Postpartum Depression
Options

PPD after 6+ months...??

Hi ladies! I couldn't be more grateful this board is around more than today...

Here goes: Lately, I'd say for about a week now, I have been what I think is depressed. I have never suffered from depression in my life (aside from maybe being in bed for 2 days and feeling sad after a breakup, but who hasn't?) anyway, after DS was born I went through what I thought were the baby blues. I was sad, tired, anxious, feeling like DS didn't deserve me as his mother, and I would cry almost everyday for about 2 weeks. Fast forward to when DS was two months old and the feelings just............subsided I guess. I fetl fine. I was happy, I couldn't (and still can't) get enough of DS and life was (and still is) good.

Well, about a month ago I began working once again. The first week was really hard, but I was so proud of myself for not crying or feeling blue. I so anticipated going through those feelings once again just because I knew I'd be leaving DS for 8 hours a day, when he was already used to being with me 24/7. Well now, fast forward to a week ago. I find DS beginning to mumble "mama"...I lost it. I have been in this depressive funk for over a week. I'm not feeling the same symptoms from before, but now I'm just feeling lost. Like DS is growing and I'm missing out. I want to attach him to me ALL day and never let him out of my sight. I want to bed share, never let him go and be there for him morning, noon and night. I have been feeling SO SAD, and tired, really tired. I don't want to get out of bed, but I know I have to. The only thing that gets me out of bed is knowing that I have to go to work to support my kid, but if I could, I would quit in the blink of an eye tomorrow. At work all I do is think about DS and I get teary eyed. This is every single day since last week.

I guess my question is: can PPD happen after 6 months? Is this even PPD? I have just never felt this way. I mean I knew I'd be attached to DS, but never like this. I was never the "stay at home" type, but I just can't imagine being away from DS anymore. As it is, I'm playing hookie from work tomorrow just because I miss him SOOO much. I don't know what to do...when I'm with him, I'm happy, but I cry. I cry because I know tomorrow I have to leave again. FI thankfully has been super supportive and knows how hard this is, but he's the only one that knows what I'm going thorugh and even he doesn't know it all.

Thanks for getting this far Smile and thanks in advance for your advice and responses. I'm glad I have somewhere to vent and get some answers..I feel like I'm a balloon waiting to pop...ugh..

Thank you ladies!

Re: PPD after 6+ months...??

• Options
    i've heard PPD can pop up anytime in the 1st year.  I found talking to a therapist about my particular issues to be really helpful.  my problem was kinda the opposite of yours, i had bonding problems and didn't want to be with my son.  my therapist was able to give me some coping strategies to help me function better and be the kind of mom i wanted to be.
  • Options
    My story is very similar to yours.  I was so attached to LO!  I was soooo happy to be with him, and yet I would cry.  And yes, PPD can happen that late, and even later.  I was diagnosed when LO was nearly 7 months old.  Please, talk to someone.  It can get sooo much better.  Don't get me wrong, you will still miss your LO.  That's part of being a good Mama.  But, it won't be nearly as bad!  GL!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Thank you. I'm glad I'm not alone. I was beginning to think I'm nuts. I actually called my Dr and set up an appointment to talk to him about this. I just don't feel like myself and it sucks...I guess I'll se what he says.

Thanks for the advice ladies! Smile

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"