a strand of light hair.  So a blond baby has to grow 3X's as much hair to look as full as a dark haired baby.

Conversely, as an adult, when a hark haired person loses hair, it shows up quicker.  A blond haired person can lose three times as much hair as a dark haired person before it becomes noticeable.

• image4Speedy:

I just saw this on Dr. Oz this week.  Each strand of dark hair is about 3 times as thick as a strand of light hair.  So a blond baby has to grow 3X's as much hair to look as full as a dark haired baby.

Conversely, as an adult, when a hark haired person loses hair, it shows up quicker.  A blond haired person can lose three times as much hair as a dark haired person before it becomes noticeable.

Hmmm. That is very interesting. Thanks. :-)

• DD was born with dark hair, DS was born with dirty blonde hair (and I'm guessing it's going to get lighter), but he has a TON of it.  So I guess he bucks the rule.
    imageimage Ashley Sawtelle Photography
  • Our blondie took FOREVER to grow a head of hair!
  • I always thought that was true.  DD1 and DS have brown hair and were both pretty bald until one year old.  DD2 is still pretty bald but has more than they did and she is blonde.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"