Pregnant after a Loss
Options

Can someone explain bf stuff to me?

I am registering for a breast pump but I have no idea what else I will need? What are breast pads, shields? Do I need bags or the plastic containers with covers for freezing? I will be staying home with lo so will only pump occasioanlly. Just not sure what all that stuff was at BRU. Thanks!

Re: Can someone explain bf stuff to me?

• Options

Breast pads are disposable or washable pads that sit inside your bra.  They catch all of your leaking milk so you don't soak through your bra/shirt.

Breast shields/shells are used to draw out inverted/flat nipples.  Nipple shields are silicone nipples that sit on your nipple to protect them if they are cracked/bleeding or if you have latch issues.  They should really only be used at the advice of a LC as you don't want baby to get used to the nipple shield in the long run.

I find the freezer bags (Lansinoh) the easiest to store and thaw later on.  You can freeze them so they lay flat in the freezer and all you need to do is put them in warm water for a few minutes and they thaw right out.

Bunny 05.2008//mc 9.2009//Bubba 07.2010//mc 10.2011//
    Bloggin' It
  • Options

You'll need breast pads for leakage, lots of them if you're using disposable. I can guarantee as soon as it gets close to feeding time or a baby cries, your boobs will explode and you'll get a let down. 

Shields (maybe) it really depends. If you have inverted nipples, shields can help. Also some swear by to help sore nipples during feedings. I never used them when I bf so I couldn't give my advice on them really. My nips hurt the first couple weeks until bf was firmly established, but after that I didn't have any problems. 

If you're not going to be pumping a lot, I'd get he little bottles / containers with covers for freezing, bags work just as well though, it's what I used and I never had any problems.

I never used lanolin either, but again some people swear by it, and I'll probably have that on stock this time as well. 

If you plan to NIP don't forget a cover. You can use a blanket, but honestly they are a pain in the butt and are constantly falling and don't cover everything all the time. 

Marie, wife to Ron, mom to DS
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageCoastieWife08:

Breast pads are disposable or washable pads that sit inside your bra.  They catch all of your leaking milk so you don't soak through your bra/shirt.

Breast shields/shells are used to draw out inverted/flat nipples.  Nipple shields are silicone nipples that sit on your nipple to protect them if they are cracked/bleeding or if you have latch issues.  They should really only be used at the advice of a LC as you don't want baby to get used to the nipple shield in the long run.

I find the freezer bags (Lansinoh) the easiest to store and thaw later on.  You can freeze them so they lay flat in the freezer and all you need to do is put them in warm water for a few minutes and they thaw right out.

Thx, so much to learn! Do you have the Lansinoh pump too?

• Options
    imageClery:
    imageCoastieWife08:

I have the Ameda Purely Yours, which is the same as the Lansinoh Double Electric pump.  I used it to exclusively pump with DD.

I know some people like to pump directly into bags, but I found it a million times easier (and more accurate as far as measurement goes) to pump into the bottles that came with the pump and then transfer to the bags.  I tried using the bags to measure, but ended up getting different amounts somehow.  

Bunny 05.2008//mc 9.2009//Bubba 07.2010//mc 10.2011//
    Bloggin' It
  • Options
    Thx ladies!
  • Options

Pads- I have two boxes of these and don't use them but I'm also lucky enough that I dont leak.

Shields- This is the only way I can get M to latch. They are used to help babies latch so you may need one, you may not.

Plastic Containers- I would get a box of them (that's what I have) They are easy to pump into and are good for putting milk into and just putting a nipple on to make a bottle. They only hold 2.5oz. so you grow out of them pretty fast.

Bags- Those are what we use now and yes you will need them.

HTH!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageCoastieWife08:
    imageClery:
    imageCoastieWife08:

I have the Ameda Purely Yours, which is the same as the Lansinoh Double Electric pump.  I used it to exclusively pump with DD.

I know some people like to pump directly into bags, but I found it a million times easier (and more accurate as far as measurement goes) to pump into the bottles that came with the pump and then transfer to the bags.  I tried using the bags to measure, but ended up getting different amounts somehow.  

This!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageCoastieWife08:

This!  

I would recommend getting a car adapter for your pump.... its a lifesaver!  I am a SAHM also, but I use(d) my car adapter ALL the time.  I would pump while driving (hands free, obviously) and then have a warm bottle ready to go whenever we got to church, a restaurant, a friend's house, etc... it was very convenient and they're only $17.  One of the best $17 baby-related items I purchased.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"