Multiples

pls help! doing something wrong with naps @ 1yr :(

lately morning nap is great, but afternoon nap is getting worse and worse.  takes a long time for them to get to sleep.  too much crying. 

wake-up is 7am.  first nap is 9:30 till 11 or 11:30.  second nap is 1:30.

i'm sort of ruling out teething as morning nap is good, and it doesn't seem to matter if i've given motrin or not.   

should i move afternoon later?  or cut morning nap shorter (how short?) so they're tired at 1:30?  there is no way they are ready for 1 nap! 

Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: pls help! doing something wrong with naps @ 1yr :(

• I would try to move the morning nap back some and bump the 2nd nap back 30mins or so.

For us, they are up for 3.5 hours before their first nap and are up 2.5-3 hours between the 1st and 2nd so I would try extending their awake period.

How long are they up between 2nd nap and bedtime? I would use that as a judge and see how long they can go before they are overtired and adjust the awake periods.

hope you find something that works out!

Our Blog TTC since 10/2004 Follistim+Ovidril+Metformin=BFP on 12/8/08 2 heartbeats-12/30/08 Betas- 10DPO-104 12DPO-274 Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • janjagjanjag member
    imagelisa&andy:

I would try to move the morning nap back some and bump the 2nd nap back 30mins or so.

For us, they are up for 3.5 hours before their first nap and are up 2.5-3 hours between the 1st and 2nd so I would try extending their awake period.

How long are they up between 2nd nap and bedtime? I would use that as a judge and see how long they can go before they are overtired and adjust the awake periods.

hope you find something that works out!

so you are suggesting moving both morning and afternoon naps later? 

bedtime is at 7:50ish.  they are awake about 4 1/2 - 5 hrs from 2nd nap till bedtime.  audrey almost always has the longer awake periods through the day.

• Loading the player...
  • Yes, I would suggest having them awake longer, if they are on a 4 hr schedule then I would shoot for 3 hours of awake time if they will go with that. I know there is a chart out there for age vs. time awake I'll see if I can find it, that helped me a ton in figuring out naps.

Our Blog TTC since 10/2004 Follistim+Ovidril+Metformin=BFP on 12/8/08 2 heartbeats-12/30/08 Betas- 10DPO-104 12DPO-274 Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • i would shorten the morning nap. My boys will sleep for 2hours easily in the am nap but then will not sleep well at all for the afternoon nap -- which is when Griffin naps- so it's really important for me to have them sleep well for the PM nap :)

I wake them after an hour (hour and 1/2 at the very most) for their morning nap.  They go down at approx 12:30-1pm for the PM nap and generally nap 2 hours.

wake up around 6:30... first nap at 9am (they are sooo ready by 9am).

We'll move to one nap around 15mos like we did with Griffin.

• janjagjanjag member
    imagelisa&andy:

Yes, I would suggest having them awake longer, if they are on a 4 hr schedule then I would shoot for 3 hours of awake time if they will go with that. I know there is a chart out there for age vs. time awake I'll see if I can find it, that helped me a ton in figuring out naps.

my original intention for 2 nap babies was to do the 2-3-4hr wakeful times in between sleep.  but i got off that along the way. 

i agree, i think they need closer to 3 hrs between naps to be tired at this point.  think i'll try shortening the am nap, and maybe doing pm nap a little later too.  thank you! 

• janjagjanjag member
    imageGoldie_Locks_5:

i would shorten the morning nap. My boys will sleep for 2hours easily in the am nap but then will not sleep well at all for the afternoon nap -- which is when Griffin naps- so it's really important for me to have them sleep well for the PM nap :)

I wake them after an hour (hour and 1/2 at the very most) for their morning nap.  They go down at approx 12:30-1pm for the PM nap and generally nap 2 hours.

wake up around 6:30... first nap at 9am (they are sooo ready by 9am).

We'll move to one nap around 15mos like we did with Griffin.

this makes good sense to me.  mine are also really ready for their am nap at 9:30, and i cannot imagine pushing it back late enough to consolidate naps at this point!  i'm going to try shortening the am nap to help them get more awake time and be more tired by pm nap.  thank you!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"