North Dakota Babies

Am I a Bad Mom?

In the hot topics at the bottom of the screen, there is one about how do you clean your baby's hand before they chew on it.  The poster's child is about my DDs age, and my DD chews on her hand all the time, but it never occurred to me to clean it before she chews on it.  Its not like she is crawling or picking things up...  I kind of went "Oh crap, should I have been doing this?"  Am I going to get sent to bad mommy land for only cleaning my child's hands in the bath?

ETA:  Most of the responders said they clean their babies hands with baby wipes.  I don't know what is on the wipes, but I'm not sure I want my baby putting whatever that is in their mouth either...

Re: Am I a Bad Mom?

• If I had to clean Gianna's hands every time she put them in her mouth, I would be cleaning them all day literally.....So..no I do not clean them ahead of time..When she starts crawling all the time etc I will try and make more of a consious effort but again, I can not do it every time...So if you are a bad mommy, so am I :)
  • No, I don't think you are a bad mom. You would only spend your day wiping her hand with a non-germ-infested-something all day long if you did it everytime she chewed on her hands, and I think that would make you feel like a bad mom because I can't imagine anyone enjoying spending their days that way. My mom was a neat freak when I was a baby, and my great grandmother told her that if she never let me get dirty or be exposed to germs I would have no immunity and be sick all the time. Needless to say, at the ripe old age of 3, mud and I were best friends. Anyway, I think you are a great mom and don't need to constantly wash sweet Briley's hands! :-)
  • Loading the player...
  • You are not a bad mom! I wouldn't think her hands were dirty at her age anyway...
    Anniversary
  • No, you're a rockin mom.  And besides you gotta build up the immune system somehow!
  • If you're a bad mom, then I am too, Blayne!  I only wash her hands in the bath.  It never occurred to me to wash them otherwise.  Only once have I actually "washed" them outside of the tub- when we took her to Bart's work and everyone kept touching her hands.  Drove me crazy!!!  My question is, what are these kids touching that they feel the need to do this?  Hayden only comes into contact with me, DH, the co-sleeper, the carseat, and her floor mat- and none of that has any "new" germs that she's never been exposed to before.  Some ppl are just over the top.  YOU are a GREAT mommy! 
  • I agree with everyone else--there isn't anything on her hands that should need to be wiped off.  She's not even mobile yet!  Plus, she's building her natural immunity.  I totally agree with you--I would be way more concerned about her eating the ingredients in the diaper wipes.  You're a great mommy!
  • I just clean her hands and face before I put her down at night
  • imagetrevess:
    If you're a bad mom, then I am too, Blayne!  I only wash her hands in the bath.  It never occurred to me to wash them otherwise.  Only once have I actually "washed" them outside of the tub- when we took her to Bart's work and everyone kept touching her hands.  Drove me crazy!!!  My question is, what are these kids touching that they feel the need to do this?  Hayden only comes into contact with me, DH, the co-sleeper, the carseat, and her floor mat- and none of that has any "new" germs that she's never been exposed to before.  Some ppl are just over the top.  YOU are a GREAT mommy! 

Honestly sometimes when I've met a new little one, playing with his/her hands are the only option for whatever reason.  I think the idea is that they are trying to interact with the little one not cause any issues.  I do try to wash my hands before AND after playing with a little one when I can.  Never thought it would bother a mom, but it's good to know. 

• imagesillybiochemist:

imagetrevess:
    If you're a bad mom, then I am too, Blayne!  I only wash her hands in the bath.  It never occurred to me to wash them otherwise.  Only once have I actually "washed" them outside of the tub- when we took her to Bart's work and everyone kept touching her hands.  Drove me crazy!!!  My question is, what are these kids touching that they feel the need to do this?  Hayden only comes into contact with me, DH, the co-sleeper, the carseat, and her floor mat- and none of that has any "new" germs that she's never been exposed to before.  Some ppl are just over the top.  YOU are a GREAT mommy! 

Honestly sometimes when I've met a new little one, playing with his/her hands are the only option for whatever reason.  I think the idea is that they are trying to interact with the little one not cause any issues.  I do try to wash my hands before AND after playing with a little one when I can.  Never thought it would bother a mom, but it's good to know. 

Of course I knew they weren't trying to be malicious in any way- but these were all people whom I had never even met before and none of them washed their hands before touching her.  She was only 4 weeks old at the time, so I was still being extra cautious.  I have loosened up a little since then!

• MissMexMissMex member
    I carry a pack of food grade pacifier wipes in the diaper bag, if  notice surface dirt, I'll use those on her hands, when we are out& about. iIl usually wipe her hands & face with a wet warm wash cloth in the am & pm.
    you def are not a bad mother. Babies need some exposure to germs to Build s healthy Immune system.

K+S 9.18.9 | DD #1 age 2 | PG # 5 EDD 9.17.12

• Lisa7Lisa7 member

imageAshleysred:
    No, you're a rockin mom.  And besides you gotta build up the immune system somehow!

This exactly

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"