D.C. Area Babies

The Childcare Search Begins Again...

Hi All,

I thought I had found a childcare provider prior to actually having my baby. Now that she's here and five weeks old, I don't feel like the provider I picked before is the right person to keep her. She's a nice lady and if I had a toddler, I think she'd be great but I just don't feel like there is a place for my infant daughter with her. I feel like my LO would get schlepped around and have lots of propped bottles. Of course, none of these thoughts presented themselves previously.

Short of a financial miracle, I have to return to work in 7 weeks. I am already dreading leaving her. I just feel so overwhelmed still and I have no routine- or at least not one that's conducive to getting up and returning to a day job. It doesn't help that I had postpartum hemorrhaging and surgery last week due to retain placenta.

We live in the City of Fairfax right off 236 by Pickett Road. I have to travel to Woodbridge for work. I'm looking for childcare located somewhere in between. DH works in D.C. so it's the me show as far as getting LO to and from childcare. Do any of you have any suggestions for a provider or center? Thanks for reading through all this...I'm so grateful for your help.

Re: The Childcare Search Begins Again...

• I have a person who is looking to build her in home service. She is in Manassas just on the other side of Lakeridge - let me know if you are interested. She is a former NICU nurse. My twin boys, 3 months, will be with her for this summer and hopefully if she can find additional children and hire help it will be a permanent placement.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers image
  • Aw, I'm sorry this is happening.  Sounds like you are going with your gut, which is the right thing to do.  I'm sorry I don't have any recs for you, just a suggestion to start looking at in-homes and encouragement that I didn't find DD #1's in home lady until DD was 6 weeks old, so you have time.

Good luck!!!

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm sorry--that sucks, but I agree with PPers--you have to go with your gut on stuff like this and you WILL find something before you have to go back to work.  We found an in home daycare in 2 weeks when DD#1 was 11 months old and I got offered a full time job.  With DD#2, I didn't really look until after she was born and I had no problem finding something before going back to work when she was 8 weeks old.  Have you checked out InfantToddler?  They can match you up with an in home daycare if you can't find something on your own.

Good luck!!

• I think DD was around your LOs age when we secured childcare through infant toddler.

I wanted to write to you other point about fearing you will never get in a schedule.  I really felt the same way.  Things change so much all the time with infants.  A one week old and a one month old are different creatures as you now know.  The same is true between 5 and 8 weeks and 8 and 12 weeks.  It was only after 8 weeks that I started to feel really confident and that I was going to be OK at the this parenting AND perhaps living my life thing. It takes time.  By 10 weeks I was super comfortable, knew how to make it out the door without taking an hour, and was back on track with returning phone calls, meeting friends for lunch, rediscovering the grocery store, etc.  You will get there.  I promise. 

Good luck with daycare! 

• We live in Fairfax City off of 236, but by route 50/29.  DD goes to the Kindercare on Lee Highway - that may be out of the way for you.  There is a KC on Main Street - but I wouldn't recommend that one.  I do know the director at the one in Woodbridge and would recommend that center.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Goblin Gallup 5k 10/30/11 - 36:46
    Turkey Trot 5k 11/24/11 - 35:14
    Festival of Lights 5k 12/31/11 - 33:13
    Love the Run You're With 5k 2/13/12 - 31:58
    Backyard Burn 5 miler 3/11/12 - 1:08:42
    Cherry Blossom 10 Miler 4/1/12 - 1:58:22
    Wine Country HF 6/2/12 - TBD
    Spartan Race 8/25/12 - TBD
  • When we lived in Falls Church, DD went to Merritt Academy on Rt 50 by Nutley...we loved it, but it was pricey compared to in home centers.  We moved so we had to leave, but we still miss it.  Good luck. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"