Natural Birth

Going on a week late, starting to get anxious...

I'm starting to get anxious about the fact that baby is running almost a week late. I've been trying everything my midwives and I can come up with to get things moving, but I'm finding myself starting to worry that I'm doing something "wrong". Maybe I'm relaxing too much or maybe I'm being too active... maybe I'm eating the wrong things and that's somehow stopping labor... maybe I'm not hydrated enough or maybe if I let myself get slightly dehydrated I'd start having contractions... maybe I'm sitting/laying wrong and it's preventing the baby from moving where he/she needs to be...

I feel irrational, and I know that being anxious isn't helping things! *Sigh* just a vent I guess, but I really hope baby comes in the next week so I don't need a medical induction.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Going on a week late, starting to get anxious...

• you aren't doing anything wrong!  i know the feeling, i went late with my 1st and it's hard not to feel like your body isn't cooperating.  try to relax and take care of yourself.
  • I'm sorry you're having to wait so long - that must be really frustrating.  I didn't have that experience, but two of the other three women in my Bradley class did - one went a full two weeks past her due date, and the other was 10 days past.  You're not doing anything wrong; your LO just needs to bake a little longer!  Hang in there!
  • Loading the player...
  • I went into labor with DS at 41 weeks and 1 day - those eight days past 40 weeks were the longest in my freaking life, no joke. I had many, many thoughts that he would never come out, etc...you have my sympathies! You will go into labor!

Try not to do any crazy amounts of physical activity, though - I went swimming the day I started early labor, and was worn out when things finally picked up.

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• I just read that in France they're now considering the 41 week mark the "real" date.  My midwife likes this idea and has had me start thinking of my 41 week date as my actual due date because this is my first child.  I doubt that makes you feel much better considering how induction happy our country is, but I thought that I'd throw it out there!  41 weeks is totally natural!  
  • Hang in there: I can totally identify with your anxiety...I was terrified of being induced and was a week and change overdue when finally (a year ago today!) I finally did go into labor on my own, a little over 24 hours before I was scheduled to be induced. I had given up thinking it would actually happen without intervention, but you never know...  
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hang in there, I totally  understand your anxiety though.  Just wanted to say, don't let yourself get dehydrated!  Once you do go into active labor it will make it soooo much worse.  So keep those fluids up & hopefully your LO will decide to come soon!
  • Just remember a "due date" is an educated guess.  Your baby will know exactly when it's time to make an appearance :)  Best of luck to you!  How exciting!!!  I'm only 14 weeks I can't even imagine being at that point yet.  
  • Thanks for the encouragement, everyone - I did some gardening, took a nap, and maybe we'll go to the movies after dinner. And I'll totally take the notion that 41 weeks is a better edd!!
  • imaged.squaredII:
    I just read that in France they're now considering the 41 week mark the "real" date.  My midwife likes this idea and has had me start thinking of my 41 week date as my actual due date because this is my first child.  I doubt that makes you feel much better considering how induction happy our country is, but I thought that I'd throw it out there!  41 weeks is totally natural!  

This is what I've been doing all along.  If it comes earlier than that, well great!  I know how you feel though, I'm starting to read too much into EVERYTHING...every twinge, pain.  Yesterday I didn't feel well and was convinced that last night would be the night, but nope.  It is frustrating.  Anyway, I can't help but notice you're in the Metro Detroit area.  Where are you delivering??  I'm in Redford, but am delivering in Okemos at the Greenhouse Birth Center.  

• imageKestrel84:

imaged.squaredII:
    I just read that in France they're now considering the 41 week mark the "real" date.  My midwife likes this idea and has had me start thinking of my 41 week date as my actual due date because this is my first child.  I doubt that makes you feel much better considering how induction happy our country is, but I thought that I'd throw it out there!  41 weeks is totally natural!  

This is what I've been doing all along.  If it comes earlier than that, well great!  I know how you feel though, I'm starting to read too much into EVERYTHING...every twinge, pain.  Yesterday I didn't feel well and was convinced that last night would be the night, but nope.  It is frustrating.  Anyway, I can't help but notice you're in the Metro Detroit area.  Where are you delivering??  I'm in Redford, but am delivering in Okemos at the Greenhouse Birth Center.  

My DH grew up in Redford - his brothers still live over that way. I'm delivering in the Alternative Birth Care Unit at Providence Southfield. I figure tomorrow would be a nice day to go - it's supposed to be rainy, so no gardening. :P

I've saw some info about Greenhouse when I was researching providers supportive of natural childbirth. I didn't look at it too closely as I felt like driving out to Okemos might be a bit much for me (we're over on the east side, increasing the drive by a good 45 minutes or so). Look forward to hearing about your experience!

• Most first timers go to 41 weeks... I had a friend go SEVENTEEN days over her due date! She had a natural birth with midwives -- they did have to intervene to get labor started but once they did, she was fine. They put a tiny crumble of a miso tablet in her and it jump started contractions. DO NOT do that yourslef but ask your midwife...

Have you tried an induction cocktail? The recipe is 1 tablespoon castor oil mixed in some protein (eggs, peanut butter) or I mix it with champagne and almond paste.

GL!!

• I hear you. And the check ins from everyone asking if you are in labor yet don't help, do they?

With my first I only made it to 36w6d, so the thought was I would go early again this time. Well today is my actual EDD. I have been doing homeopathics, red raspberry leaf tea, evening primrose oil, & listening to birthing affirmations for 4 weeks now and the only hint that a baby may come out of me anytime soon is that I lost my mucus plug 2 days ago. 

The avg 1st time Mama goes to 41w1d & the average repeat Mama goes to 40w3d. So I'm trying to think of it as I'm almost there, instead of "late" - Good luck to you, I hope you get the birth you want.

• are you using hosp or out of hosp mw's?

there are certain things that you can do to induce naturally.  i didn't see you mention any of them.  this leads me to believe that you are using hosp mw's.  we have had good luck using herbs, homeopathics, breast pump and sometimes castor oil. 

• imageTexas77again:

are you using hosp or out of hosp mw's?

there are certain things that you can do to induce naturally.  i didn't see you mention any of them.  this leads me to believe that you are using hosp mw's.  we have had good luck using herbs, homeopathics, breast pump and sometimes castor oil. 

They are hospital midwives, but they have me using an array of natural induction/preparation herbs (EPO, RRL tea, black and blue cohosh, arnica) and if I haven't gone by my next appt Wednesday, we'll discuss starting to use the breast pump and their recs for a castor oil cocktail to be tried right before they have to induce medically (I think the hospital will allow 13 days past my due date). I have great confidence in them, and they've told me that they very rarely have to use pit to induce someone (as in a couple times a year), so I'm trying to stay positive that it will happen eventually!

• I hear you.  Although, I was only a few days late. 

At my 40w,2d appt, my MW checked me and I was 70% effaced and 3cm dilated.  That was a big jump in how much I had effaced from the previous week's appt and I swear it was because of all of the sex that DH and I were having.  You probably already know this, but in case not, the prostaglandins in sperm help soften and dilate the cervix.  She said my progress was perfect for membrane stripping and I told her to do it because I was afraid of having to be induced.  It worked and I woke up the next morning having contractions.  Ben was born @ 2:29 that afternoon.

Best of luck to you!

• I know how you feel!

My first due date was March 6th, revised due date was March 12th, baby came on March 27th. The week between 41 and 42 was the hardest. I was completely convinced she would never come out! But, looking back on it, I wouldn't change a thing. She came out when she was ready.

If it makes you feel any better, my chiropractor says, "Healthy mamas carry their babies longer." :)

• imageseans_grl:

I hear you.  Although, I was only a few days late. 

At my 40w,2d appt, my MW checked me and I was 70% effaced and 3cm dilated.  That was a big jump in how much I had effaced from the previous week's appt and I swear it was because of all of the sex that DH and I were having.  You probably already know this, but in case not, the prostaglandins in sperm help soften and dilate the cervix.  She said my progress was perfect for membrane stripping and I told her to do it because I was afraid of having to be induced.  It worked and I woke up the next morning having contractions.  Ben was born @ 2:29 that afternoon.

Best of luck to you!

The prostaglandins ARE great, but what really helps labor is female orgasm and the resulting release of oxytocin.  So, if you're trying sex, it's more important for you to finish than it is for him to ;) 

• hang in there! from a mama who cooks her babies well (induced at 41&6 with DS1, DS2 born at home at 42&2!), i know how tough it is!

my best advice, if you want to prevent induction, is to ask for a biophysical u/s when they start saying you 'need' an induction. if the u/s shows that you and baby are doing well, they may let you go longer!

with DS1 i spent all my time worrying and trying to naturally induce labor...with DS2 i just forgot about it and tried to enjoy those last few weeks with him conveniently in my belly.

• The average for a first time Mom is 41 weeks 3 days.  Your due date is an estimate, so your baby is not really "late."   You can try all those natural induction methods over and over, but they won't work if your baby is not ready to come.  You won't be pregnant forever- really!

Just a few affirmations from a Mama who had her beautiful perfectly pink baby girl at 43 weeks.    

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"