Preemies

A newbie question - 36w3d?

Hello everyone,

I haven't lurked on this board long, but I haven't visited much because I wasn't sure I "qualified". If I do, I'd love to join you ladies. My daughter was born early at 36w3d...I realize that is "just shy" of full term, but my question is....is she considered premature? I never got a direct answer to my question  (I was told she was "early", but I could never get a clarification of the difference between early and premature).

Maybe someone here has a good answer?

Thanks.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: A newbie question - 36w3d?

• A preemie is any child born before 37w gestation, so yes, you qualify. Many people will call your daughter "late pre-term" but it's the same difference.

It's really about you YOU feel. Some later preemies grow and develop w/o any issues at all, maybe didn't have any NICU time, or a very short stay.. and their moms don't "feel" different. But some struggle with milestones & development, or their moms still struggle with the emotional impact of the early end of their pregnancy, and the roller coaster of the NICU.

It's pretty individual. If you feel you need us.. we're here!

• welcome to the board
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • our son oliver was born the exact time as yours (36w, 3d)! The hospital is calling him "late pre-term" --- I don't really consider him a preemie but I guess he technically is.

congratulations!

• imageTriciaJoy:

A preemie is any child born before 37w gestation, so yes, you qualify. Many people will call your daughter "late pre-term" but it's the same difference.

It's really about you YOU feel. Some later preemies grow and develop w/o any issues at all, maybe didn't have any NICU time, or a very short stay.. and their moms don't "feel" different. But some struggle with milestones & development, or their moms still struggle with the emotional impact of the early end of their pregnancy, and the roller coaster of the NICU.

It's pretty individual. If you feel you need us.. we're here!

Thank you so much for making me feel welcome :)

Also, thank you for the explanation! That really was helpful. The thing is, Christa is my first born so I have no idea what to expect, really in terms of milestones and things. Maybe hearing other stories will help.

I will say though, that what you mentioned about the emotional impact of the early end of a pregnancy really spoke to me.

I felt guilt, and quite frankly, sorrow. I think because I was 40 lbs overweight, I didn't see the "bump moves" that thinner woman see and my bump didn't really start showing until later (well when it was obvious I was pregnant and not fat, LOL). So later on, although I had physical normal pregnancy issues, mostly what I was feeling was complete joy with each movement, feeling my belly, talking to the baby, the thought of never being alone. I never felt "get this baby out" like some woman in 3rd tri did. I feel like I missed something.

Thanks again.

• My DD was born at 36w0d and was considered a preemie. She only weighed 5 lbs 5 oz and weighed under 5 lbs when I took her home. She had to stay one extra night at the hospital. I tell you what, almost 7 yo now, she is smart as a whip. She was never late with any milestones. She was walking at 10 1/2 mos. You would never know she was a preemie if I didnt tell you. I also have a friend who had triplets at 32 weeks. They spent 4 weeks in the NICU and to see them now at 3 yo, you would never know it.
  • Those are very common feelings for the moms on this board. Perfectly natural. It will ease with time, but sometimes flare back up again. My son will be 2 in a few days and sometimes it still gets me, but it's *WAY* better than it used to be.

I am a very large woman myself. I never even wore maternity clothes. I only made it to 26w pregnant and literally ordered some maternity clothes the day before I started getting sick. (Thought I wouldn't realize how sick I was for a few days yet.) It is another thing I feel cheated out of.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"