Natural Birth

Bradley, HypnoBirthing, HypnoBabies...

So I was originally planning on going to the Bradley & HypnoBirthing classes.  From reading through this board, it seems that it may be better to just pick one or the other.  

Also, I hadn't previously heard of HypnoBabies, but it does seem that some people like it much better than HypnoBirthing.  

Is doing more than one class over-kill? 

Re: Bradley, HypnoBirthing, HypnoBabies...

• i have no experience with bradley.

i got marie mongan's hypnobirthing book from the library because it was free to see if it was something i'd be interested in.  it comes with one CD.  i liked it, but didn't feel it was enough, so i paid for the hypnobabies home course.  it comes with a bunch of CDs and you build up your "skills" and practice different things.  i really like it.

my course says not to do bradley with hypnobabies, the creator of HB used to be a bradley instructor and put relevant L&D/background info in the book.  HB is more of an untraining of your mind, getting rid of previous biases and thoughts about childbirth and it uses different terminology, such as "pressure waves" instead of "contraction" and "guess date" instead of due date, etc.  The idea is to make it less medical and more natural and i can see how the two methods might conflict for some people.   instead of getting caught up in different stages of labor and counting breaths and things, you're supposed to relax and have confidence that your body will know what to do. 

I think if your husband wants a more active role bradley might be a better choice for some, but that's not the case for me:)

• I would do one method and stick with it.  We chose bradley, and being a 12 week course I wouldn't have wanted to do anything else.  Outside of class you need to do your exercises (squats/pelvic rocks/tailor sitting) work on your relaxation & practice with your birthing coach, and use good nutrition.  I wouldn't have wanted to add any other method into that.
  • Loading the player...
  • We took the hypnobirthing course. The book is definitely not intended to give you a comprehensive knowledge of the method--you really need the class. We really, really enjoyed the classes--just finished last Sunday. I went with hypnobirthing because my OB said it was the "best shot at a comfortable natural birth" that, to me, is a hugely ringing endorsement.
  • Everything I've read and heard has given HynoBabies the upper hand. I've heard that HypnoBabies is more comprehensive and the techniques are more effective, specifically because of the hypno-anesthesia techniques. HypnoBabies apparently gives more recorded materials for practice as well.
  • Yeah, each method tells you to pick one and stick with it. With our first LO we took a Hypnobirthing class. This time I read the Bradley book, then discovered Hypnobabies & ordered the homecourse. 

I agree with the things PP said about it, I like Hypnobabies best and think it is the most practical and helpful. I haven't had a chance to use it in labor yet but so far it has helped me mentally & emotionally. And the CDs really help me sleep. 

• imagevegandy:
    I would do one method and stick with it.  We chose bradley, and being a 12 week course I wouldn't have wanted to do anything else.  Outside of class you need to do your exercises (squats/pelvic rocks/tailor sitting) work on your relaxation & practice with your birthing coach, and use good nutrition.  I wouldn't have wanted to add any other method into that.

I did the same.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Hypnobabies is great.  It's very comprehensive and gives you a lot of techniques to choose from, plus I find I use it even now to control migraines and help me sleep.

Hypnobabies should not be used in combination with other methods.  Because you're essentially "reprogramming" your brain, the other classes can interfere and make it more difficult.

• I did Bradley classes with DD and Hypnobabies home study with DS. Just to add on a little to what pp's said...

The "exercises" for Bradley and Hypnobabies are almost identical (squats, pelvic rocks, tailor sitting, relaxation practice) so I don't see that being a conflict.

But I definitely agree that the "reprogramming" aspect of Hypnobabies would be very hard to reconcile with Bradley classes. It was really something that I had to embrace wholeheartedly.

I think a lot of it boils down to personal preference. I looked into Hypnobabies with DD, and it just felt a little too "woo-woo" for me. Bradley is more logical, almost scientific, and that appealed to me more, as a first-time mom. But when I looked at Hypnobabies again with DS, I realized that the philosophy lined up pretty well with my own philosophy on birth that had developed after going through it with DD.

I do think you should pick one method and stick with it. I feel that both Bradley and Hypnobabies do a fine job of preparing you for natural childbirth -- it really comes down to what works for YOU.

Mommy to DD1 (June 2007), DS (January 2010), DD2 (July 2012), and The Next One (EDD 3/31/2015)

• imageflyer23:

I did Bradley classes with DD and Hypnobabies home study with DS. Just to add on a little to what pp's said...

The "exercises" for Bradley and Hypnobabies are almost identical (squats, pelvic rocks, tailor sitting, relaxation practice) so I don't see that being a conflict.

But I definitely agree that the "reprogramming" aspect of Hypnobabies would be very hard to reconcile with Bradley classes. It was really something that I had to embrace wholeheartedly.

I think a lot of it boils down to personal preference. I looked into Hypnobabies with DD, and it just felt a little too "woo-woo" for me. Bradley is more logical, almost scientific, and that appealed to me more, as a first-time mom. But when I looked at Hypnobabies again with DS, I realized that the philosophy lined up pretty well with my own philosophy on birth that had developed after going through it with DD.

I do think you should pick one method and stick with it. I feel that both Bradley and Hypnobabies do a fine job of preparing you for natural childbirth -- it really comes down to what works for YOU.

This is exactly my plan and I'm glad to hear it went well for you.  I did Bradley for DD (my first) and am looking to start Hypnobabies with this one due in Dec.  I am very glad I have the foundation of Bradley and definitely could not have been into the "woo-woo" on the first go round.  Like you I need facts, data, science.  But knowing all that now (and knowing I've done this once, I can do it again), I am looking for a more zen-like potential less pain experience.  More open to the "woo" I guess Big Smile

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"