Preemies
Options

Adjusted age of 3.5 months....tummy time

How are/were your little ones at this age? 

My one DD who is much smaller than my other DD&DS is very good.  The other two are getting there, but at their developmental check-up, the PT said they should be better at lifting their heads.  My two that have more issues with tummy time are larger babies (15lbs and heads 97th percentile), which I think adds to issue of them not being able to lift so easily.

Upon the PT's suggestion, we use a rolled up blanket and colorful books, which seems to help.

I feel guilty (for not fitting in more tummy time) and upset that they are not where they are supposed to be according to their check-up.

Just wondering how your little ones were at this age.

Thanks!! 

Re: Adjusted age of 3.5 months....tummy time

• Options
    Vine07Vine07 member
    This sounds just like what is going on with DD...she is about 4.5 months adjusted and has a lot of difficulty with lifting her head as well. I've brought it up to my ped who didn;t think it was a big deal. I am very concerned about it so I am currently having her evaluated by Early Intervention. So far the PT sees my concerns but again doesn't seem to think it's too bad since she holds her head up very well in a sitting position. We have the second part of the eval today so we will see.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

my dd is 11 months actual, 8 months adjusted and STILL hates tummy time! haha.. which is keeping her from being able to crawl like she should be.

some suggestions from her PT and others were:

superman time...like holding them over your head etc. this will strengthen those neck muscles, but notsomuch the arms.. so it won't work exclusively.

belly to belly time. i've got big boobs so it works sort of like that rolled up blanket you're using. when dd was younger she really wanted to be held more so this was a nice alternative to putting her on the floor. and this is when she sort of learned that she could roll over too.. and i'd just catch her in my arms. 

knee playtime. this is a recent one. since dd is able to push herself up, but doesn't like to pull her legs underneath her (the beginnings of crawling) we do "step play". we've got a little ledge going down into our den and we cover it with a blanket and put her up on her knees over the step. it works like a CHARM! she'll stay like that for at least 15 minutes of so, whereas when i put her on her belly she almost immediately rolls over onto her back. (did i mention she HATES belly time? :)

i've got some pictures of how to place their knees on my blog under EI stuff... you have to make sure the knees are under the hips in order to work the proper muscles for crawling.

good luck!  they'll get it eventually, just fit it in when you can... that's the best we can do- especially with your multiples!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you ladies.  MommaMorris-I will check out your pictures!  I can take all the help I can get.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"