Infertility

Question about e2, and also a vent

First, my question. I see lots of people talking about their e2 level...what is that? I know I will probably get a lot of people telling me to switch from my ob/gyn to an RE because REs test for all that stuff and gyn's don't...but I had decided a while ago that I would stay with my doc through 3 inject cycles, and if not pregnant by then I would move on.

Well, I'm in my 2nd inject cycle, and not responding nearly as well to it as I did last cycle. I'm wondering if I should ask my doctor about monitoring my e2 levels? What exactly does that show?

I feel like a newbie asking stuff like this..but I know you ladies can help me out!

And...now for my vent. I found one of my old college roomies on FB tonight.  We got to chatting...catching up on life over the last 13 years or so. Of course, the whole "are you going to have kids" question came up. I'm open about our IF, so I said we have been trying for a year, and are going through different fertility treatments to see what may work for us. She actually said to me these comments:

You're just thinking about it too much.

Why don't you do like Phoebe's sister did on Friends and get drunk and have sex in the backseat of the car?

You could be like me and have your husband just look at you and you get knocked up 3 different times!

*blink* I think she said a couple other things, but these just pissed me off so much, and I've closed out of the chat window, so I can't go back to reread it. Ugh. D@mn fertiles. This is why I don't usually seek out people from my past on FB. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
SAIFW

Re: Question about e2, and also a vent

• e2 is your estradiol level. It correlates to mature follies. my RE says that your e2 will ride approx 200 for every mature follie. This is VERY important with inject cycles because they dont always see everything on the follie scans and you need to make sure your e2 isnt too high that its too risky to do the IUI. I would NOT do an injectable IUI without my e2 level being checked..... it can put you and any HOM at risk. I wold def ask about it!

as for your vent: Last night I was with my college friend and one of them told me that I should adopt because then I will probably get pregnant because it happened to 2 ppl she knows. I explains thats a load of crap and one of the other girls with us said she knew someone that happened to too. No girls, its not like that. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It's amazing some of the things people suggest Confused

• Loading the player...
  • Well, we aren't doing IUI....we are doing TI...but I still understand your point. We definitely don't want HOM (at this point, though, I am lucky to get one follie that is big enough to trigger....I only had one that was anywhere near big enough last cycle - it was 18 when we triggered, and the next closest in size was under 10...this cycle, I'm hoping one of the 2 that were at 14 on Friday will be up to 18 tomorrow when I go in for my follicle check - all the others were much smaller). I think I will ask my doctor about testing my e2, though. 

Another question...I've always heard (from my doctor, and reading on this board) that follies need to be larger (like 18+) to be considered mature enough to trigger. Can you have a higher e2, but smaller follicle? Or would the higher e2 just signify a bigger follie that just isn't seen on the ultrasound?

Thanks for answering!!!!

As for my vent...yeah, people just don't understand, and make stupid comments. I tried to be as nice as I could and say that her solutions wouldn't really help me to ovulate....so I would just stick with my injectible meds for now. Gotta love those "helpful hints"! 

SAIFW
  • I was also told that anything over 18 is mature. I think the e2 also helps them predict if they are about to make a growth spurt.  I only had a 15.5 and 13.3 and a bunch at 9 but my e2 came back at 428 so we did one more night of 225IU gonal f then triggered sat night and then IUI today. he was assuming I had 3 mature follies by today he said. 

I dont know for sure but I think that in order for the e2 to be that high there has to be some maturing follies, maybe ones they didnt see, maybe ones that are about to make a big growth spurt.

I would just ask your dr and see what she says! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks for your info, Lindsey! I'll talk to my doc about it, and see what he says!
    SAIFW
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"