Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Extreme stranger danger, please help

Over the past month, DD has become extremely scared of people she doesn't know, including little kids who are half her size.  I think what started this was a little boy at the park pushed her.  She wasn't hurt but it really freaked her out.  Now if we are playing at the park and another kid comes within 20 feet of her, she starts crying and clings to me.  She's also scared of adults at the grocery store.  I have to hold her hand while she's in the shopping cart and push it at the same time.  I'm constantly reassuring her, but not sure what else to do.  Is it just a phase that will run its course, or should I be addressing it in other ways?  Thoughts?

Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Extreme stranger danger, please help

• Options
    I think that is just a phase.  Although my oldest DD actually wouldn't even talk to an adult outside of our family until she was close to 3.  Talk about a looonnnggg phase lol.   My younger one went through the more 'typical' stranger anxiety.  I think it's most important to just keep on with your routines.  Take her to the same places, talk to her calmly about what you're doing.  Try to find occasions where you can have her interact with other children in a positive way.  Don't 'coddle' her, but just reassure like you said you are doing.  She'll get through it!
  • Options
    Thanks.  You're probably right that it's just a phase.  I hope it doesn't last too long!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    could you put her in an ergo type backpack at the grocery store?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"