Working Moms

Anyone go back to work when LO was older and have to start daycare suddenly?

I'm just wondering if anyone has experiences to share about putting their DC in daycare after being home for an extended period of time.  I'm extremely worried about putting DS in daycare at this point.  I'd consider a nanny too, but I actually think that daycare would be very good for him.  He's a little shy and has been the center of the universe for his whole life, and it might be good for him to be around other kids and learn social skills and how to share, etc.  (not that we don't go out and have play dates now, we do).

TIA! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Anyone go back to work when LO was older and have to start daycare suddenly?

• My sons started daycare (3 days per week) when they were 21 months old.  However, our situation is different than yours in that I went back to work when they were 5 months old and we had a nanny when that happened.  Honestly, mine adjusted well.  Yes, they cried during dropoff for about 2 weeks and would ask me to stay, but I have to admit I really like the structure daycare provides, the interaction between the kids, the curriculum and activies they do and the fact they get out of the house.  While it was awesome to have a nanny for over a year, it feel as though daycare has really helped mine come out of their shells. 
  • Sounds like exactly what I just posted!

I have been back to work since my LO was 10 weeks old.  But our day care situation may be changing so we need to look at options.  I do think this would be good for her to get her involved with other children, etc.   I am contemplating in home care, but really like the curriculum / structrue that the Day care center provides.

Best of luck to you!

• Loading the player...
  • I went back to work when DS#1 was a year old. Before that, he'd been to church nursery and gym babysitting some, but that was it.

He loved it from the start. There was lots to do, and he loved being around other kids. Immediately he gave up his bottle in favor of the sippy cups his new friends used. 

It was really not a big deal. I think the bigger deal you make of it, the bigger deal they will make of it. JMO.

• I think it's important to try not to worry so much! Children are very, very adaptable to changing situations. Toddlers especially enjoy being around other children in a nurturing setting. Once you've chosen a place that makes you comfortable, talk to the teachers and director about how they will support you in the transition to a child care program. I work for a national child care learning center company, and we have established plans to help children (and parents!) get comfortable with new schedules and routines. The great think about a child care program is that the teachers have lots of training and experience with all kinds of situations, and they are certainly accustomed to helping little ones get acclimated to new environments. 

Good luck, you'll be amazed at how much your child will learn and grow in child care center! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"