Single Parents

No baby schedule...Bad mom?

LO is not on any type of schedule what-so-ever, at least not what I would consider a schedule.  He does wake and up go to bed about the same time each day, but that's all his doing more than mine.  Seeing all the moms continuously talking about their schedules etc and I start to feel like a bad mom for not having LO on a schedule.  We get everything done that needs done (bath, naps, meals, etc.) but they never happen at the same time each day.   Maybe I'm just still in the whirlwind of trying to get our life back on track after leaving H, but I just feel like it's enough of a struggle to get everything done each day without trying to do it all at a specified time.  Then when I think about trying to get LO on a schedule I feel like there would be no point because it would go completely out the window when H had LO. 

I guess the point of this is to see if you ladies have any input on this situation.  Are your LOs on a strict schedule? What do you do about schedules when they are with thier fathers?  Any advice?

Re: No baby schedule...Bad mom?

• I really wouldn't worry about it. DD is going to be 8 mos tomorrow and she isn't on a schedule per se. She eats/sleeps etc all on demand. Relax, you're not a bad mommy!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I have been feeling this way too. We have a lot of routines, but not a schedule. I think it's fine though. A lot of people let their babies set their own schedule, and as long as you have some consistency with bedtimes and wake up times, and your baby doesn't seem too tired...I don't see how it can be too bad.

Most children thrive on a schedule because it helps set their internal clock, and it helps them anticipate what's going to happen next in their day. But with a baby as young as yours, and the upheaval of shared custody, it's something that you can develop with time. It doesn't make you a bad mom at all.

• Loading the player...
  • I've just started to get Miki into a routine but it is definitely not a schedule.  Our bedtime varies based on where we are and what time we get home.  Some days we sleep in later and other days we're wide awake early - it just depends on how we're both feeling. 

I'm not really worried because in time we will get it together, althought it isn't going to happen soon.  I'd much rather have her not be on a strict schedule (for when X gets home or we stay with his family).  Last thing I want is to have a baby that needs everything to happen at a specific time or she wails. haha.  You'll figure out what you need to work everything out.  Don't stress.

• DS is 9 months old and is just starting to set into his schedule. I couldn't imagine enforcing one on him. You can't make them eat when they're not hungry or sleep when they're not tired! The times he wakes up in the morning, goes down for his first nap, and goes to bed at night are pretty set. What is completely up in the air is his afternoon nap. It can start anytime from 11 to 3! The rest all kind of falls into place.
  • mrgnmrgn member

I follow A's lead as far as naps go. I try to feed her (solids) the same times daily and she goes to bed the same way/time every night. But she doesn't want any part of a nap schedule.

You're the mom. You know your baby. If LO is ok not on a schedule, then you're doing just fine!

• I think for me and especially my DDs, schedules were essential because both of them had to be on medication.  Between meds and dr. appts., schedules were the only way way to stay sane.  With DD#1 our schedule was sort of based upon the hospital because we were in there for her first 3 months of life when she was on chemotherapy.  We were in there every month for the just about the first year of her life.

You do what works for you though. I think issues with "scheduling" come when people hear how such and such a person let their LOs stay up until 2am.  I knew someone like that unfortunately. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"