Washington Babies
Options

Thinking of returning to work. Issues I haven't thought of?

I'm an SLP, and I've been working in schools exclusively for the last three years. For two years before that I did work in schools and did extra work outside of that with adults. So now I'm thinking of going back to work in a rehab facility for a primarily adult population. This seems like a good facility; it's in Tacoma (about a 45 min. drive) and they are willing to help me get refreshed in adult care. I'm interested in going back to work to feel a little more mentally challenged, not primarily for money. We looked at a day care today and I'm not 100% sure that I can make enough at part time to pay for child care. At full time, I could hope to pay for daycare AND contribute an extra 800 to the budget. I'm not even 100% sure I want to work and that I'm ready to put the kids in daycare. So is there anything I'm missing or not thinking of while I'm making this big decision?

Re: Thinking of returning to work. Issues I haven't thought of?

• Options

If it were me I probably wouldnt think that $800 a month was worth it if you do the math that equals out to around $5 an hour and that doesnt take into account the extra gas and ware and tear on your vehicle...  But then again, I have a completely different outlook on working.  I hate my job and would give anything to not be here =P 

imageimageLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers image . Ice Ice Binky Formerly FutureMrsLynch
  • Options

1. How tired would you be when you got home? I'm dead tired the days I work and have to do some serious meal planning in order to eat well and not out of the freezer. I also have a hard time shifting after a busy day. Things I can't always plan for.

2. Does Dash sleep through the night yet? I worked full time when Liam was 4 mos old and dang it there were days when I got 4 hours total... and not all in one stretch. It was rough.

3. Housework. Is Zap willing to pick up some of it?

These things seem to be my challenges as a working mom.  

Sarah- this is going to sound totally dumb but what is a SLP? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Not stupid at all :) SLP = speech language pathologist thanks ladies, good things to think about
  • Options
    The 45 minute commute would kill it for me frankly.
  • Options

imageSeattle_JiLLn:
    The 45 minute commute would kill it for me frankly.

This too!  Thats a really long commute, especially if there is traffic...  I once worked a job that was an hour commute, but it regularly turned into 2 hours and a few times it would take me 3 hours to get home.  It was miserable. 

imageimageLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers image . Ice Ice Binky Formerly FutureMrsLynch
  • Options

What's you attitude about working and having a career?  If you want to, one day work full time or be a career mom, it would help you to get back in the work force, with a company that is willing to help you get the refresher you need.  For me, I'd do it if I knew it would open doors for me to do the job I wanted where I wanted sooner.  Returning only gets harder the longer you are out and you will start further away from where you want the longer you wait.

I would consider an extra $800 enough for me to go back if money wasn't the point of working.  That is enough to hire someone to clean the house once a month, eat out a bit more than we do now and still put some away for a nice vacation or kids education.  Soon your kids will be in preschool/school and childcare costs will go down considerably and by then you'll have been working long enough to make more money than you do now too.

BIG Brother born 10/19/07 little Brother born 1/31/12
  • Options
    I am 100% sure that I will return to work. I spent five years in college/grad school and I love what I do. I just don't think that I can spend forever working in schools. The paperwork overwhelms the actual work. My dream job would be working in acute care, where people have recently had their strokes, brain injuries, burns, etc. But there is no way I could get there without some sub acute work before that. The rehab director is an SLP as well who maintains her certification and I was very open with her about how rusty my skills are. 800/month seems like a lot to me too.
  • Options

As Jen pointed out, if it is only $800 a month you are bringing home to the family budget then I would say there is no way I would return to work. To me $200 a week for working a  full time week verses staying home & missing out on milestones of your child is not a question to me.

My job that I am currently on maternity leave from, if I returned to FTime I would bring home around $600 a week and to me that is still not enough to justify paying childcare, petrol to & from work, tolls and the long working days! I figure we had a child for a reason, not for someone else to raise him. I guess my career can wait for a few years & then I will think about returning to work. Everyone's situation is different though. My BFF works fulltime & at the end of the work week she probably see's $100. To me that is ridiculous! 

collage Cooper Flynn is 3 years old and growing! May 10,2009 Miscarriage April 2008 Ectopic pregnancy August 2011
  • Options
    I've been home with my children full time for a year now. Even when I was on part time when Delaney was little, my mother in law was home with her two days a week. I know there are working moms here and I'm sure they don't feel like their childcare provider is raising their children. I'm considering returning to work to maintain my certification and licensure and also to look for a little more mental stimulation. I'm not sure that I'll be able to leave the babies at all, let alone five days a week. I spoke with a friend who provides occasional and excellent childcare for me yesterday and she's offered to provide childcare for both kids and I know that if they were there they would be nurtured, loved, and well cared for. I'm weighing my choices now and I will be making the ones that are best for my children and family.
  • Options

imagezapswife:
    II'm weighing my choices now and I will be making the ones that are best for my children and family.

And that's all you can do. As I said that is just my opinion if it was me deciding to go back to work or not.  It just would not be worth it to me i our situation. But only you & your DH can decide what is right for your children, and by the sounds of it you have some great support too which makes a world of difference, so good luck!! 

collage Cooper Flynn is 3 years old and growing! May 10,2009 Miscarriage April 2008 Ectopic pregnancy August 2011
  • Options

I would go back to work for less than $800 with the idea that it would further my career.  I love my field.

I think for the sake of your sanity you should figure out what a typical weekday and weekend will look like for you.

What time will you have to get up to get everyone ready and get to work on time?  How much time do you spend cleaning the house now and when would you do it?  Or would you pay someone?  When would you have time to go the the grocery store?  Will you have time to cook on most nights?  How much time will that leave for the kids, for your husband and for you?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"