Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

s/o farmer tan on babies

I know it's bad, but I lots of time forget or don't think to put sunscreen on ds.  I will if we're going to something like watching his brother play baseball or in the pool.  But just going outside to play?  It doesn't even cross my mind.  We are never out for a super long time.

I think it's because he has his father's Arabic skin and never burns.  I will try to make a better effort since I know darker skin can still get cancer.

My bad-mommy confession of the day.

Re: s/o farmer tan on babies

• My DS is fair-skinned and I am the same way.  It really only occurs to me if he is doing something like swimming or going to the beach.  But like you said, I never think of it when we are just going to the park.  I really need to get better about it.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • imageShanJosh777:
    My DS is fair-skinned and I am the same way.  It really only occurs to me if he is doing something like swimming or going to the beach.  But like you said, I never think of it when we are just going to the park.  I really need to get better about it.

I hate sunscreen on him for the same reason I hate wearing it myself- it makes you a sticky, stinky mess.  I'm so fair skinned that I burn in October, but I still have to be reminded to put it on.  And my mom had skin cancer removed from sun damage, so you'd think I'd know better.

• Loading the player...
  • imageShanJosh777:
    My DS is fair-skinned and I am the same way.  It really only occurs to me if he is doing something like swimming or going to the beach.  But like you said, I never think of it when we are just going to the park.  I really need to get better about it.

I need to be better, too.  If we're out for more than 30 minutes then I lather it on, but I really should do it more often. I am fair skinned, too, and burn easily.  DD hasn't burned yet but I can easily see it happening. At least we use the hat when we can, and that covers her face. But it doesn't help her shoulders and arms.

And we don't usually put it on her legs b/c my legs never burn...but her legs are starting to tan so I feel kinda guilty.  She must have some of DH's tanning capability b/c my legs stay pasty white all year round.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • this is one thing I am really great about. the sun here is crazy intense, so I really can't afford to forget it. I even reapply while we're out ;-P

now brushing her teeth....that's another story. when I do remember, she often doesn't let me. hmm...

• I have the sunscreen out in the garage as a reminder to put it on when we leave the house.  DH is horrible at remembering, I remember every single time.  I have very fair skin and had a mole removed last October that worried my derm.  Thankfully it was nothing to worry about but it freaked me out enough to be overly cautious about DD's sun exposure as well as my own.  I can't remember the last time I had a tan.

DH on the other hand never wears sunscreen so I think that's why he forgets to put it on DD.  Drives me up the wall.

• my mom always reminds me that when we were little we would spend HOURS swimming in the backyard. When we would get burned (which was rare...my brothers and I have really olive skin) she would just throw a tshirt on us. she said the only time i wore sunscreen is when i went swimming at my neighbors house because her mom would put it on me :) lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"