Baby Showers

Diaper Cake as gift?

Hello. I have a question for you. I am making a very good friend of mine a diaper cake for her shower next month. I talked to her Mom and found out what theme they are doing (they are going with blue baby bottles and stuff) so I am making the diaper cake all blue as well. I told her Mom I was making her the diaper cake and that I would bring it a little before the shower and help them set up. Her Mom wants to use it as decoration on the gift table. Which is fine by me- she basically just wants to put it on the center of the table or whatever. My question is... Is this okay as my gift to her? This will be a large diaper cake with several items like a blue and white dog for the top, bibs, spoons, bottles, washclothes, pacifiers, nailclippers, hair brush, baby powder & wash, etc. There will be tons of little things on there so is this enough or should I get her something else too? I don't want it to look like I didn't get her anything! :)

Re: Diaper Cake as gift?

• K.a.T.eK.a.T.e member
    Yes, that's a great gift.  I'd recommend that you bring a card for the shower sharing with your friend that you made the diaper cake just for her.  Then she can open up the card when she is opening gifts. 
  • Em208Em208 member
    I think a cake is a good gift, especially if you're adding to it a bunch of little trinkets she can use later on. Like pp said, make sure you bring along a card.
  • Loading the player...
  • The cost of the diapers plus all of the extras is the cost of a normal gift - don't feel bad!  I second the card though.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Okay I wasn't even thinking about a card, thats a good way to tell her. Thanks!

• I think that's a wonderful gift, but I would get a card too. Have fun making it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • No, you shouldn't have to get her anything else!  That is PLENTY!  That sounds like a fantastic gift!!!  Definitely put a card on it, or on the bottom so they know it's from you.
  • The cake is your gift, but definitely bring a card Yes
  • Just a thought, in a previous post on the 2nd tri board, a lot of women complained that the diaper cakes they received made the diapers unusable, either because the maker had squashed/mangled the diapers or because the adhesives they used made detaching the diapers impossible. 

I think it's a very cute idea but you will want to make sure that the diapers are still in good shape or it's just a table topper.  GL and enjoy! :)

• I made a diaper cake for my co-worker's shower as my gift to her.  I included clothes, blankets, bottles, etc.  I think it is a thoughtful gift!
  • I've read many places online where people use tape or glue. Everyone thats I've made, I use rubberbands. You can't see them once you put the ribbon around the "cake". I can't imagine making one with something that would ruin the diapers.
  • imageK.a.T.e:
    Yes, that's a great gift.  I'd recommend that you bring a card for the shower sharing with your friend that you made the diaper cake just for her.  Then she can open up the card when she is opening gifts. 

Ditto this.  Or you could tie a cute gift tag/note to the diaper cake itself.

• imagenrbg116:
    I've read many places online where people use tape or glue. Everyone thats I've made, I use rubberbands. You can't see them once you put the ribbon around the "cake". I can't imagine making one with something that would ruin the diapers.

We use the clear poneytail holders that way we are sure that they are not seen.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickersimageimageimage
  • imagenrbg116:
    I've read many places online where people use tape or glue. Everyone thats I've made, I use rubberbands. You can't see them once you put the ribbon around the "cake". I can't imagine making one with something that would ruin the diapers.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickersimageimageimage
  • imagebekah22587:

Oh I like this idea. I never thought about those, I will have to go get some so I can start! Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"