Baby Names
Options

Name help - the IV or a whole new name?

DH wants the child to be named after him - he is the 3rd so the baby would be the 4th.  I'd like to stop it at the 3rd but having a difficult time coming up with other boy names.  DH has not been flexible on other names - need help!!  What do I do?

Re: Name help - the IV or a whole new name?

• Options
    I'm so not a fan of jr, iii's etc.  Why can't this child have their own, different name? Is there anyone in YOUR family you'd like to honor?  Why does the entire "honor" of a name go to your DH? 
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    If you like the name, then use it. If not then choose something different. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If we were having a boy we would be having a IV because DH is a III and wants to continue the tradition. I'm not the hugest fan of having a 4th but it is really important to him.  We would call our son by his middle name though as the middle name is my first choice for a first name (also my dad's middle name). Could you use the middle name on a regular basis but give the name just for tradition sake?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options

My DH is a Jr. and I made it clear to him very early on that I wanted the opportunity to name a child. We are having a boy and we're giving him his own name.

If we were to have a 2nd son, I'd consider a III at that time but I'm still not 100% on it. 

• Options
    I can see the reasoning behind carrying on the tradition. I think you and your DH need to come up with a solution that works for both of you.
  • Options

My DH is completely the opposite. He has absolutely no desire to carry on his name. The issue is it's Samuel and I don't hate it and I love Sammy for a little boy.

I guess depending on how I felt about the name is what I'd be looking at instead of ending it at the IIII. I'm more ok with Jr. than after that so I get where you're coming from.

Remember, this is your baby too and DH needs to understand that. Could you use his first name as a middle name and just change the first??

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Is it possible for you and your DH to compromise on the name?  Perhaps you could use your DH's initials for the name?  If you are planning on having additional children, maybe the compromise could be that if he gets a 4th, you get to choose the name for the next child?  Good luck!
  • Options

imageEastCoastBride:

I'm so not a fan of jr, iii's etc.  Why can't this child have their own, different name? Is there anyone in YOUR family you'd like to honor?  Why does the entire "honor" of a name go to your DH? 

THIS.

imagesandraxtina:

My DH is a Jr. and I made it clear to him very early on that I wanted the opportunity to name a child. We are having a boy and we're giving him his own name.

If we were to have a 2nd son, I'd consider a III at that time but I'm still not 100% on it. 

And I hate even more when people do this. In my mind, it is like saying the first son you had was not "worthy" of his father's name.

• Options

I'm a huge sucker for tradition, so I would definitely go with the IV.  You can always use the middle name as his nick name, and since it's a name you love anyway, I say go for it!

DH's family has a generations-back tradition of giving the first-born son the father's first name as a middle name.  I wouldn't want our child to be the first to break that tradition.  Not because of how everyone else would react, but because there's something very special (to me) about keeping up with a family tradition.

ETA: sorry, just noticed that it was a PP who said that she already liked her DH's mn as a first name.

• Options
    cadencaden member

For me it would depend on how much I liked the name. I had a college prof who was a IV and everyone called him IV (like Ivy). I thought that was kinda cool. So maybe there is a nickname you guys can come up with for him. If I didn't like the name that would be it for me. 

• Options
    I'd pick one of his names - first or middle to incorporate into a name for your son.  There's no reason you shouldn't give your son his OWN name.  And personally I think it's a little sexist that men think it's important to name sons after themselves.  The son will already get his last name, he shouldn't take control of ALL the names!
    CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

Angel Baby: 5/29/08

• Options

DH is a III and he doesn't want to continue it, thank god because I was going to have to fight him :-)

I would get a book or sit down with him and search some names on the internet  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I belive a child should have his/her own identity. My only suggestion would be a double middle to allow for your say in the matter and keep the main the name.

• Options
    I'm as traditional as the next person, but I think it's a tad arrogant to insist that a child be named after yourself.  Give the kid his own identity.  We don't impose this outdated rule on girls, so why should a boy be saddled with it?

I have a friend who's a III and hated it.  Always getting confused with his father, etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"