Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

what do you think? (nttgpr)

so i sign on to facebook and find my sister-in-law posted a video of my 5 year old neice (MH's brother's daughter) singing in the car to that rhianna rude boy song.  the thing is my sister-in-law is deaf and actually titled the video "___singing to brittany spears", so she basically thinks her daughter is singing something much more innocent than "c'mon rude boy is you big enough" on facebook.  my first reaction was to laugh and my second reaction was horrified that this was on facebook.  that song makes me blush and i'm 33....definitely not a song a 5 year old should be singing.

MH says it's fine and he's not going to say anything, and i'm not sure it's my place to say anything.  am i making too big a deal about this?

Re: what do you think? (nttgpr)

• Options
    If this is your husband's sister and he says to leave it alone, I would probably leave it alone.
    Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Options
    I do think you should leave it alone, but I also agree it is not appropriate for her to be singing the song nor should it be on the internet.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    leave it alone...if they want to let her listen to it, it is their decision.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageSarahL77:
    If this is your husband's sister and he says to leave it alone, I would probably leave it alone.

This for me, unless of course your husband is like mine and HATES any sort of confrontation, so he lets too many things go by.  

• Options

imagecloey615:
    leave it alone...if they want to let her listen to it, it is their decision.

well, the thing is, since SIL is deaf it probably just looked to her like her daughter was singing brittany spears, so i don't think she realized.  but yeah,  agreed i'll leave it be.

• Options

I am going to answer this from a different perspective.  I am Deaf, and personally I would rather my brothers or sister-in-laws tell me if I had done something like that.  It is embarrasing when we do things like that and I would rather be told than have a video up making me or someone I love look like an idiot.  You could approach it by just asking what song the child was singing, and then letting her know that she is not singing the song she thought she was.  If she chooses to change it from there that is her choice.

Personally I would rather know.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

thanks for your feedback lauren!  your response made me think maybe i should send her a quick email just to let her know what the song really is.  my husband is just a little more laid back about this kind of stuff, so i didn't know what to think.

ok, i'm pnr'ing because we're headed out to get a drink.  have a good night and thanks everyone for the feedback!

• Options
    imagejbvg:

that song makes me blush

Me too! Embarrassed As others have mentioned, I would follow MH's lead on this one. I have to admit that I would want to know why MH was ok with it though...

ETA: In the time that it took me to type this darn message, problem solved, lol! Lauren-- that's great info to know, thanks.

• Options
    I completely missed the fact that you said that your SIL is deaf. Therefore, I agree with PP and would say something to her about the context of the song. After she knows the info, then you've put it into her hands to decide how to handle it down the line. Even though your husband doesn't agree, I would just tell her you would want to know if your child was being exposed to something that was very sexual and vulgar whether it be music, tv, or reading material. I think she will appreciate it and know that you are only thinking of the impact it will have on her child. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"