Adoption
Options

Potential Match!!!!

I just got a call from our caseworker about a potential match.  Everything sounds perfect except one concern.  The birth mother had syphilis, was treated last month.  She is due July 15th.  From the reading that I have done tonight, they say that it is best to get treated in the first four months or there is a good chance that it will get passed down to the baby.  It seems, from the reading, that as long as the baby gets treated there are no major concerns, but it worries me.  I want this SO bad, but am scared to make a decision right now because I've lost all perspective.  Has anyone dealt with syphilis?

Re: Potential Match!!!!

• Options
    I don't have any info for you but I just wanted to say I'm thinking about you and whatever you decide will be the right decision.
    My Wonderful Sister is my GC!!!! 3 IUIs, 2 unmedicated, 1 50mg of Clomid = All BFNs Next step IVF!!!! Melinda & Michael 5*6*06 God Bless The Broken Road
  • Options
    Good luck! I have nothing to shae about that but like many have told me follow your heart and your gut! Unless both of you are ready for the what ifs then dont do it. You have to do what is best for your family.
    Proud Momma of our daughter Charlie! She found her forever home August 2010 Hope to be the proud momma of #2 in July
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree, follow your instincts, they'll head you in the right direction.  Sorry I don't have any information for you about syphillis, but if it's something that is 100% treatable with no long-term side effects, doesn't sound so bad.  But again, your gut will tell you what to do.  BTW, you're only human, it's hard not to lead with your emotions, so never feel bad about it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    mom2embmom2emb member
    Has the BM had regular prenatal care?  I'm wondering if she's had syphilis the entire pregnancy, or if this might be something she got recently.  Sorry I don't have a magic answer for you, but you'll make the right decision.
  • Options
    Best of luck. ?I'm sure you will make the right decision for your family.
    Left, Right
  • Options

I highly recommend  you talk to a doctor about this situation.  Parents for Ethical Adoption Reform put out a list of doctors that specialize in adoption, but I think in this case most doctors should be able to advise you on the risks.

• Options

image**AmberF**:
    I agree, follow your instincts, they'll head you in the right direction.  Sorry I don't have any information for you about syphillis, but if it's something that is 100% treatable with no long-term side effects, doesn't sound so bad.  But again, your gut will tell you what to do.  BTW, you're only human, it's hard not to lead with your emotions, so never feel bad about it.

This!

• Options
    kgs0505kgs0505 member
    I second Captain... talk to a doctor about the situation.  See if you can get a little more info regarding the issue and ask a doctor who will give you the risks.. one of the adoption doctors or maybe your own OB.

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

Last ditch FET resulted in BFP, and identical twin girls!

• Options
    I totally agree with those who advise you to talk to a doctor. The doctor should be able to provide you with better information. I know that's what happened to us. We were presented with a potential match were the BM had health problems that could affect the baby. I did my internet research but wasn't really able to make a decision until I spoke to a trusted doctor. Good luck!
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

https://www.pregnancy-info.net/stds_syphilis_pregnancy.html

I found this but who knows how reliable it is although it seems pretty informative. I would second and third getting in touch with a doctor that can verify any risks. It sounds like it mostly depends on how long she had it and at what month in her pregnancy did she get treated.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"