Preemies
Options

I hate the car seat!!!!

My baby was born last Saturday at exactly 35 weeks after my water broke unexpectedly.   Fortunately she is very heathy and learned to bottle feed almost immediately and we are still working on the breast but we were allowed to bring her home.  We had to do the car seat stress test that although technically it didn't appear that she passed at first they determined that it was machine error and that she was ok to come.  We have now used the car seat to come home and to go to the doctor's office with a stop at the store. The car seat has an insert that my husband bought (I don't recall the name)  which was recommended.  However,  I hate the car seat, I hate how the straps cut into her, how she slumps in it, how the chest bar comes up to her chin, etc.  I'm scared to turn away from her while she's in it, I'm afraid her limbs will turn blue or something (it's hard to tell as she has a slight discoloration to her limbs and they are regularly cold.)

Does anyone have any suggestions?  I don't know what to do, if we need a better insert, if there is something else needed for preemies in car seats, or if I need to get a different seat, we have a Graco 35, which is definitely something I would rather not do.  She's 4 pounds, 13 oz; small but not outrageously small.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Trying to Conceive Ticker

Re: I hate the car seat!!!!

• Options
    My DD was about this size when she came home (and in a Graco) and we were told NOT to use any inserts.  In case of a sudden stop and she moves forward just a little, the insert could fall behind her head, thus causing her head to stay leaning forward and restricting her airway.  Instead they sent us home with 2 blankets from the NICU rolled long-ways and put one on each side of her.  That seemed to work for us until she was bigger.  Try the blankets rolled up and see if you notice a difference.  HTH!
  • Options

Keep in mind our LO was 6lbs when born, but we have the chicco cortina 30 and that worked out very well. And congrats!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I remember feeling like that with the carseat and pulling over on the side of the road going to and from Dr's apptments just to see if she was still breathing. My solution: I didn't take her anywhere unnecessary (or alone, if I could help it) for the first few months until she was bigger and I felt more comfortable about her in it.
  • Options

imageagray13:
    My DD was about this size when she came home (and in a Graco) and we were told NOT to use any inserts.  In case of a sudden stop and she moves forward just a little, the insert could fall behind her head, thus causing her head to stay leaning forward and restricting her airway.  Instead they sent us home with 2 blankets from the NICU rolled long-ways and put one on each side of her.  That seemed to work for us until she was bigger.  Try the blankets rolled up and see if you notice a difference.  HTH!

This. Don't use after-market inserts. You can roll up receiving blankets and stick one along each side of her as well as a small washcloth/burpcloth in between her crotch and the bottom buckle to help her have a snugger fit. We used the SnugRide 32 and DS was 5 lb 6 oz when he was discharged. GL!

• Options

We used the chicco keyfit with no after market inserts. My daughters were 3lbs 15oz and 5lbs 5oz when we brought them home!

Modifying because I just realized we brought home the smaller daughter in a car bed and she passed her car seat test at 4 and a half pounds.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DS was about the same size when he came home. I remember feeling the same way when we brought him home and to his first doctors appointment. While they are tiny now, remember that they are going to grow quickly. The 3rd time we had to put DS in his car seat he fit much better and his neck was much stronger and less floppy. I also second using receing cloths rolled up next to you LO to give a snugger fit. Congrats BTW!
  • Options

I thought the minimum for the Graco seats was 5 lbs? 

Ditto others about the after market inserts - you're only supposed to use ones included with the seat so that they have been tested.

The 35 is bigger than the regular Snugride, but if your LO is growing, she'll grow into it.

I felt the same way about the car seat - DD was 5 lbs, 1 oz when we took her home, so we just stayed home except for doctor appts.  She was 7 lbs at her 1 month appt and now fits into the seat really well!  Yes, her head slumps down when she's super sleepy, but someone is always in the back with her and it never affects her breathing.

BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

Ditto the other girls. Don't use any insert that did not come already attached to your carseat. Not only can they cause beathing issues for small babies, but they can also make ejection for a car seat likely incase of an accident. A lot of insurances companies now a days refuse to pay medical claims on a baby injured in a car accident that was using inserts, bundle me's or anything that did not come with the seat.

I think almost all the Graco seats are only rated for 5 lbs and up. Your LO is so close now I wouldn't run out and but another seat. I'm sure her weight will go up to 5 in no time.  like the other girls said, blankets rolled and placed aroundher after she is already buckled in will help. But more likely than not she is fine in there and it will get better. :)

• Options
    The minimum for the Graco's like most other carseats is 5 pounds, so your little one is still a bit small to fit well in it, plus you have a Graco 35 which is even bigger than a traditional snugride.  You shouldn't use inserts that aren't a part of the seat asothers have said, and the chest clip should be across your babies nipples not at her chin.  Though your little one will grow into her carseat if you are worried it might be worth it to invest in a smaller snugride for a while which might help?... or the Saftey First Onboard 35 is actually designed to better fit a preemie it was lots of great support padding and both the crotch belt and the shoulder harnesses adjust and they have 2 different recline settings for when they are preemies and for when they get bigger.  I wish I had had the Saftey first seat with my first DS who came home at 5 pounds, I bought it for my second son who hopefully will not be arriving until September-ish but right now I'm on bedrest for PTL so we'll see.  But this is a great seat and it might make you feel better... otherwise feel free to ride in the back to keep an eye on your baby in their seat until they are bigger and older and you feel more comfortable!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"