Austin Babies
Options

How much is too much sleep?

I know they say newborns sleep a lot, like 16-18 hours a day.  But, how should they spend their 6-8 hours of wakeful time?  I've noticed that Baby S doesn't seem to spend any time awake during the day, she'll wake to eat and then go straight to sleep.  At night is when she seems to want to be up, but even then it seems that it's more of that she sleeps in 1 hour blocks rather than 2ish (which is what she does during the day). 

I've read to not try to keep your baby awake during the day, just let them hear the daily noises and be up if they want to be up.  And I'm sure she has issues with day/night confusion, but is there something more I can do to help her sleep more at night?  OR should I just not worry about it?  If your baby was wakeful at night what did you do keep them interested until they were ready to sleep?

This whole mom thing has me completely lost.  I just feel like I'm doing everything wrong and it's my fault that she cries so much at night.  Sad

IMG_1749_2

Re: How much is too much sleep?

• Options

you should not feel like you are doing anything wrong!!! those first couple weeks are just really hard for everyone:)  there is a big adjustment period. 

it does sound like she might have her days and nights a bit confused and i don't have much advice for that as we didn't have to deal with that a ton.   i don't know if you are swaddling her or not but that might help for night time.  we also tried to implement a bedtime routine really early...it really just meant that he got in his sleep sack and swaddle for night time.  we did swaddle during the day for awhile but then we stopped doing it for daytime sleeping (i can't remember when).  

hang in there...you are doing great momma!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Baby's sleep has a lot to do with circadian rhythms and being exposed to "daytime" things vs. "nighttime" things.  Colleenor is right on about the routine - we should have started one WAYYYY sooner than we did (we started at about 10-12 weeks).  The nighttime routine will give S the signals to sleep.  Also, try exposing her to daylight a lot, even during daytime naps, and then try to make the night time sleep area as dark and quiet as possible.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Emily just ate and slept and slept and slept for the first 3 MONTHS. She would sleep in the bouncy on the couch with Abby using the ball popper right next to her! Abby was an "up for an hour, down for an hour" baby for a long time.

Just keep a routine to help them learn days and nights. Curtians open during the day, plenty of light and a little stimulation while awake (don't overdo it). At night, dark and quiet. They'll get it. Bath at bedtime too etc. Otherwise, don't worry about it - anything is normal at this point.

The only time to worry is if they won't wake to eat  at all or are lethargic, as in, you cannot stimulate them to be awake and they're floppy etc. That can be a sign of jaundice.

You need to update your ticker =)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"