Blended Families
Options

Question

Since I'm being held hostage by a 5 month old on a nap strike who FINALLY went to sleep. On my lap. And I'm afraid to move her.

SS had closing ceremonies for baseball on Tuesday. All the kids get a trophy but SS's team came in first place so their trophy was the largest.

BM and DH were arguging afterwards about who gets to keep the trophy. I kept my mouth shut and distracted SS by asking him about his trophy, etc.

On the way home I told him that I thought it was only fair that BM get to keep it since we have his from last year at our house. His response was that since we didn't get his reading trophy that it was only fair that we get his baseball trophy. I think he's being a little over dramatic.

So, who hangs on to stuff like that?

PS- Please don't say the trophys can spend equal time at the houses. Since I'm the one doing drop offs and pick-ups the last thing I want to do is play joint custody with a bunch of stuff. It's bad enough that BM gives us a list of her stuff for SS to bring to school.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Question

• Options

It should be where ever SS wants it to stay.

When we buy/get toys, gifts and other stuff for the boys we believe it is their stuff. So if they want to take it and leave it at their grandparents or BMs house, the can. We do have to remind them, if they complain about being bored, to bring toys/ stuff back to our house so they can play with it. This has worked out very well for us. BM also had this attitude until recently.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPicBabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagehesperfect:

When we buy/get toys, gifts and other stuff for the boys we believe it is their stuff. So if they want to take it and leave it at their grandparents or BMs house, the can. We do have to remind them, if they complain about being bored, to bring toys/ stuff back to our house so they can play with it. This has worked out very well for us. BM also had this attitude until recently.  

Yes

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    SWmamaSWmama member
    imagehesperfect:

I agree but what if the child wants the trophy to follow him around? At what point do you say "it needs a home, son"?

• Options
    When SS was in football the parents were the ones paying for the trophies so we made sure that 2 were bought and the team mom knew. Also she held on to the 2nd one until after the ceremony so no one felt bad because he got two. That being said it is already after the fact I think it should go were ss wants it. It is his after all.
    Proud Step Mom to Zachary 10-26-98
    Loving Wife to Billy 04-28-07
    Proud mom to Jeremy 08-15-08

• Options

Not really helpful, but was it the World Series?????  How cool can this trophy be?  HONESTLY!  Why doesn't he just put it on a shelf with his other trophies that no one looks at or cares about and forget about it like a normal child? 

It's totally weird that this is even an issue, and there are actual arguments ensuing over it!!!  Lol

If it were me, I would have it stay at custodial parents house, simply because that's where he is most the time.  Maybe invest in a small trophy case, since these things are obviously something that is treasured, and then there is no question that trophies go.......  in the trophy case.

Since that suggestion will probably just ensure he has a trophy case in each home, tell him to pick a spot and that's where it lives.  No travelling back and forth and switching homes.  One choice that is permanent.

• Options
    SWmamaSWmama member
    imagetsevere:

Not really helpful, but was it the World Series?????  How cool can this trophy be?  HONESTLY!  Why doesn't he just put it on a shelf with his other trophies that no one looks at or cares about and forget about it like a normal child? 

It's totally weird that this is even an issue, and there are actual arguments ensuing over it!!!  Lol

If it were me, I would have it stay at custodial parents house, simply because that's where he is most the time.  Maybe invest in a small trophy case, since these things are obviously something that is treasured, and then there is no question that trophies go.......  in the trophy case.

Since that suggestion will probably just ensure he has a trophy case in each home, tell him to pick a spot and that's where it lives.  No travelling back and forth and switching homes.  One choice that is permanent.

I totally agree! Unforunately it's not the World Series trophy. Maybe next year once we put him in the draft to go pro. Stick out tongue

I'm liking the trophy case thing though. I'll bring that up to DH tonight.

MissSusie I like the two trophy idea but I think the organization pays for them.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks it's silly.

• Options
    mom2onemom2one member
    SS should decide.
    Stay at Home Mama to 3 Beautiful Children by the miracles of Birth & Adoption
  • Options
    taagenttaagent member

SD's cheerleading trophy is at our house.  It is here for three reasons: 1. we were afraid the "other girl" would break it. 2. We PAID for SD to cheer (well over $250 for her uniform, shoes, fees etc), 3. we were the ones who made sure SD attended every single game and practice even when BM flaked. 

SD did get a certificate which DH and I paid to have copied (a nice copy) and she got a medal for perfect attendance (the only one on her squad that never missed a game or practice), the medal is at BM's (which is ironic since as I said, we made sure she had a ride to every practice and was on time - that sometimes meant driving to BM's to pick her up when BM was busy in the garden).  BM put the copy of the certificate and the medal in a display case so it would be safe.

• Options

There are 2 schools of thought that I have.

1 is the kid should get to decide.

The other is, who pays for him to be in baseball, pays for his gear, etc?  If its you and DH, then you guys should get to keep it in his room at your house.

If the kid has no opinion one way or another, then I would say if one person or the other pays-that's where it should be. 

• Options

imagemom2one:
    SS should decide.

Yes I'm agreeing with mom2one.  This is how it works at our house, the trophy is about SS not the adults.  It seems incredibly childish to 'fight' over it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'd say that wherever your SS would like it to be.  Or I believe a PP said about getting a second (of the same) trophy for one at each house... Maybe if you explained that SS splits time between houses, they would be willing to sell an extra to you?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"