Indiana Babies
Options

I feel like an a$$ - advice needed (long)

When my grandpa found out we were going to do IVF he offered me the money for it on the spot.  Seriously within about 20 seconds of my saying that DH & I were going to have to do IVF he said "how much money do you need, honey?"  and he was completely willing to loan it to me.  He's one of the most generous people I've ever met.  He is my step-dad's father & I didn't grow up around him (mom & SD got married when I was in college) but I consider him as much, if not more, of a grandpa to me than the grandpa I knew growing up.  He has loaned $$ to many of his grandkids, none of whom have even attempted to pay him back.  Some don't even come see him anymore.  When he made the original offer, I thanked him for the offer & told he we were ok.  That we'd been saving for about a year and, combined with our tax return, we were going to have enough.

I never imagined our IVF cycle was going to end the way it did.

After talking to our RE and doing some healing, DH & I are are eager to move on to a FET cycle.  Our RE would really like us to try as soon as we are ready (July or Aug).  It will take us well into next year to save the money (we also have to save enough to cover my salery for a pay period as I am out of PTO & will have to take FMLA).  DH & I were talking to my parents & they suggested that we ask my g-pa if we can borrow the money.  After a few days of thinking about it I decided I am ok with this.  DH & I sat down yesterday and came up with a plan for paying him back & were just trying to find a day that we were both off & didn't already have plans to go talk to g-pa about it.   We're supposed to go up there on Sunday.

I talked to my step-dad today and got the news that my g-pa's health is declining rapidly.  His alzeimers is starting to cause him problems & he just doesn't think that g-pa will be around past this summer.  Step-dad still thinks I should ask to borrow the money.  I didn't feel the greatest about asking to begin with, but had made my peace with it - mostly b/c he had already offered & I know it would make him happy to help.  Now, knowing that his health is declining much more rapidly than any of us anticipated, I just feel like an a$$ for asking.  Ultimately it's my Uncle John who controls the money (he's the POA & lives with g-pa) so we would pay him back if grandpa's health doesn't improve, but ugh! 

Do I still ask?  do I not?  I was devistated when we lost this pregnancy and couldn't see how we were going to ever afford a FET cycle.  Then there was this glimmer of hope when we decided to ask to borrow the money.  Now, I feel like I've been punched in the gut.  My grandpa is probably dying and I'm conflicted about asking for the money.  I don't want to loose any more.  I don't want to loose my g-pa.  I don't want to loose any more time not having a child with DH.  I want off this rollercoaster.  I've had enough. 

Re: I feel like an a$$ - advice needed (long)

• Options

First of all (huge hugs) to you.  That is a lot to deal with.  I can't imagine what a hard spot this is to be in.  I would think that if it would truly make him happy to help you then you could ask knowing that you are giving him that happiness when he can still enjoy it. When the FET works he would probably have such joy knowing that he was able to help you achieve your dream. 

Just my thought.

Deleted
  • Options

My thoughts are exactly like sarahann's.  You have the most honest intentions and care for your g-pa, so don't feel bad!

My dh's g-ma just left us an inheritance, and I really want to honor her by doing something for Jake (saving for his education) that would make her happy and proud.  I see this as very much the same thing.

(((HUGS))) I worry about you. I hope something will work out.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ditto Sarah and Andrea.  I think if he offered, you should take it.  It would probably make him extrememly happy in the last months of his life to know that he is helping to create a new one.  ((HUGS))
  • Options
    amstepamstep member

We found out we were expecting right after my grandmother got her final, terminal diagnosis and was told she had a very few weeks.  I really struggled about telling her or not telling her.  Turns out, we did and she was grateful for the bright spot that she could focus on, instead of her own future.  She is a guardian angel right now for my little ones, and looking back, it was crazy of us to think we wouldn't have shared that joy with her.  He sounds like the kind of person who would rejoice in the possibilities with you. 

But gosh, I really feel for you right now.  Life just cannot be easy for you, and you're handling everything with such grace and hope.  Still keeping you guys in my prayers, and I'll add your grandpa to the list!

• Options
    lemen99lemen99 member

ditto!

(hugs)

• Options
    The worst that can happen is they'll say no--might as well try!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"