Natural Birth

Water birth question

I am planning a water birth and though I have done quite a bit of research on the actual labor and birth in the tub, I had one question.

What happens for the delivery of the placenta? Ideally, I'd like to give birth in the tub and have the skin-to-skin contact and some time with baby and DH in there. Also, I'd like the cord to stop pulsating before it's cut.

But...I am not sure how this works in conjunction with the afterbirth. In my birthing class they mentioned that they'll definitely make you get out of the tub for that part, because they cannot measure blood loss in the water. Makes sense, but how soon do they make you scramble out of the tub? I am imagining this part being awkward...Any ideas about this?

Re: Water birth question

• I didn't have a water birth (although we did use a baby pool as a birthing tub for laboring in), but in my case, there definitely would have been time to get out of the pool to deliver the placenta.  I delivered DD on all fours, leaning on a birthing ball.  Then they passed her to me through my legs, and I had to turn over and get on the other side of the bed.  I think it was at least 10 minutes before I delivered the placenta.  So you'd have time to get out.
  • Im sure you would have time, it doesnt come out instantly once the baby does. I dont think that my midwife will make me get out for that though. No they cant measure the bleeding in the water, but if they have a lof of experience with waterbirths they can sort of eyeball it and they can feel how well your uterus is contracting. Plus my plan is to start BFing LO right away so that should help too.
  • Loading the player...
  • I had a waterbirth. My plan was also to wait until the cord stopped pulsating, but they had to cut it from around his neck so that part didn't happen. After the baby was delivered he was placed on my chest and we remained in the pool together for about 10 minutes while they drew cord from the blood, set up some towels outside the pool for me to get out, etc. Then they gave him to my partner and I got out to deliver the placenta. They checked the baby out right beside me while I was delivering the placenta and getting my stiches. I was breastfeeding within an hour of delivery (the stiches took a long time).

I've heard that some midwives will allow you to stand up in the pool and deliver the placenta into a bowl, although I think this would be awkward. 

• flyer23flyer23 member
    Mine took a while to come out. My midwife was fine with me delivering it in the tub, but I ended up having to get out to deliver it anyway because it wasn't coming out. It was about an hour after the birth that I finally delivered it. So I had plenty of time to hang out in the tub before dealing with all that.

Mommy to DD1 (June 2007), DS (January 2010), DD2 (July 2012), and The Next One (EDD 3/31/2015)

• I had a waterbirth.  I don't know exactly how long it was, but I was satisfied with the time I had with LO in the water before we got out.  I got to hold him, we took pictures, DH gave him a bath, all with us still in the tub.  The cord was cut after it stopped pulsating.

Then they started getting us out of the tub, which all of a sudden became more urgent when I started losing a lot of blood.  They helped me out of the tub, cleaned me off some, and then I laid on a hospital bed for the first time for the delivery of the placenta and a few stitches.

Just ask what the procedure is at your facility.

• i had lots of time.  dd was born, i held her, talked to her, etc.  after a few minutes, we were getting cold, so i handed her to dh, got out of the tub, dried off, and climbed in bed.  she was latched on and nursing by the time i delivered the placenta.
  • CTri17CTri17 member

I didn't end up giving birth in the tub because DD had a few Decels but when I  got out of the tub while she was crowning it really wasn't that bad.

I'm sure they will have someone hold the baby and help you out. It won't be awkward, good luck!

~Christina S~ EST: 9/27/08        *May 2015 Jan. Signature Challenge-
                                                     You had one job- Parents magazine

BFP-3/17/14 --M/C 4/25/14

• I labored in the tub, delivered in the tub.  I pulled her out of the water and cuddled her to me.  After a minute or so they asked me to get out of the tub.  The midwife helped me out, while I held DD.  She was still attached by the umbilical cord, but it was long enough that I could do that.  If it would have been shorter I think they would have cut it.  They helped me over to the bed where I laid down with DD on my chest until it was time to deliver the placenta.  It was a bit awkward, but I barely noticed.  I was too busy staring at my DD!
    Mama to Lucy (7/06), Lexi (5/09), and Max (11/11) M/C 12/17/10
  • I had three water births and delivered all three placentas in the pool while I was snuggling my babes.
    Mom to six awesome kids - Levi is 12, Landen is 8, Gabrielle is 6, Lucas is 3, and Oliver and Samuel are 2 years old. Love my crew. Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had a water birth but was NOT allowed to deliver the placenta in the birthing tub.  I delivered my son and it was within just a few minutes that it got very busy in the room because they said my placenta was coming fast and I had to get out!  A nurse quickly had DH cut the cord, another one took DS out of my arms, and a few people were trying to get me up and onto a bed.  I have no regrets for having a water birth, but the after birth was not what I had envisioned and everything started happening fast and was really chaotic. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Interesting. Sounds like there is a mix of those who are allowed to deliver in the pool and those who are forced to get out. Doesn't sound like anyone had a bad experience, really, either way though, so that's great! I am just trying to imagine climbing out of a pool minutes after giving birth with an umbilical cord hanging out of me and just wanting to be given my baby back. Haha.

I have checked the procedure at my facility, and they said no way to afterbirth in the full pool...they did say though, that they can quickly drain the pool if it I can't get out in time or if I'd rather stay put. So I suppose that is an option to consider.

• I had a waterbirth with DS and delivered the placenta while sort of standing/squatting above the water, and then went straight to the bed.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I delivered in the tub (homebirth) and immediately held my baby. We got to sit in the tub and cuddle/nurse for (what felt like to me) a long time. I delivered the placenta in the water. The midwife inspected it and put it in a plastic bag. I stayed in the tub...which then looked like a blood bath.

A little bit later I said I was ready to get out. I handed off the baby (and the bag with the placenta) to my husband. I got out of the tub and into the shower. While I was showering the midwives cleaned everything up. Then, I was examined (tiny internal tear- no stitches) and tucked into bed.

My husband helped the midwife with the newborn exam...cut the cord, weighed her, put her first diaper on, etc. All of that was done at the foot of the bed, so I was able to watch and take pictures. :) When Alice was finished with her exam, the midwife and her assistant left and we went to bed. Awesome experience!

• imageMelBolt:

I delivered in the tub (homebirth) and immediately held my baby. We got to sit in the tub and cuddle/nurse for (what felt like to me) a long time. I delivered the placenta in the water. The midwife inspected it and put it in a plastic bag. I stayed in the tub...which then looked like a blood bath.

A little bit later I said I was ready to get out. I handed off the baby (and the bag with the placenta) to my husband. I got out of the tub and into the shower. While I was showering the midwives cleaned everything up. Then, I was examined (tiny internal tear- no stitches) and tucked into bed.

My husband helped the midwife with the newborn exam...cut the cord, weighed her, put her first diaper on, etc. All of that was done at the foot of the bed, so I was able to watch and take pictures. :) When Alice was finished with her exam, the midwife and her assistant left and we went to bed. Awesome experience!

Sounds like a great birth! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"